+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restoring Visitor Status (Restoration of Status) - How to apply online?

ana2903

Jul 5, 2015
Hello!

I've been trying to restore my status as a visitor online, but I can't find the proper answers in the questionnaire that would lead me to restoration of status.

I keep getting "extend your visitor visa", but the fee is wrong (it asks me for $100, when the restoration fees are $200)

What should I do? Any insight on the "correct" answers that would lead me to Restoration of Status instead of Extension of Status?

I searched this forum a bazillion times for this info and couldn't find it :/ (In fact, I found people complaining that they got the restoration refused for paying the $100 instead of paying the restoration fee of $200)

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
ana2903 said:
Hello!

I've been trying to restore my status as a visitor online, but I can't find the proper answers in the questionnaire that would lead me to restoration of status.

I keep getting "extend your visitor visa", but the fee is wrong (it asks me for $100, when the restoration fees are $200)

What should I do? Any insight on the "correct" answers that would lead me to Restoration of Status instead of Extension of Status?

I searched this forum a bazillion times for this info and couldn't find it :/ (In fact, I found people complaining that they got the restoration refused for paying the $100 instead of paying the restoration fee of $200)
Most probably your visitor status is still valid. What are you answering?

ana2903

Jul 5, 2015
I'm answering that I want to stay here as a visitor, but then when it asks me what is my current status here the options are: work permit, study permit, visitor, temporary resident permit holder, live-in caregiver or refugee status.

I am actually a visitor that 'accidentally' (due to an incomplete application that got rejected) became out of status. So there is no appropriate answer for myself. I've tried selecting 'visitor' and 'temporary resident permit holder', but it won't let me pick a date to show that I am now out of status. The only way that it let me actually choose restoration was when I said I wanted to start working in Canada. When I chose those options, it offered me an Open Work Permit + Restoration.

I am married to a Canadian Citizen, but I don't believe that extends my legal stay here for more than 6 months.

I've recently become out of status - June 22nd 2015 - But I really want to sort this out ASAP, as the situation has been really stressful.

ana2903

Jul 5, 2015
OKAY! After three hours of trial and error I finally got it.

Here is the answer for future generations – Please be advised that you must answer this questionnaire truthfully. I am not sure what question was being misinterpreted by me that didn't allow me to apply for the restoration online and, as I've seen many people were having the same issue, I've decided to post my answers to give someone guidance on how I got it. Bear in mind that my answers might not necessarily be appropriate for your visa application. If you have questions, please call the CIC too!!! :)

To Restore your Status as a Visitor, I chose:

What would you like to do in Canada?
-Visit

How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
-Temporarily - more than 6 months

What is the country/territory of your passport?
-Brazil

What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.
-Canada

Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?
-Yes

DOB ... Irrelevant I think. (as long as you're more than 22 YO)
Have you lived in Canada as a permanent resident or landed immigrant?
-No

Are you a permanent resident of the United States and have your alien registration card (Green Card) or other proof of permanent residence?
-No

What is your current immigration status in Canada?
-Visitor

How are you related to your family member?
-Legally married spouse

What is your marital status?
-Married

What is your province of destination? If visiting multiple provinces, select the one in which you will be spending most of your time.
-Ontario

Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada?
-Yes

When does your status in Canada expire?
Date
-June 22, 2015

Your status has expired within the last 90 days. To restore your status, you must pay $200. If you do not restore your status, you will no longer be legally allowed to stay in Canada.
Do you want to apply to restore your status?
-Yes

Have you had a medical exam performed by a CIC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
-Yes
(The rest of the questionnaire doesn't really matter – they will evaluate if you can send the application online)

(I don't believe it's illegal to post this information here, but if it is illegal, someone, please, let me know; Accidentally overstaying my visa is enough trouble already)

coriassphenix

Jun 9, 2017
Hello I am having the Same cases as you. Actually I just wanna know how did it go ? Did you got approved ? How long is the process time thank you ?