+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN card expired - renew or apply for new one?

Discussion in 'Foreign Workers' started by pooky, Dec 30, 2011.

  1. Hi everyone,
    I renewed my work permit but silly me I forgot to renew my SIN card since that card has an expiry date corresponding to my old work permit.
    So currently my SIN card has expired for more than 2 months. HR at my company didn't ask me about a new SIN card when I gave her copy of my new work permit so I completely forgot I have to renew my SIN card.
    Now since it's already expired I'm not sure if I can renew or I have to apply for a new SIN card.
    If I do need to apply for a new SIN #, how will that affect me when I file for tax - just renew my information with Revenue Canada???

    Please help....thanks a lot!!!!
  2. What I know is, the SIN card that u have will be ur SIN card forever unless you will be a permanent resident here in Canada they will give you a new one. just renew your SIN. you don't need to apply for a new one. You can renew ur SIN asap at any service canada office, u'll get it by mail after a week, then there will be no problem at all in filing tax since it's the same SIN.

    don't worry, my friend forgot to renew his SIN like about a year! so 2 months won't hurt.
  3. Visit Service Canada and get your card renewed! Your number is not going to chage and therefore no effect for your employment! They will only issue a new card till the last day as it shows on your new work permit.
  4. Hi All,

    I have totally forgotten to renew my SIN for about a year,although I had valid work permit. Now I am going to apply for CEC and I am totally afraid. Please let me know about the consequences.

  5. Inform them right away go to the nearest Service Canada in your area and they will advise you what to do. I am not sure about the consequences though.
  6. I have already renewed my SIN to new expiry date. I am kinda worried about its impact on CEC application.

Share This Page