+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reimbursement for pregnancy costs after receiving PR

montecarlo85

Mar 6, 2017
Hello all,

I'm a Canadian citizen sponsoring my wife who is from Amman, Jordan. Her application was submitted outland in October 2014. We had completed everything requested from us, including a medical test, and we were waiting for a response. I asked repeatedly if they needed anything else but never received a response.

She's been in Canada on a visitor's visa since January 2015.

My wife became pregnant in July 2016, and three months into her pregnancy, the government requested a second medical exam which included a chest x-ray. We decided to defer it as it could harm the baby, so now we have to wait until March 2017 (this month) after she gives birth to complete the medical exam. I've inquired about her file and everything else has cleared, and all they need is the chest x-ray done.

I have two questions:

1. From others' experience, how long does it normally take after the final medical exam (assuming the government doesn't need anything else) for my wife to get her PR?

2. I am told that after she receives her PR, she has to wait three months to receive OHIP coverage. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation and if so, is it possible to get reimbursement for the pregnancy costs, even it it means going through a lawyer?

Luckily, I assumed the worst case scenario before she became pregnant and got her private insurance which covers 80% of her pregnancy costs. As a pregnancy could cost upwards to $10,000 here in Ontario, it still means I'll be paying about $2,000 or more for my wife's medical bills.

I tried applying for OHIP but was told since her application is outland, she does not qualify.

Common sense tells me the spouse of a Canadian citizen who has been in Canada for the past 2 years should be covered, but the law says otherwise.

I'd love to hear suggestions from anyone, especially those with similar experiences.

All the best,
J

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Your wife is on a visitors visa and not eligible for OHIP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
While processing times vary from office to office, I would expect she should have PPR within a month or two of completing the medical.

You won't be reimbursed for any out of pocket expenses related to the pregnancy or delivery. Don't waste money on a lawyer. As explained above, she is a visitor to Canada and doesn't qualify for OHIP coverage.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
montecarlo85 said:
I'm a Canadian citizen sponsoring my wife who is from Amman, Jordan. Her application was submitted outland in October 2014.
There is a stage during the outland processing time, where an applicant residing in Canada becomes eligible for OHIP. Read this thread for more info, specifically the posts from "bartjones": http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-ohip-eligibility-info-for-all-pr-applicants-residing-in-ontario-t56695.0.html;msg2518001#msg2518001

Basically she needs to follow some steps to see if she's already eligible for OHIP
1. Go to any Service Ontario office to apply for OHIP. Most likely she will be rejected and told she doesn't qualify, so make sure to get that rejection in writing
2. Send the rejection to the OERC (OHIP Eligibility Review Committee) and explain her PR app is processing. They should send her some documents to sign giving consent to OERC to contact visa office for her file
3. OERC will determine if her outland PR app has passed the stage (called "AFP") making her eligible for OHIP. If this stage occurred a while ago, you may find her waiting period will be back-dated and she may already be eligible for OHIP. Else if the stage has not occurred yet, she will be waiting some more

In meantime you are already well prepared since you got insurance covering pregnancy in advance. To even further minimize costs, you can search for a midwife in your area as their services are free to those even not under OHIP. Cost of pregnancy care and ultimately delivery in hospital with the midwife instead of a doctor, can be reduced significantly using a midwife. Since their services are in high demand, so you may not have any luck finding one available for your wife.

montecarlo85

Mar 6, 2017
Rob_TO said:
1. Go to any Service Ontario office to apply for OHIP. Most likely she will be rejected and told she doesn't qualify, so make sure to get that rejection in writing
2. Send the rejection to the OERC (OHIP Eligibility Review Committee) and explain her PR app is processing. They should send her some documents to sign giving consent to OERC to contact visa office for her file
3. OERC will determine if her outland PR app has passed the stage (called "AFP") making her eligible for OHIP. If this stage occurred a while ago, you may find her waiting period will be back-dated and she may already be eligible for OHIP. Else if the stage has not occurred yet, she will be waiting some more
Many thanks for your input. Do you think the letter of rejection is necessary to file an appeal? I already went to ServiceOntario but it didn't cross my mind to ask for the rejection in writing.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
montecarlo85 said:
Many thanks for your input. Do you think the letter of rejection is necessary to file an appeal? I already went to ServiceOntario but it didn't cross my mind to ask for the rejection in writing.
I believe it's required. But you can always contact OERC and find out if simply being rejected but not having the rejection letter is enough.