+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN - Independent Contractors

ncjducret

Sep 20, 2017
Good morning!

I have a question relating to being a student in Canada (I have a study permit that allows me to work up to 20 hours a week). I lost my study permit as it fell out of my passport and am currently waiting for a replacement in order to be able to get a SIN. However, I took on a job as an independent contractor for a Canadian company at the end of August. As an independent contractor, they did not require my SIN when I signed the contract.
I am wondering if the fact that I was an independent contractor without a SIN number for a month will cause any problems when filing my tax report for this year since I will have a SIN number by the time I fill in my tax report. If so, I would also be capable of contacting my employer in order not to be paid (they hire volunteers for my position too).

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good morning!

I have a question relating to being a student in Canada (I have a study permit that allows me to work up to 20 hours a week). I lost my study permit as it fell out of my passport and am currently waiting for a replacement in order to be able to get a SIN. However, I took on a job as an independent contractor for a Canadian company at the end of August. As an independent contractor, they did not require my SIN when I signed the contract.
I am wondering if the fact that I was an independent contractor without a SIN number for a month will cause any problems when filing my tax report for this year since I will have a SIN number by the time I fill in my tax report. If so, I would also be capable of contacting my employer in order not to be paid (they hire volunteers for my position too).
In this case, because you were a contractor, it was not critical that you have a SIN at the time you worked. What is more important is that you were authorized to work in Canada at the time of the contract. You will still need a SIN to file your tax return.

stuthibalaji

Sep 15, 2020
Hi, I have a similar question. I will be moving to Canada in March, and will be landing there as a Permanent Resident for the first time. I can't apply for my SIN in person, due to quarantine rules (15 days). I however plan to start working as an Independent Contractor soon after landing. Would I need to wait to get a SIN to start work? Also, is it essential to set up an entity to work as an Independent Contractor? Since setting up an entity would require a SIN, I am concerned about that. Thank you in advance.