+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN card expired - renew or apply for new one?

pooky

Star Member
Jan 25, 2011
Hi everyone,
I renewed my work permit but silly me I forgot to renew my SIN card since that card has an expiry date corresponding to my old work permit.
So currently my SIN card has expired for more than 2 months. HR at my company didn't ask me about a new SIN card when I gave her copy of my new work permit so I completely forgot I have to renew my SIN card.
Now since it's already expired I'm not sure if I can renew or I have to apply for a new SIN card.
If I do need to apply for a new SIN #, how will that affect me when I file for tax - just renew my information with Revenue Canada???

Please help....thanks a lot!!!!

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
pooky said:
Hi everyone,
I renewed my work permit but silly me I forgot to renew my SIN card since that card has an expiry date corresponding to my old work permit.
So currently my SIN card has expired for more than 2 months. HR at my company didn't ask me about a new SIN card when I gave her copy of my new work permit so I completely forgot I have to renew my SIN card.
Now since it's already expired I'm not sure if I can renew or I have to apply for a new SIN card.
If I do need to apply for a new SIN #, how will that affect me when I file for tax - just renew my information with Revenue Canada???

What I know is, the SIN card that u have will be ur SIN card forever unless you will be a permanent resident here in Canada they will give you a new one. just renew your SIN. you don't need to apply for a new one. You can renew ur SIN asap at any service canada office, u'll get it by mail after a week, then there will be no problem at all in filing tax since it's the same SIN.

don't worry, my friend forgot to renew his SIN like about a year! so 2 months won't hurt.

sttn

Dec 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
pooky said:
Hi everyone,

Visit Service Canada and get your card renewed! Your number is not going to chage and therefore no effect for your employment! They will only issue a new card till the last day as it shows on your new work permit.
pooky said:
Hi everyone,

nu

farnaws

Star Member
Jan 26, 2015
Hi All,

I have totally forgotten to renew my SIN for about a year,although I had valid work permit. Now I am going to apply for CEC and I am totally afraid. Please let me know about the consequences.

Thanks

Inday07

Dec 18, 2014
farnaws said:
Hi All,

I have totally forgotten to renew my SIN for about a year,although I had valid work permit. Now I am going to apply for CEC and I am totally afraid. Please let me know about the consequences.

Thanks
Inform them right away go to the nearest Service Canada in your area and they will advise you what to do. I am not sure about the consequences though.

farnaws

Star Member
Jan 26, 2015
I have already renewed my SIN to new expiry date. I am kinda worried about its impact on CEC application.

F.p

May 12, 2018
Hello everybody.

I really hope someone can help me out with this.

In 1997, i have received my SIN and landing immigration doxuments which was to expire in 1998.
We did not relocate at that time due to personal problems which occured later.
My question is, Is there a way i renvew my SIN number now,
Or do i have to re apply for my PR and SIN all over again ??
This will help me alot as I am quite confused.

Much obliged.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello everybody.

I really hope someone can help me out with this.

In 1997, i have received my SIN and landing immigration doxuments which was to expire in 1998.
We did not relocate at that time due to personal problems which occured later.
My question is, Is there a way i renvew my SIN number now,
Or do i have to re apply for my PR and SIN all over again ??
This will help me alot as I am quite confused.

Much obliged.
So you have not been in Canada since 1997 ?

Once landed as a PR you need to spend 2 years out of 5 in Canada so after all this time you seem to have failed the residency obligation

If you want to fly to Canada you would need to apply for a PRTD which given you have failed the residency will start the process to revoke your PR status.

If you have the option to cross from the US land border it ls likely you will be reported and that will also start the process to revoke your PR status.

If you are lucky enough to enter Canada without being reported you would need to stay for 2 years without leaving to reset your residency but during this time it is not advisable to have any interaction with immigration.

If your PR status gets revoked or you decide to give up your current status then sure if you qualify under the current rules you could apply again

arturdilanyan

Jun 3, 2019
Hello, I have an issue like this - I was a Permanent Resident of Canada from 2005 to 2009 in 2009 I lost my resident as I didnt accomplish rule of 730 days. And now in 2019 I am back to Canada as my husband sponsored me and I am here as with New Confirmation of Landing as a new PR. But I still have my old SIN number, now I have a question: Do I need to apply for a new SIN number or my SIN number from 2005 is still valid?
I asked CBSA Officer the same question but he told me He didnt now and its better for me to go to Service Canada. And now I dont want to make things to complicated and if my old SIN is ok is there any need for me to go and apply for new one?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello, I have an issue like this - I was a Permanent Resident of Canada from 2005 to 2009 in 2009 I lost my resident as I didnt accomplish rule of 730 days. And now in 2019 I am back to Canada as my husband sponsored me and I am here as with New Confirmation of Landing as a new PR. But I still have my old SIN number, now I have a question: Do I need to apply for a new SIN number or my SIN number from 2005 is still valid?
I asked CBSA Officer the same question but he told me He didnt now and its better for me to go to Service Canada. And now I dont want to make things to complicated and if my old SIN is ok is there any need for me to go and apply for new one?
1. Go to service Canada and reinstated your old SIN as it probably has been suspended for non use.

arturdilanyan

Jun 3, 2019
Hi

1. Go to service Canada and reinstated your old SIN as it probably has been suspended for non use.
I just found an Online tool www.payroll.ca and checked my SIN there and it said that my SIN is valid.

What do You think do I still need to go to Service Canada or I can just use my SIN??? Cause I am a little afraid I will go there and the things will be more complected in future if suddenly they decide to provide me a new SIN number.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I just found an Online tool www.payroll.ca and checked my SIN there and it said that my SIN is valid.

What do You think do I still need to go to Service Canada or I can just use my SIN??? Cause I am a little afraid I will go there and the things will be more complected in future if suddenly they decide to provide me a new SIN number.
1. You only get 1 SIN for life in Canada( Unless it is compromised, or issued when you didn't have PR status)

debbyadios

Feb 14, 2019
My husband is on a work permit and it’s over 6weeks he applied for his first SIN number but he his yet to get it.... is anyone experiencing the same thing?.... I got my SIN the same day... at most 7days.... it’s unusual for more than a month.... that is why I need answers please... what is going on?

debbyadios

Feb 14, 2019
My husband is on a work permit and it’s over 6weeks he applied for his first SIN number but he is yet to get it.... is anyone experiencing the same thing?.... I got my SIN the same day I applied for it and I have friends who got there’s within 5-7day at most ... it’s unusual not to have gotten it for more than a month.... that is why I need answers please... what is going on? What can I do?... every time we call to follow up we are always told to wait for another 2weeks ....