+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

School Admissions -- Read all about it here >>>

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
does it mean that the age is considered as of dec 31 of that academic session (Aug - June)?
School starts in September and ends in June. Your kid can enrol summer school for July. No school in August.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anyone has any information about gifted school concept. My friend settled in Canada last year and now his children are going to Gifted school....does it mean that they are going to private school. Would appreciate if anyone helps?
Not necessary. Some public have gifted programs as well.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,
I am aiming to move to Ontario and I was reading about how immunisation records are mandatory requirement for getting your child admission in canadian schools. Now my eldest kid (9 year old) is immunised till 3 years of age but I lost the record document of immunisation. Now is this document necessary for admission and if yes then what will be required document in lieu of immunisation records.
Contact your school. They should have a website. If not, contact the school board.

IamLaragbemi

Jan 9, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
22-03-2017
I have the same question.

-------------------
http://settlement.org/downloads/SWIS/Elementary.pdf

According to The Newcomer's Guide for Elementary Education in Ontario above (page 19), the grade placement is as follows:

Typical Grade Placement
Grade placement is usually determined by a child’s age, and not by the grade they completed in their country of origin. Grade placement may be different with newcomer students to ensure greater academic success.

Below is the typical age and grade placement, from January 1 of that school year:

• JK and SK: 4- and 5-year olds
  • Grade 1: 6-year-old children (with students turning 7 years old from January 1 of that school year)
  • Grade 2: 7-year-old children (with students turning 8 years old from January 1 of that school year)
  • Grade 3: 8-year-old children (with students turning 9 years old from January 1 of that school year)
  • Grade 4: 9-year-old children (with students turning 10 years old from January 1 of that school year)
  • Grade 5: 10-year-old children (with students turning 11 years old from January 1 of that school year)
  • Grade 6: 11-year-old children (with students turning 12 years old from January 1 of that school year)
-------------------

@qorax's post above, children will be taken in as per their age on date of admission.

Let's say my child's birthday is 10-Oct-2010 (she turns 7 this year), which grade can she enter if she is admitted:
1) before her birthday (at 6 yrs old)
2) after her birthday (at 7 yrs old)
Fantastic Group i must say. Does this mean that If my children are going to be 7 and 9 on January 4 and 7 respectively, they would be placed i Grade 2 and Grade 4? Thanks in anticipation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Fantastic Group i must say. Does this mean that If my children are going to be 7 and 9 on January 4 and 7 respectively, they would be placed i Grade 2 and Grade 4? Thanks in anticipation.
Y
Actually I think it Grade 1 and 3 because they would be 6 and 8 at the beginning of the school year. The school will guide you when you register.

Reactions: iamxty

saathi2010

Aug 14, 2016
Is there any last date of enrollment in Elementary School. Say, we are going to land in toronto in July/August 2018 and my kids age is 4 by then. So, can he go to elementary school from September 2018?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Is there any last date of enrollment in Elementary School. Say, we are going to land in toronto in July/August 2018 and my kids age is 4 by then. So, can he go to elementary school from September 2018?
1. No he would either go to kindergarten or pre-school, as in Canada children normally don't start grade 1 until the year they turn 6.

Reactions: saathi2010

saathi2010

Aug 14, 2016
Hi

1. No he would either go to kindergarten or pre-school, as in Canada children normally don't start grade 1 until the year they turn 6.
Thanks for your answer. So, if my kid goes to kindergarten, can he start right away from September 2018? I heard the last date of enrollment in kindergarten school for any year ends in February. If thats true, then we'll not be able to catch the February timeline.

It'll be very helpful if you can answer us. Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Technically enrollment starts in February but your local school is obligated to register your child at anytime during the school year if you can show that you live in the catchment area . A 4 year old will be in Junior Kindergaten.

Reactions: saathi2010

Devanshi211

Dec 16, 2017
Thank you Qorax.
The information was really helpful.
You said that the schools run from Sep to June usually which means July and August are not working, so what are the options for working parents during these two months?
I am a single parent and my child will turn 5 in March 2018. We are planning to migrate by the end of March. How can I manage with my job during my child’s vacation?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you Qorax.
The information was really helpful.
You said that the schools run from Sep to June usually which means July and August are not working, so what are the options for working parents during these two months?
I am a single parent and my child will turn 5 in March 2018. We are planning to migrate by the end of March. How can I manage with my job during my child’s vacation?
You will have to arrange and pat for childcare. Most families put their children in day camp at that age or hire a babysitter. Either is quite expensive unfortunately. The school day also is much shorter than a typical workday so you will probably have to look into childcare for your child after school and perhaps before school depending on your work schedule.

Jan 30, 2018
Dear Qorax,

Thank you very much for the detailed post.

I am planning to immigrate to Canada through internal job transfer. My office location is Montreal, Quebec. As I understand from your post, as an immigrant, I have no exception to choose a English public school. Please can you confirm if there is any other option(apart from Private Schools) for us to not to choose French school as neither me or my wife do not know French and will not able to help our children with home work. Also, personally I feel it is better for my Children to learn Maths, Science and other subjects in English than in French. I may opt for they learning French as one of the languages but not as the medium of instruction as that means when I return back to my country, my children will have trouble continuing their education in English medium.

Thank you,
Ramakrishnan

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear Qorax,

Thank you very much for the detailed post.

I am planning to immigrate to Canada through internal job transfer. My office location is Montreal, Quebec. As I understand from your post, as an immigrant, I have no exception to choose a English public school. Please can you confirm if there is any other option(apart from Private Schools) for us to not to choose French school as neither me or my wife do not know French and will not able to help our children with home work. Also, personally I feel it is better for my Children to learn Maths, Science and other subjects in English than in French. I may opt for they learning French as one of the languages but not as the medium of instruction as that means when I return back to my country, my children will have trouble continuing their education in English medium.

Thank you,
Ramakrishnan
No they have to go to French school unless you pay for private school.