+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rules about when to enter Canada

jeffmoonchop

Jan 16, 2017
Hi I was wondering what the rules were regarding when I have to enter Canada after my PR visa is issued. For example once my wife was approved to come to the UK she had about 3 months to enter.

Also do I have to live in Canada for a certain amount of time with the PR visa for example do I have to be in Canada 3 out of the next 5 years or something?

cheers

Westendlib

May 17, 2016
You need to arrive in Canada before the "valid to" date in the application details section on your Confirmation of Permanent Residence document.

PR cards are valid for 5 years at a time. To renew it you have to prove you were in Canada for 730 days of the previous five years

Last edited:

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Your COPR (landing document) will expire one year from the date you had your medical exam. The only exception is if your passport expires prior to that date, your COPR will expire the day your passport expires.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
PR cards are valid for 5 years at a time. To renew it you have to prove you were in Canada for 730 days of the previous five years
Note that this is not just to renew a PR card (which is not a mandatory document, nor something that proves PR status). A PR must live for at least two years out of every five in Canada, this is called the Residency Obligation (or be living outside Canada with a Canadian citizen spouse, or on assignment from a Canadian company/the Canadian military/Government). If they do not, and they have any dealings with either IRCC, or CBSA (basically, crossing the border, of trying to bring anyone across the border, or get documents for themselves to cross the border), they are liable to losing their PR status.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
So what if it takes longer than a year from the medical to be approved to enter?
You may be requested to take a 2nd medical exam.

Or the visa officer can extend the validity date of your original medical.

Which option they choose in the event of a long processing time, is entirely at their discretion.