+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Security Clearance After Passing the Citizenship Test

dreamerchant

Mar 23, 2015
Hello everyone!

I took the Citizenship test yesterday and passed it. The interview went well too. But at the end the Officer said that, there will a Security Clearance process for me which may take 6-8 weeks and then I'll be called for oath. Did anyone else had similar experience? What is the usual time for Security Clearance in Edmonton?

Thanks!

Canadiangoose

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Sorry for asking...

Are you from any of the middle eastern countries?? Do you have non-english stamps on your passport?

VraiVie

Star Member
Jun 6, 2015
dreamerchant said:
Hello everyone!

I took the Citizenship test yesterday and passed it. The interview went well too. But at the end the Officer said that, there will a Security Clearance process for me which may take 6-8 weeks and then I'll be called for oath. Did anyone else had similar experience? What is the usual time for Security Clearance in Edmonton?

Thanks!
It is important to understand some applicants that belong to high risk countries are thoroughly checked. That includes but is not limited to extra security checks and clearances. In addition to that if you did stay in high risk countries for a longer period of time. That will trigger the checks for sure.People that belong to a certain religion and/or ethnicity will be further checked.

It is good news that now agents are telling you about the delay and not keeping you in the dark.Hopefully it does not take longer than 8 weeks in your case.To be fair as long as your application is within the 12 month processing time. There is nothing to worry.

Good luck.

Sukumaugali

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
My wife had to get her fingerprints taken after passing our Citizenship test and interview. We got the letter 3 days after our test (it was actually mailed out right after we took our test as eCAS mentioned that they sent us the correspondence for more information on the same date we took our test). We are currently waiting after submitting her fingerprints. No updates on eCAS and no updates from call center agents. I guess it's just a wait and see scenario... Good luck!

Waiting21

Oct 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dreamerchant said:
Hello everyone!

Thanks!
Did u have time spent outside Canada in last four years. Previously, test invite used to be after criminal and security clearances.

ottawa-pr

Sep 20, 2016
dreamerchant said:
Same here, passed the test in February, the officer said they are only waiting on security clearance and that I should expect the oath letter in 4 to 6 weeks. It has been more than 10 weeks now and I am still "In Process".

I have no idea what the timeline for security clearance is, the response I have gotten (through my MP's office) is basically "the average processing time is listed as 12 months so you can't be really complaining until then."

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
ottawa-pr said:
Same here, passed the test in February, the officer said they are only waiting on security clearance and that I should expect the oath letter in 4 to 6 weeks. It has been more than 10 weeks now and I am still "In Process".

I have no idea what the timeline for security clearance is, the response I have gotten (through my MP's office) is basically "the average processing time is listed as 12 months so you can't be really complaining until then."
Passed the test 9-Sep-2016 , still waiting on security clearance.

Application reach to IRCC 22-June-2016 so total 10 months time passed.

imran01

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
what do you think guys.. my ecas shows Decision Made.. every thing is done ?.. only wait to get Oath Letter

as aa

Feb 21, 2017
Hi, everyone , I have a question, what is the difference between security clearance and police certificate, anyone have a response plz

ottawa-pr

Sep 20, 2016
as aa said:
Hi, everyone , I have a question, what is the difference between security clearance and police certificate, anyone have a response plz
Police certificate and finger prints etc. are required for criminal clearance (or background check), security is a different thing.

Meldaour

Jul 7, 2017
Calgary
Now it has been six weeks for me past the test date and I am still waiting the oath letter... cic says my security check is not cleared yet...super frustrating

layla_

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
It is important to understand some applicants that belong to high risk countries are thoroughly checked. That includes but is not limited to extra security checks and clearances. In addition to that if you did stay in high risk countries for a longer period of time. That will trigger the checks for sure.People that belong to a certain religion and/or ethnicity will be further checked.

It is good news that now agents are telling you about the delay and not keeping you in the dark.Hopefully it does not take longer than 8 weeks in your case.To be fair as long as your application is within the 12 month processing time. There is nothing to worry.

Good luck.
Sat my exam yesterday and passed.
Interview and Documents check took less than 5 minutes. And all is in order.
The only thing still outstanding is my Security Check.
The agent said it was all good and it's because I "only" applied in February as to the reason the security check had not yet been completed. I was told that I'd receive my letter/oath invite in 1-3mths. (Calgary Office... so things move s..l..o..w..l..y......)

My case is extremely straight forward.
I am Australian. And have been in Canada for over 20 years. Minimal minimal travel outside of Canada in the past 5 yrs. So nothing "stereo-typically" high risk about me.

I think that it's pretty much just a crap shoot and having to rely on government offices to process things in a timely manner. It could be the Canadian side of things holding things up. It could be Australia. It could be some guy in the Calgary office taking too many coffee breaks making all the pieces of my file not line up on the correct timeline.... Who knows.!