App. Filed.......
24-03-2017
AOR Received.
24-03-2017
Med's Done....
25-05-2017
Passport Req..
19-06-2017
Hi all, according to the CRA you establish residential ties to Canada by any of the following means
a home in Canada;
a spouse or common-law partner in Canada; and
dependants in Canada;

Can someone enlighten me whether the home has to be owned or is it enough to just live in a condo say? Currently I live with my Canadian girlfriend in a condo she owns and has paid in full. I don't pay any rent. So could I be said to have a home in Canada?

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
rasholm said:
Hi all, according to the CRA you establish residential ties to Canada by any of the following means
a home in Canada;
a spouse or common-law partner in Canada; and
dependants in Canada;

Can someone enlighten me whether the home has to be owned or is it enough to just live in a condo say? Currently I live with my Canadian girlfriend in a condo she owns and has paid in full. I don't pay any rent. So could I be said to have a home in Canada?
The first question I would ask you is if you are a PR or not?
You'd be best off calling the CRA but I don't believe you actually have to own the home, the fact that you are dwelling in Canada is enough.

Other details will help shed light on your situation:

Are you working in Canada?
Do you have a SIN?
Are you set up for provincial healthcare?

If you have PR status and living in Canada full time (not as a visitor) then it's most likely you're a tax resident also.

someone else may be able to help more.

rasholm

Star Member
Apr 16, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-03-2017
AOR Received.
24-03-2017
Med's Done....
25-05-2017
Passport Req..
19-06-2017
COPRQuestion said:
The first question I would ask you is if you are a PR or not?
You'd be best off calling the CRA but I don't believe you actually have to own the home, the fact that you are dwelling in Canada is enough.

Other details will help shed light on your situation:

Are you working in Canada?
Do you have a SIN?
Are you set up for provincial healthcare?

If you have PR status and living in Canada full time (not as a visitor) then it's most likely you're a tax resident also.

someone else may be able to help more.
Thanks some more detail, no currently I am on IEC work permit for 1 year. Yes I am working full time with a SIN. I just registered yesterday for OHIP which will start on December 12.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
rasholm said:
Thanks some more detail, no currently I am on IEC work permit for 1 year. Yes I am working full time with a SIN. I just registered yesterday for OHIP which will start on December 12.
If you live and work in Canada, you are definitely a resident from the CRA's perspective. It doesn't really matter whether your condo lease is in your name or not.

rasholm

Star Member
Apr 16, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-03-2017
AOR Received.
24-03-2017
Med's Done....
25-05-2017
Passport Req..
19-06-2017
torontosm said:
If you live and work in Canada, you are definitely a resident from the CRA's perspective. It doesn't really matter whether your condo lease is in your name or not.
Thank you

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
rasholm said:
sorry if I'd known you actually work in Canada I'd have told you something different. working out residential ties for tax purposes is more for people outside of Canada. if you're there, earning money then there's no way you're not a tied for tax purposes. Sorry pal, you're gonna have to pay up

rasholm

Star Member
Apr 16, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-03-2017
AOR Received.
24-03-2017
Med's Done....
25-05-2017
Passport Req..
19-06-2017
COPRQuestion said:
sorry if I'd known you actually work in Canada I'd have told you something different. working out residential ties for tax purposes is more for people outside of Canada. if you're there, earning money then there's no way you're not a tied for tax purposes. Sorry pal, you're gonna have to pay up
Thank you, well presumably that is why you asked me if I worked in Canada because you did not know :) I was never in doubt that I was going to pay taxes, my question was actually just on what constitutes having a home on Canada, you turned it into a more general tax question which I don't mind but it was not the intent of my question :) For the record it would be a strange world we lived in if a Dane was trying to opt out of paying Canadian tax and pay Danish tax instead, in fact I was trying to establish enough ties to pay Canadian taxes and not Danish

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
rasholm said:
Thank you, well presumably that is why you asked me if I worked in Canada because you did not know :) I was never in doubt that I was going to pay taxes, my question was actually just on what constitutes having a home on Canada, you turned it into a more general tax question which I don't mind but it was not the intent of my question :) For the record it would be a strange world we lived in if a Dane was trying to opt out of paying Canadian tax and pay Danish tax instead, in fact I was trying to establish enough ties to pay Canadian taxes and not Danish
Hi there, sorry about that, I know what you mean. Now I understand you and I think you have your answer now, that even if don't own the place you still have residential ties. Do Denmark have a tax treaty with Canada. If they do then at least you're not going to pay twice. I'm in the opposite situation, I'm also a Hong Kong Permanent Resident and would much rather pay tax here

rasholm

Star Member
Apr 16, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-03-2017
AOR Received.
24-03-2017
Med's Done....
25-05-2017
Passport Req..
19-06-2017
COPRQuestion said:
Hi there, sorry about that, I know what you mean. Now I understand you and I think you have your answer now, that even if don't own the place you still have residential ties. Do Denmark have a tax treaty with Canada. If they do then at least you're not going to pay twice. I'm in the opposite situation, I'm also a Hong Kong Permanent Resident and would much rather pay tax here
No problem, yeah we do have a tax treaty luckily. I feel for you. Thanks again for your time