Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
It's really very sad. My husband and I are very open and would have no problem answering if they really needed to know, but again I think each situation is different. I am very sad to hear that boyee. I know you have talked about it before. :mad: I am angry for you!

giggles1985

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo>Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 16, 2010
Doc's Request.
August 25, 2010
AOR Received.
July 22, 2010
File Transfer...
July 28, 2010
Med's Done....
Feb 03, 2010
Passport Req..
Sept 16, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 05, 2010
LANDED..........
Oct 09, 2010
boyee6576 said:
Do you dare to say hey thats not really your business and lose your chance for a visa? or is that what they are hoping for. You to say something in defence of your relationship?
This kind of along the lines of what my husband thinks. He thinks that most people would not take kindly to their relationship being challenged and intimate details being exposed and would stand up to defend their relationship and their privacy. And that this is the response the officers expect to see in a legitimate relationship.

I'm more along the lines of "if they ask, they must need to know for some reason.."

Its tough to say, really. Perhaps the correct response is a good mixture of both.

nncs

Mar 9, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-Jan-2010
AOR Received.
26-Jan-2010
File Transfer...
8-Feb-2010
Interview........
10-Aug-2010
Passport Req..
16-Dec-2010
LANDED..........
12-05-2011
It's definitely not the best type of question. I think the interviewee has the right to be defensive (In fact, I think the interviewer expects them to be, this is not an open question to ask anyone casually in any culture).

From what I've read, if a man is being interviewed, the IO tends to be a woman. The IO is also a woman when a lady is being interviewed. I would assume that men would get very uncomfortable and defensive if another man was asking about their wife and what she wore when they were having sex. Same, a woman would probably feel very uncomfortable if a man was asking her those questions about her sex life with her husband........I wonder if that observation is true?

God I really hope no one here that's been called for an interview will be put in an awkward/uncomfortable situation!

I'm so nervous for his interview, I think I'm more prepared than he is ...I've read over our application so many times :p :p

IrishApplicant

Star Member
Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 20th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 18th 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Interview........
not requested:)
Passport Req..
Feb 5th. 2010
boyee6576 said:
My husband got asked when we had sex, when was the first time, where we were located which city that is and then where in the house was it what you expected. :eek: My husband is Indian and you DONT talk about sex with another woman unless she is your wife. My husband was horrified but answered feeling very humiliated. I think she liked having that ability, being indian herself she had to know how she would have made my husband feel. He was not expecting anything like that but was afraid to not answer or tell her its not her business cause she holds our future in her hands. What do you do? Do you dare to say hey thats not really your business and lose your chance for a visa? or is that what they are hoping for. You to say something in defence of your relationship? Its crazy.
Yup, give ignorant people (theyre the same in all & every country) a teeeny, tiny bit of power and they will abuse it to the fullest possible.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Siouxie said:
There is guidance as to how CIC interviews should be conducted.

You can find it here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op01-eng.pdf section 11

11. Procedure: Conducting interviews

Officers conduct interviews:

• to give counselling;
Yeah, I needed counselling after the interview.

Establish rapport

• Greet the applicant.
• Put the client at ease

Explain the purpose and format of the interview

• Explain the officer's role and authority.
• Explain how the interview will be conducted.
Then fly into a rage and throw the applicant's marriage certificate and wedding photos on the floor.

To get back to the OP's question: my husband and I were asked about sex at our interviews. The visa officer asked my husband about the first time we had sex: she wanted to know when, where, how and who initiated it.
All she asked me was if we have sex and when the first time was.
I think asking very general questions is OK. Questions about how often the couple has sex, and approximately when the first time was, would be fine with me. Anything more detailed than that is an abuse of their powers, in my opinion.

I know a guy who was trying to get a marriage-based visa (for another country, not Canada) who responded rather forcefully to very intrusive questions about his sex life. In this country the visa officer makes an unannounced visit to your home. So the officer was in my friend's house at 9:30 at night, asking about sex. The guy got really angry, and told the visa officer to f*ck off and get the h*ll out of his house. He got his visa.

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
me and my husband are open too. i think i am open more. my hubby most likely would be shocked a bit hearing such questions. anyways gotta deal with this. its our life on a line... lets feel a bit humiliated but later get the life together in this country...
good luck to everyone, stay strong 8)

confusednscared

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2009 CPC-M
Doc's Request.
NONE
Med's Request
2009, 2010
Interview........
14-09-2010
Passport Req..
02-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2011
LANDED..........
14-09-2011
First of all, I think of IOs that ask such personal questions and want to know the full out detail as perverts and horned up animals. It's funny that after being asked such question at an interview the IO never makes an offer for the person being interviewed meet him/her at their hotel. Perhaps it happens and no one knows.

Wait, it did with that IRB judge a few months back who forced the Asian woman into having an affair with him so she can get her PR for Canada.

Secondly, if I do get asked such question/s in my interview I don't think I will have any other option then to answer the question with full confidence. Oh, I will soooo go into detail and tell that IO everything he/she doesn't want to hear.

In a nutshell, I am only uncomfortable answering questions about my sex life to people who don't accept my sexuality, etc. We are a gay couple and I wouldn't doubt that such question will be thrown at me in my interview.

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
joecreosta said:
stop this nonesense. immigration officers NEVER aske this kind of questions with this details.

so everyone typing their stories is all lies and BS.
Oh I don't believe they're lying. I think these things can happen, but it's rare. There are far more standard interviews than non-standard. Many good immigration officers are out there! I think people are just sharing a few bad experiences to get a feel for what's out there. There are bad apples everywhere.

joecreosta

Jan 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nyssa said:
Oh I don't believe they're lying. I think these things can happen, but it's rare. There are far more standard interviews than non-standard. Many good immigration officers are out there! I think people are just sharing a few bad experiences to get a feel for what's out there. There are bad apples everywhere.
im sure if some IO asked this question. then they would had been reported or complained about.

joecreosta

Jan 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nncs said:
It would be really nice if we can keep positive in this thread!

I only started it because I knew a possibility of such questions happen and I'm sure others are curious for it too!!!
i honesly dont know why ur worried about these questions. they wont ask u these. noone has ever been asked this qeustions. if they did. it wasnt to same as people saying it is.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
joecreosta said:
i honesly dont know why ur worried about these questions. they wont ask u these. noone has ever been asked this qeustions. if they did. it wasnt to same as people saying it is.
Having read a lot of canadianwomens posts, I really do feel that if she says she was asked these questions, then she is telling the truth.

Not everyone has to go through this but some do and to post that people are lying about their experiences shows a lack of intelligence to say the least.

Should an IO ask that kind of personal question???...no I believe that is going to far.

Do they ask this kind of question???....yes they do....too many different people have posted their different interview stories for it to not be true.

To answer the OP's question, be prepared. From what others have posted it is quite possible an IO can ask you anything they like.

Watches the negative karma thingy go right up again......

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
"Report to Moderator" whenever you read something you feel is inappropriate on this forum.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
I was reading an appeals case from India today and thought of this thread. It's from http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2009/2009canlii84448/2009canlii84448.html. The judge wrote:

With respect to the witnesses’ claim of co-habitation, the appellant and applicant gave contradictory testimony regarding their intimate relations with each other. The appellant testified the applicant always used condoms when the couple had sexual relations after the marriage and during the appellant’s return visit. The applicant testified that he and the appellant did not use any method of protection to prevent pregnancy while having sexual relations because the couple wanted to have children. I do not see how this could have been the case without the appellant having been aware of it. This results in a failure to credibly establish that the appellant and the applicant have shared an intimate relationship as spouses.
This case was a humdinger, by the way. They had doctored photographs from their wedding with living and dead relatives inserted, and more doctored pictures that made it appear that their relatives did activities with them after the wedding.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
BeShoo said:
I was reading an appeals case from India today and thought of this thread. It's from http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2009/2009canlii84448/2009canlii84448.html. The judge wrote:

This case was a humdinger, by the way. They had doctored photographs from their wedding with living and dead relatives inserted, and more doctored pictures that made it appear that their relatives did activities with them after the wedding.
Wow....well, there is the proof the IO DO ask questions about peoples sex life.

Remember folks.....condoms not only keep you safe...they get you a PR too.....LOL