+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

School Admissions -- Read all about it here >>>

yogeshsethi

May 29, 2017
Hello qorax,
I am trying to get the admission of my daughter in Ottawa's School in grade-8. She will complete her 13 years on Oct 12 this year. Could you please guide me, how and where I can apply for the same. Please provide me complete details for her admission and along with that please inform me will I get permission to work part time in Canada to survive their. Second as you mentioned in your post initially , to get a admission in school we need to have a lease agreement. In my kind of cases, how this clause work? Please help me brother.

Best Regards

Yogesh Sethi

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello qorax,
I am trying to get the admission of my daughter in Ottawa's School in grade-8. She will complete her 13 years on Oct 12 this year. Could you please guide me, how and where I can apply for the same. Please provide me complete details for her admission and along with that please inform me will I get permission to work part time in Canada to survive their. Second as you mentioned in your post initially , to get a admission in school we need to have a lease agreement. In my kind of cases, how this clause work? Please help me brother.

Best Regards

Yogesh Sethi
Read the website below:

http://www.ocdsb.ca/par/reg/Pages/default.aspx

yogeshsethi

May 29, 2017
Thanks sir for your information but my query is not answered yet the provided link gives the process details for those who are already landed in Canada. My problem is I am still in my hometown and looking for a process thru which I can get admission of my daughter first (Offer letter from school) and then I will start visa process on the basis of the same and along with my daughter, I can go along with her as custodian.
Please suggest

Best Regards

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks sir for your information but my query is not answered yet the provided link gives the process details for those who are already landed in Canada. My problem is I am still in my hometown and looking for a process thru which I can get admission of my daughter first (Offer letter from school) and then I will start visa process on the basis of the same and along with my daughter, I can go along with her as custodian.
Please suggest

Best Regards
That's because you posted in this forum and I thought you got your Immigrant status through FSW. You should post your message in the International students one.

Anyways, this link might be related:

http://www.studyottawa.ca/en/page/show/application-process

Last edited:
Reactions: yogeshsethi

shilpi

Nov 26, 2013
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-04-2017
AOR Received.
17-04-2017
Med's Done....
18-06-2017
Passport Req..
15-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2017
very informative

Live life

May 6, 2017
How does the age cut off work for public schools in Ontario . The cut off date for age criteria is dec31 or Sep 30?

shilpi

Nov 26, 2013
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-04-2017
AOR Received.
17-04-2017
Med's Done....
18-06-2017
Passport Req..
15-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2017
How does the age cut off work for public schools in Ontario . The cut off date for age criteria is dec31 or Sep 30?
The cut off is Dec31.

iamxty

Champion Member
Mar 13, 2017
Singapore
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-07-2017
Nomination.....
01-08-2017
AOR Received.
07-09-2017
File Transfer...
04-11-2017
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
Sir/s,

That is exactly why I have chosen to write this post -- it doesn't matter which grade or how many yrs. my kids study in my homeland/elsewhere -- in Canada they'd be taken-in as per their age on date of admission... and those "age date margins" I've mentioned against each grade in "brackets". See the examples below...

EXAMPLES:

On the date when I'm seeking admission into a school here...
a) If my child is 10yrs-08months -- he'd go to Grade-5 [a class for ages 10-11].
b) If s/he is 7yrs-03months -- goes to Grade-2 [a class for ages 7-8].
c) If the child is 15yrs-11months -- s/he will join Grade-10 [a class for ages 15-16].

Hope u get the point.
Qorax

Ps.: In many cases our kids will be "losing" 1yr. Mine did [both kids], but what the heck? Education system is much better here.
The cut off is Dec31.
does it mean that the age is considered as of dec 31 of that academic session (Aug - June)?
I have the same question.

-------------------
http://settlement.org/downloads/SWIS/Elementary.pdf

According to The Newcomer's Guide for Elementary Education in Ontario above (page 19), the grade placement is as follows:

Typical Grade Placement
Grade placement is usually determined by a child’s age, and not by the grade they completed in their country of origin. Grade placement may be different with newcomer students to ensure greater academic success.

Below is the typical age and grade placement, from January 1 of that school year:

• JK and SK: 4- and 5-year olds
  • Grade 1: 6-year-old children (with students turning 7 years old from January 1 of that school year)
  • Grade 2: 7-year-old children (with students turning 8 years old from January 1 of that school year)
  • Grade 3: 8-year-old children (with students turning 9 years old from January 1 of that school year)
  • Grade 4: 9-year-old children (with students turning 10 years old from January 1 of that school year)
  • Grade 5: 10-year-old children (with students turning 11 years old from January 1 of that school year)
  • Grade 6: 11-year-old children (with students turning 12 years old from January 1 of that school year)
-------------------

@qorax's post above, children will be taken in as per their age on date of admission.

Let's say my child's birthday is 10-Oct-2010 (she turns 7 this year), which grade can she enter if she is admitted:
1) before her birthday (at 6 yrs old)
2) after her birthday (at 7 yrs old)

Reactions: sssaaa and shilpi

doneshbajaj82

Star Member
Jul 18, 2017
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-11-2017
Nomination.....
12-09-2017
Hi all,
I am aiming to move to Ontario and I was reading about how immunisation records are mandatory requirement for getting your child admission in canadian schools. Now my eldest kid (9 year old) is immunised till 3 years of age but I lost the record document of immunisation. Now is this document necessary for admission and if yes then what will be required document in lieu of immunisation records.

geranimo

Star Member
Jun 25, 2009
Anyone has any information about gifted school concept. My friend settled in Canada last year and now his children are going to Gifted school....does it mean that they are going to private school. Would appreciate if anyone helps?