+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seek Advice

rajani47

Dec 2, 2014
Hi,

I landed in toronto in May 2016 along with my family and stayed there for two weeks. After then, we all returned back to UAE. I am working in UAE at the moment but we planned to move permanently to Canada in few months (definitely in 2017). The only ties that i have in Canada at the moment is bank account. I didnt apply for health card or driving licence. I am here confused, if i am required to file income tax return for 2016 on my UAE income or not. I am not a taxation expert and i tried my level best to get my answer on crc website. The only thing that i understand that i have only one secondary ties in Canada and that is my Canadian bank account. So i am not to sure if i have to file tax returns for 2016 or not.

Please advise....

Thanks a lot.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Probably you are non resident. To be safe, get a collect call and speak with an agent of the International Tax of Canada Revenue Agency:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/ntrntnlnqrs-eng.html

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
rajani47 said:
Hi,

I landed in toronto in May 2016 along with my family and stayed there for two weeks. After then, we all returned back to UAE. I am working in UAE at the moment but we planned to move permanently to Canada in few months (definitely in 2017). The only ties that i have in Canada at the moment is bank account. I didnt apply for health card or driving licence. I am here confused, if i am required to file income tax return for 2016 on my UAE income or not. I am not a taxation expert and i tried my level best to get my answer on crc website. The only thing that i understand that i have only one secondary ties in Canada and that is my Canadian bank account. So i am not to sure if i have to file tax returns for 2016 or not.

Please advise....

Thanks a lot.
No, you are not obligated to file or pay any taxes until you move to Canada to live.

NMALIK

Feb 22, 2017
Hi
I have completed my first landing in Canada in Mar 2015 got PR card and after staying one month I came back to UAE. Now after staying 2 years outside Canada I am going to shift in Canada permanently. Now I have a question about cash which I will bring with myself . The money will be taxable or not . At the time of first landing I had not declared that amount which was in my bank account in UAE

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
NMALIK said:
Hi
I have completed my first landing in Canada in Mar 2015 got PR card and after staying one month I came back to UAE. Now after staying 2 years outside Canada I am going to shift in Canada permanently. Now I have a question about cash which I will bring with myself . The money will be taxable or not . At the time of first landing I had not declared that amount which was in my bank account in UAE
No, you can transfer as much money as you want and it will not be taxed.