+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Return to Country of Origin

Andrei12345

Sep 20, 2017
Does anyone know if the Canadian government can help pay for a plane ticket back for someone who's visa has expired.

My mom passed away a couple of months ago, and I'm now taking care of my grandmother. Her visa expired 10+ years ago and I'm not in a financial position to sponsor her citizenship application. I think it would be better for her if she were to go back to Russia and stay at a retirement home. Unfortunately, I'm a broke grad student and can't afford a plane ticket for her.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Does anyone know if the Canadian government can help pay for a plane ticket back for someone who's visa has expired.

My mom passed away a couple of months ago, and I'm now taking care of my grandmother. Her visa expired 10+ years ago and I'm not in a financial position to sponsor her citizenship application. I think it would be better for her if she were to go back to Russia and stay at a retirement home. Unfortunately, I'm a broke grad student and can't afford a plane ticket for her.
She should be seeking assistance from her own government.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

The way I understand it, is that if you report your grandmother to CBSA/IRCC that she is here illegally, they may investigate and issue her with a removal order. To enforce this, they will pay the airline bill to deport her from Canada back to Russia.

If she ever wanted to return to Canada in the future, she would then need to repay the costs.

Note there is no way you could have ever sponsored her for "citizenship" here anyways. If you met certain income requirements you could possibly have applied to the lottery to sponsor her for PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The way I understand it, is that if you report your grandmother to CBSA/IRCC that she is here illegally, they may investigate and issue her with a removal order. To enforce this, they will pay the airline bill to deport her from Canada back to Russia.
Agreed the above will most likely work eventually. However I would expect it will take many months before there's movement on CBSA's part (they'll need to investigate, issue a departure and then deportation order, and then act on the deportation order) - so not a fast solution by any means.