+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

School Admissions -- Read all about it here >>>

Yehia82

Star Member
May 28, 2011
dear Qorax :
I just read your informative posts and I am really thankful like all others for sharing such information especially that it is so impotant for any one who is planning to settel with his children in Canada
But I have a small question hope to find an answer about it ...... If I will be lucky and obtaine the immigration visa to canada I will be then travelling with my wife and 7 yrs old wonderful daughter while both of them are so poor in English
The question is how my daughter will attend school while she speak Ukranian Language and her English is limited to few words and phrases ??????

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
indira_prab said:
Thanks Qorax for everything you do here :)

My son is born on 11/2005 and so he will not be 6 before November 2011. I understand that school year starts in September and we are planning to land in August. In this situation, I guess he will not be admitted into grade 1 : this September. So, would you suggest to wait until his birthday(Although we will land in August) and then enroll him into school(Grade 1)?

Thanks,

Indira Prabhakaran.
As u r anyway moving log-stock-n-barrel, visit the neighborhood school - they may have a take on this 2 months gestation pd.
Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Yehia82 said:
dear Qorax :
I just read your informative posts and I am really thankful like all others for sharing such information especially that it is so impotant for any one who is planning to settel with his children in Canada
But I have a small question hope to find an answer about it ...... If I will be lucky and obtaine the immigration visa to canada I will be then travelling with my wife and 7 yrs old wonderful daughter while both of them are so poor in English
The question is how my daughter will attend school while she speak Ukranian Language and her English is limited to few words and phrases ??????
Relax, here we have a way with that -- which is why Canada is so unique & wonderful. Kids of any origin, any level, any issues, yet get to sit in the same classroom as everyone else. And in no time u'd find she has taken-off... handling English way better than us.

No issues there.

Qorax

PS.: Uh, on the spouse's language skills -- most neighborhoods, if not all, has 'LINC' classes running in the local community centre. Usually a 6 month's course - she'd be fine too in that time.

Reactions: nugowest

Yehia82

Star Member
May 28, 2011
No words to thank you .... You are just great my friend ..... Hope you a wonderful life in Canada

qorax said:
Relax, here we have a way with that -- which is why Canada is so unique & wonderful. Kids of any origin, any level, any issues, yet get to sit in the same classroom as everyone else. And in no time u'd find she has taken-off... handling English way better than us.

No issues there.

Qorax

PS.: Uh, on the spouse's language skills -- most neighborhoods, if not all, has 'LINC' classes running in the local community centre. Usually a 6 month's course - she'd be fine too in that time.

indira_prab

Champion Member
Apr 16, 2010
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2151 - Architects
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16th Oct 2010 BD Encashed...: 25th Oct 2010 PER Received..: 10th Feb 2011
File Transfer...
3rd March 2011 AOR Received.: 11th March 2011
Med's Request
31st March 2011 PCC Request..: 31st March 2011 RPRF Request: 31st March 2011
Passport Req..
31st March 2011 Med's Done....: 6th April 2011 Passports sent: 7th May 2011 RPRF/PCC sent: 7th May 2011 RPRF En-Cashed :17th May 2011
VISA ISSUED...
27th May 2011
LANDED..........
10th Sep 2011
qorax said:
As u r anyway moving log-stock-n-barrel, visit the neighborhood school - they may have a take on this 2 months gestation pd.
Qorax
Thanks Qorax :) We will approach the school as soon as we land :)

Indira Prabhakaran.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Daycare Costs - UPDATE

As stated before - Monthly Daycare charges could be overwhelming in Canada. Depending on where you live, daycare costs can vary from $200 per month to more than $800 per month.
- Monthly daycare in the Chatham, Ontario, area averages $826 while similar daycare in Winnipeg, Manitoba, is only $395.
- Cheapest surveyed city for Daycare is Montreal with an avg cost of $205, based on the $7-a-day child care law in Quebec.

Average monthly cost in some Canadian Cities:
$205.00 -- Montreal
$395.00 -- Winnipeg
$415.00 -- Regina
$420.00 -- Fredericton
$430.00 -- St. John
$605.00 -- Yellowknife
$640.00 -- London
$650.00 -- Kitchener
$800.00 -- Toronto
$800.00 -- Ottawa

NOTE:
1. Fees are based on full-time daycare (5 days/week, 8 hrs/day) for a 4-year-old child in a 'for-profit' daycare center.
2. These fees are for the lowest possible Daycare Centre [which might not be in the vicinity of all neighborhoods].
3. A standard 20-25% may be chargeable additionally in most centres.
4. Source: Statistic Canada Child Care Information.

Qorax

phdmaker

Jan 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Daycare Costs - UPDATE

As stated before - Monthly Daycare charges could be overwhelming in Canada. Depending on where you live, daycare costs can vary from $200 per month to more than $800 per month.
- Monthly daycare in the Chatham, Ontario, area averages $826 while similar daycare in Winnipeg, Manitoba, is only $395.
- Cheapest surveyed city for Daycare is Montreal with an avg cost of $205, based on the $7-a-day child care law in Quebec.

Average monthly cost in some Canadian Cities:
$205.00 -- Montreal
$395.00 -- Winnipeg
$415.00 -- Regina
$420.00 -- Fredericton
$430.00 -- St. John
$605.00 -- Yellowknife
$640.00 -- London
$650.00 -- Kitchener
$800.00 -- Toronto
$800.00 -- Ottawa

NOTE:
1. Fees are based on full-time daycare (5 days/week, 8 hrs/day) for a 4-year-old child in a 'for-profit' daycare center.
2. These fees are for the lowest possible Daycare Centre [which might not be in the vicinity of all neighborhoods].
3. A standard 20-25% may be chargeable additionally in most centres.
4. Source: Statistic Canada Child Care Information.

Qorax
Good one & helpful as always. But it is one side of the picture. I mean if one ( immigrant) want to be a day carer? What courses and other thing are usually required. ($800/month for a single child in Toronto is really attractive, isn't it :))

Thanks.

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Planning in Autumn of 2010
Hi Captain ,

Thanks for sharing with us this info.This would benefit most of the people who land in Canada.I bet you, most of the info which you post here in this forum, are path breaking for new immigrants and it helps them to arrive at an informed decision.Kudos to your patience and devotion.
I myself have been involved with the admission of my kid, of late and what you have posted on the Public schools is what i have truly experienced.

Regards

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
phdmaker said:
Good one & helpful as always. But it is one side of the picture. I mean if one ( immigrant) want to be a day carer? What courses and other thing are usually required. ($800/month for a single child in Toronto is really attractive, isn't it :))

Thanks.
Uh, these Daycare Centres r orgs with complete infrastructure, staff, SOPs - like a pre-school. These r not individuals. And have a business model/plan, operating costs, fin-packs etc.

But,

Q. Can I do it, as a newcomer?
A. Off course, why not? Register a company, get licensed, rent a location [specific to ministry's guidelines], hire employees, set-up costs... go ahead!

Q. Can I not just sit@home & run it?
A. No, it'd be illegal. But, many do [mostly retired couples], but they manage only the kids of the same bidg. [usually in apartment complexes].

Q. How much they charge/I'll make then?
A. $3-5/hr. only [!]

Q. Any risks involved?
A. Off course... since u r unlicensed - any mishap [God Forbid] & u'd be arrested.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
penpal said:
Hi Captain ,

Thanks for sharing with us this info.This would benefit most of the people who land in Canada.I bet you, most of the info which you post here in this forum, are path breaking for new immigrants and it helps them to arrive at an informed decision.Kudos to your patience and devotion.
I myself have been involved with the admission of my kid, of late and what you have posted on the Public schools is what i have truly experienced.

Regards
Thanx PalPen!

phdmaker

Jan 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Uh, these Daycare Centres r orgs with complete infrastructure, staff, SOPs - like a pre-school. These r not individuals. And have a business model/plan, operating costs, fin-packs etc.

But,

Q. Can I do it, as a newcomer?
A. Off course, why not? Register a company, get licensed, rent a location [specific to ministry's guidelines], hire employees, set-up costs... go ahead!

Q. Can I not just sit @ home & run it?
A. No, it'd be illegal. But, many do [mostly retired couples], but they manage only the kids of the same bidg. [usually in apartment complexes].

Q. How much they charge/I'll make then?
A. $3-5/hr. only [!]

Q. Any risks involved?
A. Off course... since u r unlicensed - any mishap [God Forbid] & u'd be arrested.

Qorax
Thanks brother for the reply.

Take care. :)

goodwill

Star Member
Jun 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
islamabad/london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2008
Doc's Request.
4-6-2009
AOR Received.
19-06-2008
IELTS Request
already given
File Transfer...
30-06-2010
Med's Request
17-10-2010
Med's Done....
15-11-2010
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
15-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-6-2011,d/m 28-06-2011,got passports back 6-07-2011
LANDED..........
inshalla in mid september 2011
Hi Qorax
Do u have an idea about French immersion schools.The school I'm checking in the neighbourhood we'r planning to reside, have majority of kids attending french immersion system (311/570).
What's ur opinion about registering kids in the french immersion schools.
Thanks.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
goodwill said:
Hi Qorax
Do u have an idea about French immersion schools.The school I'm checking in the neighbourhood we'r planning to reside, have majority of kids attending french immersion system (311/570).
What's ur opinion about registering kids in the french immersion schools.
Thanks.
Learning French in Toronto Schools

Teaching Canada's other official language to its students is an important challenge for the TDSB [Toronto District School Board]. The Board has several programs for teaching "French As a Second Language".

Learning French enhances a student's overall learning skills, expands career opportunities and promotes understanding among cultures. The TDSB offers a variety of "French As a Second Language" Programs in both the elementary and secondary schools.

Core French is offered to all students for 40 minutes a day from Grades 4-8 and continues into secondary school from Grades 9-12.

There are two types of intensive French programs: French Immersion and Extended French. Both programs are designed to give students the opportunity to learn French, not simply as a language program but also through other subjects taught in French.

The TDSB has a parent organization who supports French As a Second Language programs. For more information about the French As a Second Language Advisory Committee (FLSAC) log onto www.tdsb.on.ca/fslac.

Note:
French-immersion programs are offered in 9 Canadian provinces, except the province of New Brunswick, which has eliminated in the early grades in favor of universal French education in grade 5.[citation needed] French popularity differs by province and region. Currently, enrollment in French immersion is highest in New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island, and lowest in Saskatchewan. Western Canada, which is predominantly Anglophone, is experiencing high population growth, but this has not caused a substantial increase in the number or proportion of French immersion students.

Further read:
http://www.tdsb.on.ca/programs/french/default.asp

Qorax

yokototo

Star Member
Feb 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-02-2010
Doc's Request.
04-02-2010
Med's Done....
03-2010 and redone 06-2011
Passport Req..
15-09-2011
Excellent post! Very much appreciated...