+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RAMQ waiting period + best immigrant insurance

syphix

Star Member
Sep 23, 2013
Hello,

I think long time ago, i read somewhere that, the for month in which we arrive and register for RAMQ, this month counts as one month irrespective if we arrive on 1st of the month or end of the month, meaning we can save 1 month of waiting period if we come end of the month.

Is that true? Or do i have to buy private insurance of 90 days?

Also, anyone tried Destination Canada insurance? Is it good?

Or what is the best insurance for new comers to Quebec?

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
Hello,

I think long time ago, i read somewhere that, the for month in which we arrive and register for RAMQ, this month counts as one month irrespective if we arrive on 1st of the month or end of the month, meaning we can save 1 month of waiting period if we come end of the month.

RAMQ doesn't considers date of arrival , the day from you apply at RAMQ counter starts from thr ,

Reactions: gaye_ga

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
Hello,

> Is that true? Or do i have to buy private insurance of 90 days?

Yes a private insurance till you get your healthcard is a good idea.

> Or what is the best insurance for new comers to Quebec?

The best type will be the employer provided group insurance. Other private insurances, you have to do your research based on your health conditions and buying power. The more premium you give, the more features & coverage you get. Insurance works like that ;)

Note: Even if you get healthcard, you have to find a doctor who is willing to take you as a patient. Or you have to go and wait in CLSC clinics for many long hours. ( except emergencies ). Getting a family doctor is near to impossible for a new immigrant so GPs are the way to go for time being. To get a GP you have to apply to RAMQ online and wait atleast 300 days and a GP will call you.

Register in RAMQ waitinglist here after getting your Quebec healthcard.
http://sante.gouv.qc.ca/en/programmes-et-mesures-daide/inscription-aupres-d-un-medecin-de-famille/

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

vishalverma023

Sep 14, 2016
Hi Guys,

so a friend of mine is currently living in Montreal and he got his PR from express as his company is based out of Ontario. Please advise if he will be able to get the health card from quebec as RAMQ is asking for CSQ.

Thanks

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
Hi Guys,

so a friend of mine is currently living in Montreal and he got his PR from express as his company is based out of Ontario. Please advise if he will be able to get the health card from quebec as RAMQ is asking for CSQ.

Thanks
What is his landing destination on COPR ?

Nevo91

Jan 23, 2018
Hi guys,
I will do landing(through land borders) in Montreal on first of March 2018
My question is how long does it take to take an appointment for RAMQ?