+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

rental property (urgent question)

Pda

Mar 6, 2015
When we rent a property we can write off the interest portion of mortgage in tax return . Is it correct? can we do the same for primary residence where we are living I mean write off the interest portion in tax refund or not. Or is it Only applicable for investment property

There is a second question pertaining to Mortgage Rate Protection/Protector clause in insurance policy. Can anyone explain me what the below means in simple English:

In the event of a covered loss or damage caused to your principal residence and should the Insured’s lending institution or bank “call in” the Insured’s
current mortgage, this policy insures, in addition to the policy limit, the difference between the current rate and a higher interest rate obtained on the
balance of the outstanding mortgage.
We will pay monthly payments only for the duration period of the current mortgage until its normal expiry or up to such earlier date your title or interest in
the premises is relinquished.
The Insurer’s monthly payments are made only for the duration period of the current mortgage until its normal expiry or up to such earlier date at which
the Insured’s title or interest in the premises is relinquished.
This policy also insures fees charged by a lawyer to obtain the new mortgage but does not insure other costs such as judgements or service charges.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Pda said:
When we rent a property we can write off the interest portion of mortgage in tax return . Is it correct? can we do the same for primary residence where we are living I mean write off the interest portion in tax refund or not. Or is it Only applicable for investment property
No - you can't write off the interest portion of your primary residence on your tax return.

ALRIVAS

Star Member
May 8, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
10-12-1994
Hi Pda it looks that you own the property and is rented you are the landlord.
Yes the interest portion and all expenses are write off.
If you are renting the property you are a tenant and you live in it then the portion you use for business purpose is a write off.
The second question regarding your insurance.
I believe you bought mortgage insurance from the mortgage institution and it also has a disability policy riding on it and it says they will pay in case you can't and if your mortgage is a variable interest mortgage they will cover if the interest goes up.
I'm sure you did not hire a realtor or the one you used has not idea about the business because all these matters should has been cover by the people you use in the process such as your mortgage broker,lawyer and realtor.