+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor spouse while student/low income

akak121212

Nov 7, 2016
Hi everyone,

Can you sponsor a spouse as a student (I'm a PR - Quebec resident with a CSQ) with income lower than the financial threshold Quebec specifies?

I know Quebec has financial standards you need to meet before you can sponsor anyone (http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/family-reunification/requirements-sponsor/specific-requirements/financial-standards/index.html). For a single person wishing to sponsor a spouse it's $40k.

While my last full time salary was above this minimum, I recently started a masters program (full time) and so don't have that salary anymore. Once I graduate I could/would/should get a salary of $50-60k but of course, I can't show that right now... And even if I intern somewhere I'll only earn $15-20k over the 4 months of an internship.

Any advice in this situation? Do they take income/resources as black and white or do they look at the whole picture? Anyone been in this situation? (I checked the forums - didn't find much..)

Thank you!

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
Hi everyone,

Can you sponsor a spouse as a student (I'm a PR - Quebec resident with a CSQ) with income lower than the financial threshold Quebec specifies?

I know Quebec has financial standards you need to meet before you can sponsor anyone (http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/family-reunification/requirements-sponsor/specific-requirements/financial-standards/index.html). For a single person wishing to sponsor a spouse it's $40k.

While my last full time salary was above this minimum, I recently started a masters program (full time) and so don't have that salary anymore. Once I graduate I could/would/should get a salary of $50-60k but of course, I can't show that right now... And even if I intern somewhere I'll only earn $15-20k over the 4 months of an internship.

Any advice in this situation? Do they take income/resources as black and white or do they look at the whole picture? Anyone been in this situation? (I checked the forums - didn't find much..)

Thank you!
How did you get your CSQ throughout PEQ / SWQ? if so, I think you don't need financial threshold nor interview
you could be advice by an Immigrant Lawyer/Consultant

Reactions: akak121212

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

Thank you!
Hi

There is no minimum income to sponsor a spouse. The information you are looking applies to those sponsoring OTHER family members, like parents.

akak121212

Nov 7, 2016
How did you get your CSQ throughout PEQ / SWQ? if so, I think you don't need financial threshold nor interview
you could be advice by an Immigrant Lawyer/Consultant
I got CSQ through PEQ (Quebec graduate, TEFAQ score). Thanks for your reply, I'll look into those further!

akak121212

Nov 7, 2016
Hi

There is no minimum income to sponsor a spouse. The information you are looking applies to those sponsoring OTHER family members, like parents.
I HAD been under the impression that that's the case for provinces other than Quebec. But I guess I was just skimming rather than reading! http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/family-reunification/requirements-sponsor/index.html
General prerequisite no. 5.
  • If you sponsor your father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, a dependent child who has a child or a close relative who is a minor and an orphan, you must prove that you have at your disposal sufficient financial resources for the duration of the undertaking (see financial standards).
Which shows that you are correct. For spouse it just says spouse must be 16+ and that previous undertakings must be finished. Which would be easy.

Thank you so much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
with that path, you can add your spouse, then your spouse will get the PR in max 6 months
No - OP can't 'add' their spouse. OP is already a PR. You don't really understand how immigration works, do you? Maybe not such a great idea to be providing advice.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

linalightning

Mar 28, 2019
Montreal
Category........
FAM
@akak121212 what was the verdict? I'm in a similar situation :)

Low income but I'm a Canadian Citizen. I was reading that for Quebec you must make minimum C$23,855... Can anyone confirm?

Thank you!