Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
yeydme said:
Dear Qorax, very good information as usual!!!
YOu're information are indeed very helpful for everyone.
I have a question though :)
If we arive in Canada let's say Sep 1st. Do we still have time to enrol our kid by that time or it is too late.

Thank you!
It's never 'late' - admission to our kids stand 'assured' anytime of the yr.
Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
goodwill said:
Dear Qorax
Thanks a lot for the information.
Please can u tell about the sports activities in the elementry schools.
Are they also free or we have to pay for it?
regards.
Any thing & everything is FREE.

There could be certain extra-curricular activities [viz. Field-Trips, Movie Outings etc.] which might be charged [around $5-10 max], but it's voluntary.

Qorax

phdmaker

Jan 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once again an outperformance !

Great work Captain ! :)

waterloo09

Star Member
May 17, 2011
HI,

We have read that during lunch time children have to return to home.Would you please explain how do families with both parents working manage about this.
Also,please let us know about school time/lunch break general idea(is it 9:00 to 3:00pm?)Can we (as employer) get lunch break or do we need to pay school for lunch time care facility?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
waterloo09 said:
HI,

We have read that during lunch time children have to return to home.Would you please explain how do families with both parents working manage about this.
Also,please let us know about school time/lunch break general idea(is it 9:00 to 3:00pm?)Can we (as employer) get lunch break or do we need to pay school for lunch time care facility?
Lunch break

It's not mandatory for the kids to go home for lunch. And if they do at all - it's for the families who can manage that & live nearby too. Every school has "lunchroom caretakers" [mostly contracted & undertaken by housewives residing nearby]... My kid/s do not return home for that.

Here's an extract from our kid's school website:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lunch
Children staying for lunch are expected to eat in the lunchroom and remain on school property. Students are provided 20-25 minutes to eat lunch. In bad weather, students remaining at school will stay inside during the entire lunch break. Please label all lunch boxes/bags and containers with your child's name.

The lunchroom is supervised by three lunchroom caretakers who help maintain a safe and orderly atmosphere.

A lunchroom permission form will be sent home early in the school year and should be signed and forwarded back to the school as soon as possible. It is important that lunchroom information be kept on file so that the school is aware of where each student generally is expected to be during lunch on an ongoing basis.

Milk Sales
Milk is available to students staying for lunch. Students are encouraged to purchase 10 milk tickets at a time at a cost of $6.00 (or $0.70@each). The use of tickets reduces the “lost quarter syndrome” and frees up lunchroom attendants to provide closer supervision during the lunch hour.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bell Schedule
Here's the Period-wise timings for our kid's school. Usually all schools r under similar pattern, with slight changes here-n-there:

Period ......... Start Time ..... End Time ........ Minutes
0 ................ 9:10am ......... 9:50am .......... 40
1 ................ 9:55am ......... 10:35am ......... 40
Break ...... 10:35am ........ 10:45am ......... 10
2 ............... 10:45am ........ 11:25am ......... 40
3 ............... 11:30am ........ 12:10pm ......... 40
Lunch ...... 12:10pm ........ 1:00pm .......... 40
4 ............... 1:00pm .......... 1:40pm .......... 40
5 ............... 1:45pm .......... 2:25pm .......... 40
Break ...... 2:25pm .......... 2:35pm .......... 10
6 ............... 2:35pm .......... 3:05pm .......... 40

Qorax

Reactions: gir_8

waterloo09

Star Member
May 17, 2011
Thank you Sir.

You are truly AMAZING!!!
I got all the exact answers...
Hats off you Sir!

Regards,
Waterloo09

aaycee

Dec 27, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2010
Doc's Request.
Document Submitted: 17-03-11
AOR Received.
2nd AOR: 18-2-2011
IELTS Request
Med's Request
25-02-11
Med's Done....
9-03-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-02-11
VISA ISSUED...
22-7-11
LANDED..........
4th October 2011 Winnipeg :)
qorax said:
Lunch break

It's not mandatory for the kids to go home for lunch. And if they do at all - it's for the families who can manage that & live nearby too. Every school has "lunchroom caretakers" [mostly contracted & undertaken by housewives residing nearby]... My kid/s do not return home for that.

Here's an extract from our kid's school website:
Lunch
Children staying for lunch are expected to eat in the lunchroom and remain on school property. Students are provided 20-25 minutes to eat lunch. In bad weather, students remaining at school will stay inside during the entire lunch break. Please label all lunch boxes/bags and containers with your child's name.

The lunchroom is supervised by three lunchroom caretakers who help maintain a safe and orderly atmosphere.

A lunchroom permission form will be sent home early in the school year and should be signed and forwarded back to the school as soon as possible. It is important that lunchroom information be kept on file so that the school is aware of where each student generally is expected to be during lunch on an ongoing basis.

Milk Sales
Milk is available to students staying for lunch. Students are encouraged to purchase 10 milk tickets at a time at a cost of $6.00 (or $0.70 @ ). The use of tickets reduces the “lost quarter syndrome” and frees up lunchroom attendants to provide closer supervision during the lunch hour.

Bell Schedule
Here's the Period-wise timings for our kid's school. Usually all schools r under similar pattern, with slight changes here-n-there:

Period ......... Start Time ..... End Time ........ Minutes
0 ................ 9:10am ......... 9:50am .......... 40
1 ................ 9:55am ......... 10:35am ......... 40
Break ...... 10:35am ........ 10:45am ......... 10
2 ............... 10:45am ........ 11:25am ......... 40
3 ............... 11:30am ........ 12:10pm ......... 40
Lunch ...... 12:10pm ........ 1:00pm .......... 40
4 ............... 1:00pm .......... 1:40pm .......... 40
5 ............... 1:45pm .......... 2:25pm .......... 40
Break ...... 2:25pm .......... 2:35pm .......... 10
6 ............... 2:35pm .......... 3:05pm .......... 40

Qorax

Oh my God Oh my God... U are simply Gr88888888 Qorax sir!!!!!!!!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
waterloo09 said:
Thank you Sir.

You are truly AMAZING!!!
I got all the exact answers...
Hats off you Sir!

Regards,
Waterloo09
Yeah, those "questions" came from the repeat PMs to me!!!
Thanx for the accolades, buddies...

chintu

Sep 6, 2009
Kuwait
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-Jul-2007
Doc's Request.
01-May-2009
AOR Received.
01-Jul-2007
Med's Request
01-Aug-2010
Med's Done....
01-Sep-2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 2011
LANDED..........
Aug 2011
Dear Qorax,

Hats off to you. I have been researching this topic last few weeks. You have compiled most important details very well. Thanks a lot for your efforts.

I had a question and would appreciate your reply.

I read "How do I enrol my child in school?" at http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?k=ELEMSEC_ENROL&faq_id=4001194 which does not mention the need of SCHOOL TRANSFER CERTIFICATE.

Quote :
  • Proof of address – A copy of a bank statement, telephone or electrical bill or apartment lease with your name and address.
  • Proof of guardianship – Required if your child is under 18 years of age and is not living with a parent.
  • Proof of student's immigration status* – One of:
    a) Birth certificate
    b) Passport
    c) Permanent Resident Card
    d) Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292) or Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
  • Immunization record – Proof that your son or daughter has been immunized.

The said website does not mention School TC as a need to get school admission in Toronto.

My son has completed Grade 2 in an Indian school in the Middle East - Kuwait here and I plan to put my kid in Grade 3 in Toronto for the year starting Sep 2011.

Can u please let me know, if it is mandatory for me to have a SCHOOL TRANSFER CERTIFICATE from the Indian school here in Kuwait inorder to get admissions in Public school in Toronto.

Appreciate feedback and thanks.

Chintu

qorax said:
What documentation is required for School Admission?
1. Child Immunization Record > http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t61790.0.html
2. School Transfer Certificate
3. Birth Certificate
4. Residential Lease Contract [or Home Purchase Deed]

Welcome to a scholastic sojourn !
Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
chintu said:
Dear Qorax,

Hats off to you. I have been researching this topic last few weeks. You have compiled most important details very well. Thanks a lot for your efforts.

I had a question and would appreciate your reply.

I read "How do I enrol my child in school?" at http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?k=ELEMSEC_ENROL&faq_id=4001194 which does not mention the need of SCHOOL TRANSFER CERTIFICATE.

Quote :
  • Proof of address – A copy of a bank statement, telephone or electrical bill or apartment lease with your name and address.
  • Proof of guardianship – Required if your child is under 18 years of age and is not living with a parent.
  • Proof of student's immigration status* – One of:
    a) Birth certificate
    b) Passport
    c) Permanent Resident Card
    d) Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292) or Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
  • Immunization record – Proof that your son or daughter has been immunized.

The said website does not mention School TC as a need to get school admission in Toronto.

My son has completed Grade 2 in an Indian school in the Middle East - Kuwait here and I plan to put my kid in Grade 3 in Toronto for the year starting Sep 2011.

Can u please let me know, if it is mandatory for me to have a SCHOOL TRANSFER CERTIFICATE from the Indian school here in Kuwait inorder to get admissions in Public school in Toronto.

Appreciate feedback and thanks.

Chintu
settlement.org might had an oversight... Yes, the TC is very must needed - it provides the 'new' school a 'past record/history' of our kid's schooling.

Your kid might not be able to join@grade-3 here... it'd depend on his age. Most kids would take a step-back when coming from the ME... mine did -- we came from Dubai.

Qorax

Reactions: nugowest

chintu

Sep 6, 2009
Kuwait
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-Jul-2007
Doc's Request.
01-May-2009
AOR Received.
01-Jul-2007
Med's Request
01-Aug-2010
Med's Done....
01-Sep-2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 2011
LANDED..........
Aug 2011
Thanks Qoraxji.

Chintu

qorax said:
settlement.org might had an oversight... Yes, the TC is very must needed - it provides the 'new' school a 'past record/history' of our kid's schooling.

Your kid might not be able to join @ grade-3 here... it'd depend on his age. Most kids would take a step-back when coming from the ME... mine did -- we came from Dubai.

Qorax

Deeaar

Oct 27, 2010
ABU DHABI , UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
Case Processing Pilot - Ottawa
NOC Code......
(1241-B) Oct 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG 2007
Doc's Request.
AUG 2007
AOR Received.
OCT 2007
IELTS Request
FEB 2008 ( Total Band 8 )
File Transfer...
MARCH 2010
Med's Request
15/10/2010
Med's Done....
26/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
04/03/2011. Sent on 08/03/2011
VISA ISSUED...
30/03/2011
LANDED..........
25 July 2011
Thanks a lot Captain for the answers...Commendable job !!!
The discussion and common questions from other members have solved lot of my doubts about schooling n their requirements. I am quite relieved now.

See u in August :)

yeydme

Star Member
Oct 7, 2010
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2009
AOR Received.
23-02-2010
Med's Request
23-08-2010
Med's Done....
30-09-2010
Passport Req..
18-05-2011
Thanks Qorax, will they accept our daughter even if we just landed by that time? Thanks again

qorax said:
It's never 'late' - admission to our kids stand 'assured' anytime of the yr.
Qorax

indira_prab

Champion Member
Apr 16, 2010
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2151 - Architects
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16th Oct 2010 BD Encashed...: 25th Oct 2010 PER Received..: 10th Feb 2011
File Transfer...
3rd March 2011 AOR Received.: 11th March 2011
Med's Request
31st March 2011 PCC Request..: 31st March 2011 RPRF Request: 31st March 2011
Passport Req..
31st March 2011 Med's Done....: 6th April 2011 Passports sent: 7th May 2011 RPRF/PCC sent: 7th May 2011 RPRF En-Cashed :17th May 2011
VISA ISSUED...
27th May 2011
LANDED..........
10th Sep 2011
qorax said:
Sir/s,

That is exactly why I have chosen to write this post -- it doesn't matter which grade or how many yrs. my kids study in my homeland/elsewhere -- in Canada they'd be taken-in as per their age on date of admission... and those "age date margins" I've mentioned against each grade in "brackets". See the examples below...

EXAMPLES:

On the date when I'm seeking admission into a school here...
a) If my child is 10yrs-08months -- he'd go to Grade-5 [a class for ages 10-11].
b) If s/he is 7yrs-03months -- goes to Grade-2 [a class for ages 7-8].
c) If the child is 15yrs-11months -- s/he will join Grade-10 [a class for ages 15-16].

Hope u get the point.
Qorax

Ps.: In many cases our kids will be "losing" 1yr. Mine did [both kids], but what the heck? Education system is much better here.
Thanks Qorax for everything you do here :)

My son is born on 11/2005 and so he will not be 6 before November 2011. I understand that school year starts in September and we are planning to land in August. In this situation, I guess he will not be admitted into grade 1 : this September. So, would you suggest to wait until his birthday(Although we will land in August) and then enroll him into school(Grade 1)?

Thanks,

Indira Prabhakaran.