+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renouncing PR card

Malikke123

Mar 14, 2017
Hi,

My PR card expired over four years ago. I didn't fulfill the residency requirement. I stayed less than a year and left. I've been outside Canada since 2011 and have never gone back. I would like to apply again as skilled immigrant but I need first to resolve the PR status with the Canadian government. After reading and researching the Internet, I found that the best way for me is to voluntarily renounce the PR card and then apply again.

I have two questions:

( 1 ) How long does the Canadian government usually take to revoke the PR from the time it receives the renunciation application?

( 2 ) I live in Saudi Arabia. Where should I send the application of PR card renunciation? Should it be sent to Helifax in Canada or the Canadian Embassy in Abu Dhabi (UAE)?

Thanks for your help,

M.

Reactions: agentsophy

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
I believe the correct terminology is "Renounce PR status". PR card is simply an ID document that shows your PR status.

Some of your questions are answered here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/voluntarily-renounce.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5781ETOC.asp

I don't know how much time does it take.

You can also renounce it by showing up at the Canadian border (get a visitor visa first). A CBSA agent from Immigration will most likely ask you to sign a form renouncing the status and the effect of it is immediate I believe.

Reactions: lossada

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
smtele said:
I believe the correct terminology is "Renounce PR status". PR card is simply an ID document that shows your PR status.

Some of your questions are answered here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/voluntarily-renounce.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5781ETOC.asp

I don't know how much time does it take.

You can also renounce it by showing up at the Canadian border (get a visitor visa first). A CBSA agent from Immigration will most likely ask you to sign a form renouncing the status and the effect of it is immediate I believe.
You can't get a visa as a PR. Only a valid PR card or PRTD will get you onto commercial transportation.

Reactions: TempResident

agentsophy

Apr 26, 2017
Hi,

My PR card expired over four years ago. I didn't fulfill the residency requirement. I stayed less than a year and left. I've been outside Canada since 2011 and have never gone back. I would like to apply again as skilled immigrant but I need first to resolve the PR status with the Canadian government. After reading and researching the Internet, I found that the best way for me is to voluntarily renounce the PR card and then apply again.

I have two questions:

( 1 ) How long does the Canadian government usually take to revoke the PR from the time it receives the renunciation application?

( 2 ) I live in Saudi Arabia. Where should I send the application of PR card renunciation? Should it be sent to Helifax in Canada or the Canadian Embassy in Abu Dhabi (UAE)?

Thanks for your help,

M.
Hey

I have a very similar issue...I mailed my application pack to renounce PR to Abu Dhabi and its been over a month, havent heard from them!! can u tell me what happened with yours? I got an ITA and i need to get this done asap so I can submit my EE application with my husband..

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The chances are that immigration may just process a PR renounce and not acknowledge the fact given to them it brings the PR status to a conclusion and they are not really that interested after that.

sunami777

Sep 18, 2017
Hey

I have a very similar issue...I mailed my application pack to renounce PR to Abu Dhabi and its been over a month, havent heard from them!! can u tell me what happened with yours? I got an ITA and i need to get this done asap so I can submit my EE application with my husband..
Hey agentsophy, I am also in a similar situation, waiting to receive confirmation on PR renunciation from the embassy in Abu Dhabi. Did you eventually get a reply from them? how long did it take?

agentsophy

Apr 26, 2017
Hey agentsophy, I am also in a similar situation, waiting to receive confirmation on PR renunciation from the embassy in Abu Dhabi. Did you eventually get a reply from them? how long did it take?
Hi,

It took them about three weeks to revert, but I kept emailing and bugging them - eventually a Visa officer called me to pacify that they're over loaded with a lot of work and they will definitely get back within a month - they also confirmed receipt of the application pack! Good luck!!! btw We just got our PPR so it was all good!

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Hey

Hello there. I am just wondering how long did it take in the end for you? Also, how come you could have created a new EE profile before you officially renounced your PR status?

hidden.p3arl

Sep 5, 2016
Hi,

I have two questions:

Thanks for your help,

M.
Hii
How did you send your documents to abu dhabi? By dhl?
But on cic website its mentioned that send ir ro embassy of canada in riyadh.
Please reply im in same situation