22 August, further tests 18 Sep, 11 Oct Meds passed
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
Hello members,

Just a quick question please, I will be landing in Calgary with my wife and baby on August 15th 2017. We will be living in Calgary.
For the PR card, we do not have yet any "definitive" address in Calgary (we only have an Airbnb for 1 month for the time to find a more suitable place to live) but we do have a close Canadian friend living in Montreal who can receive the PR card and courier them back to us once we will have our definitive accomodation.
I have seen on the forum that we can get the PR cards to be sent to another address somewhere else in Canada (in a different province for instance) but is it still OK if it is in Montreal (Quebec Province) ? (because Quebec province has its own Immigration program and I am afraid the immigration officer at POE thinks that we intend to move to Quebec while we only got the PR through the Federal program ...)

Actually, I can prove that we intend to settle down in Calgary because I have letter of offer for an employment in Calgary (but the HQ of my employer is in Toronto).

Therefore, for these PR cards matters, do you think that I can provide the address of my friend in Montreal so that he will send it to us once we get more "stable" in Calgary?

Thank you in advance

What I understand from your post is that you would continue to be in Canada, this is not a short visit where you land and return to your country of origin.
If that is the case then you can update the address anytime after landing. Lot many people do not have address for PR card delivery at time of first landing. In such cases, these folks are provided with a form which they need to fill in later with the address where they would like the PR card to be delivered. This form can be either faxed or filled online.

PonJoub

Star Member
Sep 3, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-12-2016
Med's Done....
12-12-2016
Passport Req..
22-05-2017
What I understand from your post is that you would continue to be in Canada, this is not a short visit where you land and return to your country of origin.
If that is the case then you can update the address anytime after landing. Lot many people do not have address for PR card delivery at time of first landing. In such cases, these folks are provided with a form which they need to fill in later with the address where they would like the PR card to be delivered. This form can be either faxed or filled online.

Thank you rockytg for your quick reply.
Indeed you understand well my post ;). you are right it is not a short landing but a permanent staying in Calgary after our landing.
I know that we can inform CIC afterwards about the address for the PR cards to be sent but actually I have just realized that I forgot to add one important paragraph in my previous post ... ^^'
I forgot to mention that my employer requests me to provide the photocopy of my final PR card ASAP after my landing. Since the average processing time is already about 60 days as per the last CIC update => I was thinking that providing my friend's address in Montreal at Port of Entry upon our arrival in Calgary would "accelerate" the global process for this PR card to receive our PR cards asap after landing i/o waiting for getting our definitive address then wait for the approx. extra 60 days to get our PR cards etc ...

Knowing that it can take few months to get the PR card and that I may have overseas business trip in different countries (travelling then come back to Canada then travelling again then come back in Canada again etc ...) around November-December ...
Do you think that I can give the address of my friend in Montreal upon my landing in Calgary so that I can be sure to receive the PR card around November at the latest ?

I know that there is the PRTD but I understand that we have to apply every time for each country we go and it is valid for 1 single entry ... so I do not think that it would be suitable for my different overseas business trips ...

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Cheers

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
22-Apr-2016, Additional Doc Request 13-July-2016
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
Thank you rockytg for your quick reply.
Indeed you understand well my post ;). you are right it is not a short landing but a permanent staying in Calgary after our landing.
I know that we can inform CIC afterwards about the address for the PR cards to be sent but actually I have just realized that I forgot to add one important paragraph in my previous post ... ^^'
I forgot to mention that my employer requests me to provide the photocopy of my final PR card ASAP after my landing. Since the average processing time is already about 60 days as per the last CIC update => I was thinking that providing my friend's address in Montreal at Port of Entry upon our arrival in Calgary would "accelerate" the global process for this PR card to receive our PR cards asap after landing i/o waiting for getting our definitive address then wait for the approx. extra 60 days to get our PR cards etc ...

Knowing that it can take few months to get the PR card and that I may have overseas business trip in different countries (travelling then come back to Canada then travelling again then come back in Canada again etc ...) around November-December ...
Do you think that I can give the address of my friend in Montreal upon my landing in Calgary so that I can be sure to receive the PR card around November at the latest ?

I know that there is the PRTD but I understand that we have to apply every time for each country we go and it is valid for 1 single entry ... so I do not think that it would be suitable for my different overseas business trips ...

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Cheers
Not sure whether we can give address of friend in Quebec.

I was in a similar situation last month where in i had to give the address for PR card. I have a relative in Ontario but as i was SINP nominated i avoided giving an out of province address. It was perfectly legal as have read about that in this forum but still did not want to take a chance. So, i went ahead with UPS mail box. As i was to return to my home country i found this option to be the most suitable with me not knowing any one there.

The above still does not answer your question but i talked about it to let you know about the UPS mail box option. This alternative would cost you a little but would work for you. You can go with UPS mail box for three months(as i did ) the cost of which would be approx 80 Canadian dollars. You can have this address the next day you land in Calgary. Advantage of this would be you can get hold of the card once it delivered to your UPS mailbox and can do away with your friend courier it to you. This would save the cost of courier(would even out with the money paid earlier for UPS address) and the time taken to courier it.

Regarding PRTD, it can be issued for a longer duration with multiple entry option. Whether you are eligible for it is something that needs to be confirmed.

Below extract is from link 'http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp'

"
What if I am living outside Canada on a long-term basis?

Usually, PRTD counterfoils are issued for a single entry to Canada. However, you can request a long-term multiple entry PRTD if you:

• meet the residency obligation; and
  • are living outside Canada on a long-term basis (for example, if you are a permanent resident accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse).
Include a cover letter that explains your circumstances and requests a multiple entry PRTD.

Multiple entry PRTD’s cannot extend beyond the expiry date of your passport."

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
One more thing, need to confirm on whether one can apply for PRTD within Canada. As far as i understand one need to be out of Canada to apply for PRTD.

PonJoub

Star Member
Sep 3, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-12-2016
Med's Done....
12-12-2016
Passport Req..
22-05-2017
One more thing, need to confirm on whether one can apply for PRTD within Canada. As far as i understand one need to be out of Canada to apply for PRTD.

Hi rockytg,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply and guidance.
Your suggestion with the UPS mail box looks very interesting.
To get more info and details, I will send an email to the nearest UPS store in the area we target to live in order to rent a mail box for 3-4 months (as you did).

For the PRTD, I should normally not travel overseas on business trip before mid of November so normally I should have been receiving our PR cards before (providing I give CIC a mail box address within the few days after my landing ...) ... but at least, with the PRTD there is still a solution possible ...

Thanks again and I wish you all the best ;)

Azharkp

Star Member
Jul 1, 2017
Hi Rocky,
How much time do they normally take to process and deliver PR card ?

Krrai

Mar 20, 2018
Hi @rockytg,
I am a SINP nominee. Your posts are very informative and helpful. Thanks for that. Have you moved to SINP. What is your NOC? I am from India and planning for a soft landing initially. I am planning to apply for PRTD once I am back. Did you have any issues while travelling again with PRTD.
Thanks
Raji

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
Hi @rockytg,
I am a SINP nominee. Your posts are very informative and helpful. Thanks for that. Have you moved to SINP. What is your NOC? I am from India and planning for a soft landing initially. I am planning to apply for PRTD once I am back. Did you have any issues while travelling again with PRTD.
Thanks
Raji
Am still in India, could not move because of personal reasons.
There wont be any issues travelling with PRTD card. Did read about a case where in a person was stopped at the Indian airport, however after talking to seniors he was allowed to travel.
PRTD is like a sticker visa(in 2017 that is how it was, looked similar to tourist visa) so it should not be an issue. The case i talked about was because of the ignorance of the airport immigration official. So, if you are travelling on PRTD just have the links and printouts of the CIC official page which talks about PRTD.

Paraspatel

Mar 18, 2016
Hi
I have SINP PR. I have a ticket booked from India to Toronto. Now due to COVID situation I would like to stay with my brother in Toronto for a month (Soft landing) (and to quarantine in Toronto) if I have tickets booked after a month ( Toronto to SK)along with my renting/stay document.
1)Would be any problem with immigration If I do soft landing for a month in toronto
please clarify specially because of this covid situation