+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

re-applying immediately after refusal

jabrown2

Nov 5, 2016
My boyfriend was recently rejected on visiting my self in Canada over the holidays. I came across an older thread about reapplying that states it may be beneficial to applying immediately after rejection even if not adding supporting documents and wondering if this is wise given the case below. If not, does anyone have any advise?

Link to previous article:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/reapplying-immediately-after-a-trv-refusal-t74388.0.html

The reasons of his refusal were travel history and purpose of travel

Travel History:As for the first one, he's travelled many time outside of his country of Zimbabwe in the past 5 years including back and forth to his neighbouring country, which we listed every one (almost 20) and showed stamps. He's also travelled far to Russia to study and lived in his neighbouring country, both of which we have submitted his stamps and permits to show that he has not abused the visitors date. The only thing I can see is that three of the stamps to his neigbouring country are not visible due to water damage. However they were during the time of his 5 year permit so he was able to go and come as he pleased.

Purpose of Travel: Our reason was that I am home for the holidays until Feb (I usually work abroad) and he is off work until then as well so it's a good time for him to come visit me and my family over the holidays.

Do you think if we re-apply without adding additional info (i don't know what we can add at this point) it would be ok?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Short answer: No. It will not work.

It is necessary to prove the refusal reasons were addressed. One must reapply only when the circumstances change and/or if additional evidence is available (which was not submitted earlier)

jabrown2

Nov 5, 2016
Thank you for the reply!

Can you please advice us on what kind of additional support they would need for travel history? We have both expired and current passport and stamps, all stamps recorded on the application form for the past five years as well as his two permits (previous residence permit to Botswana and Study permit to Russia)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Do share the documents which he submitted to prove that he will return to his home country/his strong ties

What was the duration of his visit? Did he draw up plans like a typical tourist?

Did he mention he is in a relationship with you?

My advice is do not focus on just Travel History and Purpose of Visit as these tend to be generic refusal reasons when someone has not proved other strong ties

jabrown2

Nov 5, 2016
We stated that his purpose was to visit his girlfriend (myself) in Canada over the holidays while I am home from working abraod and he has a work break. I think we may add that I will be leaving again in February and thus at this point he will have no ties in Canada - only in his country. For this ties is family, job, and we will also submit a letter of confirmation that he is a committee member and player at a rugby club there.

We also submitted:
- Travel history, stamps, and residence and study permits to other countries. We will also point out that he hasn't abused the dates to overstay these permits
- passport and photo
- finicial support (pay slips and letter of employment from my self, him, my parents and his parents)
- his letter of employment
- the necessary forms
- letter of explanation
- letter of invitation from both myself and my parents

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unless he has past travel to countries such as UK, US, Europe - CIC won't regard his travel history as at all strong unfortunately.

I would recommend you shorten his trip to 2 weeks when you reapply. I believe you were going for a 1 month trip and this seems very long.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here are my suggestions:

For Travel History:
The visa officer may not go through his passports. Do prepare a Travel History explanation stating visa details, entry/exit dates, purpose of each visit, scan the residence and study permits.

For Purpose of Visit:
Do keep his visit to 2-3 weeks max. You can prepare a day-by-day itinerary for sightseeing, meeting friends/relatives with expense estimates. He must prove he can pay for this itinerary.

For Employment:
Do include a leave approval letter stating he will have his job when he returns, 2 years tax returns, some work commitment which he must return to after the holidays with evidence

Other evidence:
1. Does he have a lease agreement in his name?

2. Or property ownership?

3. Does he live with his family? Are they dependent on him financially? If yes, can he include evidence for this or if he pays the rent, utility bills etc.

4. Do include evidence of your employment, plane ticket bookings to show you will leave Canada for your work commitments

5. Do include the letter of the rugby club, and any evidence that he must return for a scheduled event

jabrown2

Nov 5, 2016
Thank you for the info!

If we apply for 2-3 weeks do you think they would give us more? or can we extend later?

Also, when re-applying we stated the reasons for refusal in the cover letter and the original application number, should we also attach the refusal letter its-self?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
The TRV validity depends on the assessment made by the visa officer. It could be a single-entry, 6 months visa or even a maximum multiple-entry visa until passport expiry.

Getting a TRV is one part. It only helps to travel to Canada. How long one is actually allowed to remain in Canada depends on the immigration officer at the POE.

You must state the UCI Number in the TRV application form + cover letter. You can include a copy of the refusal letter

jabrown2

Nov 5, 2016
Oh OK, great, thanks for the info!

The online application only allows one document upload per section and when I try attach the refusal letter from CIC to the cover letter via adobe reader the boxes with the X turn from blue to white and the X's look a little funny. Thus I'm not sure if they will think we modified it and don't know how to fix it.. do you think this would be ok?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Any additional explanations and evidence must be combined as a single PDF file. You can upload this to Optional.

Do include all evidence and explanations like I suggested earlier.... especially those which show you will leave the country for a nearly 1-year long work commitment.

You can state the reference number of the TRV refusal letter in the cover letter

jabrown2

Nov 5, 2016
We will include all other documents. Its just the refusal letter I'm wondering about. If it looks slightly different than the original (simply because of file transfer) do you think this is ok? or is it better off leaving it out and just including the application no. and the UCI.