+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renouncing

Diy

Star Member
Apr 5, 2011
Dear All,
My PR card expired last year while I was still not in Canada and I did not meet the minimum time limit to renew it. I am planning to renounce my old RP and start a fresh application.
My question is about RENOUNCE APPLICATION.
I have filled it in, the only thing that I am confused about is
SHALL I ENTER MY NEW PASSPORT NUMBER in this application OR
SHALL I ENTER THE PASSPORT NUMBER ON WHICH I GOT MY LAST PR? that passport is now expired and now I have a new one.
Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but If were me I would enter my new passport number given that would be my current id that I will refer to in any future dealings with immigration. When completing the renounce form there is enough information to id you for the purpose at hand anyway, the new passport adds an extra level.

People have been on this forum where they last were in country as PR 30 years ago so they are having to renounce for example to get an ETA and for sure they only have current passport details to enter but in doing so for them closes the loop for future immigration dealings such as an ETA application.

Assume you have exhausted all options to not need to renounce such as coming in via a land border, hoping don't get reported and staying 2 years ?

Last edited:
R

rish888

As Bs65 has mentioned, before renouncing you may want to consider other options.

At the very least, if you have a U.S. visa or are eligible for one you may want to try entering by land.If you don't want to deal with appeals, instead of getting reported (if that is what the officer is inclined to do) you can always renounce at the border. (Which results in admission as a visitor for 6 months.)

Alternatively you can try applying for a PRTD.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Agreed. You may not want to wait out an appeal, but I would certainly try entering from the US (if that's an option for you) or applying for a PRTD before arbitrarily renouncing. Give the options a go before starting over........you never know how it may go.

R

rish888

Also just a quick note:

Some people on this forum have renounced their PR then come back asking how they can "reinstate it."

To clarify, once your PR is gone it's gone for good. There is no special privilege associated with being a former PR, there is no getting any benefits in Canada, nothing. After you renounce you will be a foreign national just like you were before becoming a PR. There is most certainly no way to "reinstate" your PR.

Renouncing your PR status is a significant decision and given some people seem to not have fully understand the implications of renouncing before making their choice, I would recommend considering all the implications before making your choice.

Hope everything works out!

Shovik18

May 7, 2021
I have recently applied for prtd but got refused since I did not meet the residency obligation. Currently, I am applying for a study permit, but I must renounce my pr status to do so. While doing that, I faced confusion in the application. There is a section for declaration in Part B of the renounce application. I am confused whether I have to mention anything there since I am over 18 and what should I mention there. Also, do I have to write my guardian's name there

I also want to know whether is it possible to mail my renounce application.