+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Settling in Canada

edacaret

Star Member
Jan 18, 2016
Hi everyone my name is Estuardo Dacaret and I just received my visa to enter Canada. I applied for the outland spousal sponsorship pr and two weeks ago I received my passport with my visa which expires November 25 of this year meaning I have to arrive in Canada (Calgary specifically) before that date. Me and my family (wife and 3 kids) are leaving Guatemala (where we currently live) the first week of November.
I'm happy about this opportunity and at the same time I'm kind of anxious as so what things I can do from here so I can get a head start once I arrive in Calgary. For example is it a good idea to already start looking for jobs? Is there anything I could do with regard to my kids as far as schools or anything like that? Also a place to live or better do all those things once I get there? Anything else anyone can think of?

Thank you very much

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you prepared for Calgary's cold winter and hot-dry summer?

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
I would not spend too much on clothing before landing. Just enough to keep you warm until you can get to a shop (Walmart probably best to begin with) It is doubtful that you would be able to buy the right (winter) clothing in Guatemala. I also expect the right clothing will cost you less in Canada.

Always a good idea to start looking for a job the second you have your status, whether in country or not, especially if you need one. Though if not in country make sure that you have a clear timeline to discuss with potential employers. Know when you are arriving with certainty.

Many other things to think about depending on your circumstances. How are you moving? Do you have a lot of stuff to move? Where will you be staying once arrived? How will you get from the airport to where-ever. Pets?

Good luck, it is an exciting and fun thing to do. Tough but an adventure and a lot of fun.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
  • Get an International drivers permit before you leave. That will give you 90 days to practice before you have to apply for an Alberta license.
  • Be prepared for long days (although they are getting shorter, sunset is 9:30 PM in Calgary right now and sunrise is 6:00 AM. In November it will belike 8:00AM sunrise, 4:00 PM sunset). Be prepared for it to get much shorter!!!
  • Look for language courses funded by the government when you land (In Edmonton, it's Catholic Social Services that does the testing). If you need to improve they will set you up for testing to determine your level and you can get free ESL up to a certain level.
  • Look for a job.
  • Plan for the kids schooling: http://www.cbe.ab.ca/registration/registration/Pages/default.aspx
  • Learn about hockey.....you'll need it. Pick the Oilers over Flames to cheer for (just common sense)!
  • Don't hide from the snow and the cold. The new immigrants that get out and enjoy the seasons seem to adapt better (IMO). Remember, you can always dress for the cold!

Reactions: next2015