+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Parents in 2015

sylvia27

Star Member
Dec 9, 2010
Anyone sponsoring parents in 2015 when the program reopens? Let's connect and help each other in this process.
By the way, I'm applying from Quebec. I started to prepare some of the forms and fill them up. Hopefully they don't update them last minute.

Did anyone else start with preparations?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think you should expect the forms to change at least somewhat in December. For example, CIC will have to update the forms to reflect the dependent rule changes.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
I would like to join. I'm hoping to sponsor my mother (no spouse or dependent) in 2015. But I can't say that I fully understand the whole process. Considering the process won't change next year, I have few questions and would appreciate if someone can help me with these.

1) I will send sponsorship application and my mom's PR application with all other forms and supporting documents to CPC-M first. At this stage, my mom doesn't have to provide any supporting docs (such as PCC, Birth Cert etc.) other than her PR application, forms and copy of PP. Am I right?

2) I've lost few of my original NOA's (I will submit tax info for 2011, 2012 & 2013). Can I print the tax returns of all these years (or only the lost ones) from CRA website? These printouts with heading of "#Year Assessment" are more elaborate than regular NOA. Will they suffice?

3) My mom is with me in Canada now on Supervisa. She will probably stay for 2 years till Oct, 2016. In this case, will her PR file be transferred to Singapore (her citizenship is Bangladeshi)? For the rest of the documents from her side; when will they require to submit?

4) If her PR application still is considered "Outside Canada", how long it takes? From what I see from CIC; it takes 41 months (sponsorship @ CPC-M) + 66 months (PR @ SVGO) = 107 months (9 years :eek:) to complete the whole process. Does it really take that long?

I'm sure I will have more questions in future. For now, these will help me gather the docs. Thanks.

sylvia27

Star Member
Dec 9, 2010
Rossei said:
I would like to join. I'm hoping to sponsor my mother (no spouse or dependent) in 2015. But I can't say that I fully understand the whole process. Considering the process won't change next year, I have few questions and would appreciate if someone can help me with these.

1) I will send sponsorship application and my mom's PR application with all other forms and supporting documents to CPC-M first. At this stage, my mom doesn't have to provide any supporting docs (such as PCC, Birth Cert etc.) other than her PR application, forms and copy of PP. Am I right?

2) I've lost few of my original NOA's (I will submit tax info for 2011, 2012 & 2013). Can I print the tax returns of all these years (or only the lost ones) from CRA website? These printouts with heading of "#Year Assessment" are more elaborate than regular NOA. Will they suffice?

3) My mom is with me in Canada now on Supervisa. She will probably stay for 2 years till Oct, 2016. In this case, will her PR file be transferred to Singapore (her citizenship is Bangladeshi)? For the rest of the documents from her side; when will they require to submit?

4) If her PR application still is considered "Outside Canada", how long it takes? From what I see from CIC; it takes 41 months (sponsorship @ CPC-M) + 66 months (PR @ SVGO) = 107 months (9 years :eek:) to complete the whole process. Does it really take that long?

I'm sure I will have more questions in future. For now, these will help me gather the docs. Thanks.
I'll try to answer a few of your questions based on info I know.

Concerning the documents, I think you are right except that you need to send your birth certificate as a proof to show her relationship to you.

For the NOA's, If i remember correctly from reading other posts, you need the original ones, they don't accept printed from the website but I know you can order new ones for the previous years from Revenu Canada and they will send them to you by mail.

As for the local office, I'm not sure how that works, I think they are the ones who choose which office they transfer it to.

For the times on the website, they haven't been updated in a long time but it seems that now they are trying to process applications faster and trying to cut backlog especially that they are only accepting 5000 new applications per year only.

Hope these info help you and good luck.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
sylvia27 said:
I'll try to answer a few of your questions based on info I know.

Concerning the documents, I think you are right except that you need to send your birth certificate as a proof to show her relationship to you.
I'm aware of that.

For the NOA's, If i remember correctly from reading other posts, you need the original ones, they don't accept printed from the website but I know you can order new ones for the previous years from Revenu Canada and they will send them to you by mail.
I tried that before and CRA sent me copy of assessment. Do you know any specific way to do that? Just by calling them?

As for the local office, I'm not sure how that works, I think they are the ones who choose which office they transfer it to.

For the times on the website, they haven't been updated in a long time but it seems that now they are trying to process applications faster and trying to cut backlog especially that they are only accepting 5000 new applications per year only.

Hope these info help you and good luck.
Thanks for your input. Yes, I agree things may change. I couldn't apply this year just because I needed my 2013 NOA which arrived by the time 5000 quote were filled.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
I'm answering to my own query :D

Re: NOA, I've just called CRA helpdesk and they don't re-produce NOA rather prints a summary certified by CRA which is called Option C printout. I didn't know the name before. Apparently, CIC accepts either Option C or NOA (original). Even the lady who attended my phone call knows about it.

So, I ordered them for 3 consecutive years (2011, 2012 & 2013). It takes 5-10 business days. Hope this info helps.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
Could applying for Sponsorship affect parents ability to obtain visa? My Parents came already to Canada 3 times and they had multiple 5 years visa .. I am just worried once I fill in the sponsorship application they will face issues getting visa in the future (until the sponsership is approved which could take upto 8 years)???

Any Idea on this?

sylvia27

Star Member
Dec 9, 2010
sicko86 said:
Could applying for Sponsorship affect parents ability to obtain visa? My Parents came already to Canada 3 times and they had multiple 5 years visa .. I am just worried once I fill in the sponsorship application they will face issues getting visa in the future (until the sponsership is approved which could take upto 8 years)???

Any Idea on this?
Sponsorship application doesn't affect the chances to get a visitor visa. It's called dual intent and as long as your parents can show that they will leave Canada once before their residency expires then it's ok.

Here's a link with more details:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/dual.asp

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
Thank you!

I have another question .. some forms requires my parents signatures .. and I am in Canada and they are back home! can they sign the form using e-signature or some type of computerized signature? how other people dealt with this issue?

sylvia27

Star Member
Dec 9, 2010
sicko86 said:
Thank you!

I have another question .. some forms requires my parents signatures .. and I am in Canada and they are back home! can they sign the form using e-signature or some type of computerized signature? how other people dealt with this issue?
No, e-signatures or scanned signatures are not accepted. What you can do is either have them download the form and fill it out and sign it then mail it back to you or you fill it out for them and then mail it and have them sign it and mail it back. Only real signatures are accepted. I'm fortunate that my parents are visiting at the moment so I can have them sign them directly after I fill them up.

malijam

Nov 25, 2014
I checked the cic website and The NOA's required are from 2011-2013.
I wish to sponsor my parents too but i don't meet income requirement of 2011 only. Rest from 2012-2014 i meet the income requirements.

Is it ok if i submit the NOA's of 2012 and 2013 plus my pay stubs of 2014? Will they accept it?

sylvia27

Star Member
Dec 9, 2010
No they don't accept pay stubs. If you don't meet the requirements for year 2011, you'll have to wait until 2016 and apply then.

nush78l

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
Q1: Documents Checklist Form - Point #7: Do I need to submit an original marriage certificate, to prove my parent's marriage? It does not state "Copy" Whereas it clearly states "Photocopy" for the sponsor's marriage certificate.

Q2: Financial Evaluation Form - Point #8: What amount do we have to put for Minimum Necessary Income? The total for all three years (2011+2012+2013) or just the applicable minimum amount for 2013 only?

Q3: On Form 5669E Schedule A - Point #2: "Your full name written in your native language or script". Do we really have to write the name again in the native script? Say in Hindi or Chinesei?

Q4: Form 5406 Additional Family Information: At the top of the form it states to "Complete ALL names in English and in your native language", again do we have write the name in English and again repeat in Hindi or Chinese? Seems ridiculous!!!

Q6: Do EI benefits paid while on maternity leave count as Special Benefits?

Q7: At what point does CIC stop changing the forms so that we can actually fill the correct ones? I have resorted to getting my parents to sign the signature page and then fill out the rest later as the forms keep changing. Hopefully the signature page doesn't change,

sylvia27

Star Member
Dec 9, 2010
nush78l said:
Q1: Documents Checklist Form - Point #7: Do I need to submit an original marriage certificate, to prove my parent's marriage? It does not state "Copy" Whereas it clearly states "Photocopy" for the sponsor's marriage certificate.

Q2: Financial Evaluation Form - Point #8: What amount do we have to put for Minimum Necessary Income? The total for all three years (2011+2012+2013) or just the applicable minimum amount for 2013 only?

Q3: On Form 5669E Schedule A - Point #2: "Your full name written in your native language or script". Do we really have to write the name again in the native script? Say in Hindi or Chinesei?

Q4: Form 5406 Additional Family Information: At the top of the form it states to "Complete ALL names in English and in your native language", again do we have write the name in English and again repeat in Hindi or Chinese? Seems ridiculous!!!

Q6: Do EI benefits paid while on maternity leave count as Special Benefits?

Q7: At what point does CIC stop changing the forms so that we can actually fill the correct ones? I have resorted to getting my parents to sign the signature page and then fill out the rest later as the forms keep changing. Hopefully the signature page doesn't change,
Q1: For marriage certificate, I got a certified copy then translated it because the original copy is never given, it stays with he authorities in my country, so i believe a certified copy should be enough.

Q2: It's not very clear but my guess is the minimum income for 2013.

Q3: Yes, you have to write the names in native language as well as in English, they probably compare how you write them with the official documents in you language.

Q4: Again, yes you need to write the names in English and original language.

Q6: Yes, Maternity benefits are considered special benefits.

Q7: No one knows when CIC will stop changing forms, last year the did changes last minute on the 30th of December I believe. I'm hopeful that this year they won't since there has been some updates during the year. If you got your parents to sign the signature page only and there has been an update, the date of the update will show at the bottom of each page in the form including the signature page so the old signature page will still have the old date of the previous update. If any change was made, better resign the new one.

Hope these answers helped and good luck.

nush78l

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
sylvia27 said:
Q1: For marriage certificate, I got a certified copy then translated it because the original copy is never given, it stays with he authorities in my country, so i believe a certified copy should be enough.

Q2: It's not very clear but my guess is the minimum income for 2013.

Q3: Yes, you have to write the names in native language as well as in English, they probably compare how you write them with the official documents in you language.

Q4: Again, yes you need to write the names in English and original language.

Q6: Yes, Maternity benefits are considered special benefits.

Q7: No one knows when CIC will stop changing forms, last year the did changes last minute on the 30th of December I believe. I'm hopeful that this year they won't since there has been some updates during the year. If you got your parents to sign the signature page only and there has been an update, the date of the update will show at the bottom of each page in the form including the signature page so the old signature page will still have the old date of the previous update. If any change was made, better resign the new one.

Hope these answers helped and good luck.
Thank you. This is very helpful. Have you already applied or planning to apply in 2015? How are you dealing with the form changes?