Med's Done....
26/12/2015
Passport Req..
15/04/2016
VISA ISSUED...
19/04/2016
LANDED..........
21/04/2016
Is it legal to do side job in free time (after work, weekends) if I'm employed?
I have PR.
Thanks to all. Any advice welcome.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
pieceofcake said:
Is it legal to do side job in free time (after work, weekends) if I'm employed?
I have PR.
Thanks to all. Any advice welcome.
Yes, why not. However, there should not be any conflict of interest.
For example, if you work for an IT company full time. And then decide to work for a competitor in your free time.
Most of the employment contracts cover these fine points.

Another example, you work at a bank full time, and at a supermarket on weekends. Absolutely fine.

pieceofcake

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/04/2015
Doc's Request.
nope
AOR Received.
22/07/2015
Med's Done....
26/12/2015
Passport Req..
15/04/2016
VISA ISSUED...
19/04/2016
LANDED..........
21/04/2016
alok4best said:
Yes, why not. However, there should not be any conflict of interest.
For example, if you work for an IT company full time. And then decide to work for a competitor in your free time.
Most of the employment contracts cover these fine points.

Another example, you work at a bank full time, and at a supermarket on weekends. Absolutely fine.
Thank you for your answer.
Actualy I intend to do same kind of job as my real job is. I don't have a contract who mention these points.
I'm already pay advertising and don't want to deal with my boss customers. I will find them by my own.
Anyway, at the end of the year I will show my earning as a Other income. But if all this goes good I will open Company.
So, that is just a test and I want to see respond of potential customers. If I quit before I could be in trouble with no job. If you know what I mean.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
pieceofcake said:
Thank you for your answer.
Actualy I intend to do same kind of job as my real job is. I don't have a contract who mention these points.
I'm already pay advertising and don't want to deal with my boss customers. I will find them by my own.
Anyway, at the end of the year I will show my earning as a Other income. But if all this goes good I will open Company.
So, that is just a test and I want to see respond of potential customers. If I quit before I could be in trouble with no job. If you know what I mean.
As I said, from a PR perspective, there is nothing to worry about.
All you have to take care of is conflict of interest.
From what you wrote, I understand you are essentially creating a competition for your employer while being employed there.
So tread these waters carefully. While in non organized sectors, employer cannot do much about it.
But if it is an organized sector, there is always a fair chance of employer going after you.

pieceofcake

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/04/2015
Doc's Request.
nope
AOR Received.
22/07/2015
Med's Done....
26/12/2015
Passport Req..
15/04/2016
VISA ISSUED...
19/04/2016
LANDED..........
21/04/2016
alok4best said:
As I said, from a PR perspective, there is nothing to worry about.
All you have to take care of is conflict of interest.
From what you wrote, I understand you are essentially creating a competition for your employer while being employed there.
So tread these waters carefully. While in non organized sectors, employer cannot do much about it.
But if it is an organized sector, there is always a fair chance of employer going after you.
I was ask my boss (very gently) few months ago what he think about side job in free time (that was before I become PR) and he was really upset. He act like he own me.
I really don't see any problem if I find my own customers and work in my free time. It's very funny that he see in me any kind of competition because I'm not able to compete with his big company and I don't want this.
He mention my dedication and loyality but I'm talking about my free time and not about working time for which he pay me.
Worst case scenario is that he will fire me and I will take this risk.
What I'm worried about is doing side job without being self employed or company owner. I'm not sure is that legal.
I work hard to become PR and don't want to lose it.
Unfortunately, I don't have enough side jobs to start with my own business and trying to manage this transition period working for his company and from time to time for myself. When I will have enough customers I will start my own business for sure.

formalboygirl

Star Member
Jun 8, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-04-2011
YOU are a PR for you everything is possible except voting and for some top level jobs. so no worries.

Reactions: Fredrick_n

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
pieceofcake said:
I was ask my boss (very gently) few months ago what he think about side job in free time (that was before I become PR) and he was really upset. He act like he own me.
I really don't see any problem if I find my own customers and work in my free time. It's very funny that he see in me any kind of competition because I'm not able to compete with his big company and I don't want this.
He mention my dedication and loyality but I'm talking about my free time and not about working time for which he pay me.
Worst case scenario is that he will fire me and I will take this risk.
What I'm worried about is doing side job without being self employed or company owner. I'm not sure is that legal.
I work hard to become PR and don't want to lose it.
Unfortunately, I don't have enough side jobs to start with my own business and trying to manage this transition period working for his company and from time to time for myself. When I will have enough customers I will start my own business for sure.
I don't think you are getting what I am trying to say.
There is no risk to your PR. That is totally different issue.

However, your employer can definitely drag you to court if your side job is of nature which directly competes with the nature of business your company does.

For example, I am in IT. No one will be bothered if I am selling insurance in my free time or working at the mechanic.
However, I can easily get in trouble if I run a parallel IT company while being employed in my current firm.

It does not matter how loyal you are. Running a business which is direct competition to your employer can get you in legal trouble.

pieceofcake

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/04/2015
Doc's Request.
nope
AOR Received.
22/07/2015
Med's Done....
26/12/2015
Passport Req..
15/04/2016
VISA ISSUED...
19/04/2016
LANDED..........
21/04/2016
alok4best said:

However, your employer can definitely drag you to court if your side job is of nature which directly competes with the nature of business your company does.

For example, I am in IT. No one will be bothered if I am selling insurance in my free time or working at the mechanic.
However, I can easily get in trouble if I run a parallel IT company while being employed in my current firm.

It does not matter how loyal you are. Running a business which is direct competition to your employer can get you in legal trouble.
I got it. Thanks for clarification.

Fredrick_n

May 5, 2017

I got another thing to ask, related to this topic, which I think "pieceofcake" tried to ask aswell ;

imagine there is NO conflict of interest between my main job, and my second. that's settled, ok ?
now, i would like to provide some services as my second job, like repairing laptops and phones, balancing checkbooks, even with housecalls or something.
Do I need a license to do these things ? Am i required by law to register somewhere before taking part in these activities ?

any feedback in appreciated

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
I got another thing to ask, related to this topic, which I think "pieceofcake" tried to ask aswell ;

imagine there is NO conflict of interest between my main job, and my second. that's settled, ok ?
now, i would like to provide some services as my second job, like repairing laptops and phones, balancing checkbooks, even with housecalls or something.
Do I need a license to do these things ? Am i required by law to register somewhere before taking part in these activities ?

any feedback in appreciated
Some professions need a trade license. Like plumbers, electricians, etc. Which is reasonable. Repairing laptop or phone is not a regulated trade. You should be good as long as this is not also your primary job. Again, it is fine if say you are primarily a teacher, but repair mobile phones as a side job. But it's not fine if you are a mobile technician for a repair company, and also do this as your side job.

Also to add, even if there are no conflicts of interests, some employers, for example banks, would want you to tell them and get their permission before you take up such side jobs. so you may need to check about those requirements.