+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question re: Visa requirements for re-entry into Canada, already have work visa

chiclets

Jul 30, 2009
Hi,

Me and my wife have work visa and permit which is valid till Nov. 2010. We want to travel to our home country (India) for couple of weeks this December and then return to work in Canada. My work visa does not say multiple-entry and I assume that I need to apply for another visa in order to come back and resume work.

My questions are:
1) What kind of visa should I apply for? Temporary Resident Visa or Work Visa? Since I already have work permit, shouldn't a temporary resident visa do?

2) Where do we apply for this visa? We're in Vancouver region. Seattle/Buffalo? Is it safe/okay to send your passport via courier?

3) Recently, I've submitted our Canadian PR application (under BC PNP) to Buffalo, US office and may have to appear for an interview in US. Considering this, should we apply for a multiple-entry visa or single-entry visa? I'm not sure if I'm required a re-entry visa after a short trip to US. Somewhere I read that a re-entry visa is not required but nobody would confirm that. Visa inquiry call center# of CIC.gc.ca is totally useless.

Thanks a lot for your help!
-Vishal

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
1) You would need temporary resident visa (TRV).

2) Seattle seems to be the nearest consulate. You can apply there. It is safe but it takes time to get the visa by mail.

3) You can enter Canada from US even with expired TRV, as long as your work permit is valid. I would suggest applying for the multiple-entry visa. In case of emergencies if you have to leave Canada (USA or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon) you would need a visa to return back.

chiclets

Jul 30, 2009
Re: Question re: Visa requirements for re-entry into Canada, already have work v

Thanks accreddy! Thats what I had figured.

One more related question - would I've to send a pre-paid fedex envelope that consulate would use to return my passports or that service is part of processing fees they charge? I was not able to dig this information in CIC Seattle website. :(

Best,
Vishal

PS: On a lighter side, 75 for single entry and 150 for multiple-entry do not make any sense. How much extra work has consulate staff to do to make it multiple entry?

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
You can opt for
1) send self-addressed return envelope (Consulate will use USPS First Class Mail).
2) use Fedex (you would have to pay for it) (for courier only Fedex is accepted).

Check this link (under Document Return Procedure):
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/seattle/offices-bureaux/hours-heures.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=3&menu=L

Make sure you include all the required documents (http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/seattle/imm/visa_temp.aspx?lang=eng#REQUIREMENTSALL). You should show your current status of employment.

I am not sure about how much additional work is put in for issuing multiple-entry visa.

chiclets

Jul 30, 2009
Re: Question re: Visa requirements for re-entry into Canada, already have work v

Thanks very much! You're awesome. :)

It mentions two procedures:

1) Just send a self-addressed return envelope and they will return documents by USPS. It however does not mention if this envelope should have postage stamps affixed or not? Strangely, they have made it clear in case of addresses inside US (that postage has to be paid by applicant).

2) FedEx courier with an airway bill and returned courier envelope. Both sender and recipient section should show the applicant's name and address (I guess sender's address would be Canada even if the package is originating from US??) and most importantly, applicant's FedEx account # for billing purpose (no check or credit card accepted). Since I don't have a FedEx account, I guess I should open one with them and then use this option.

Thanks again. Much appreciated!

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
1) I suppose it should be pre-paid for Canada addresses as well.

2) Yes, that is correct. It says that the Consulate's address must not appear on the waybill.

chiclets

Jul 30, 2009

Final question (hopefully) and would appreciate if somebody could answer soonest.

I plan to use my TD Canada Trust bank account to get a bank draft made for 150$ - My question is should it be in the name of "RECEIVER GENERAL FOR CANADA" or "The Canadian Consulate-General” as pages on Seattle office's website provide contradictory information.

See:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/seattle/imm/visa_temp.aspx?lang=eng#FEE
&
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/seattle/imm/fees-frais_seattle.aspx?lang=eng

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
It should be "Receiver General for Canada" since you are drawing it on a Canadian Bank and should be in $CAD.

chiclets

Jul 30, 2009

Thanks! All doubts resolved. :)

ucanreply

Nov 9, 2009

Hi chiclets

This thread is exactly what i'm looking? So i guess you send by courier to seattle consulate and hopefully has your multiple entry visa. I need to travel to india and planning to send it to buffalo centre?

So would you mind telling, how many days it took for processing? I mean from the day you sent courier? I have just 2 weeks before i travel.

vivenhs

Nov 27, 2008

PS: On a lighter side, 75 for single entry and 150 for multiple-entry do not make any sense. How much extra work has consulate staff to do to make it multiple entry?
[/quote]

Re single entry and multiple entry visa:

Look at it the other way around - how much extra work one has to do if he/she needs to re enter.

vivenhs

Sukhie

Star Member
Mar 23, 2012
I cannot find the info regarding paying the fees in Buffalo. On the general cic website it says visa offices outside Canada cannot accept payment made in Canada

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/assets/pdfs/visas/50_1_eng.pdf

See how to pay fees

How to pay fees
The visa office in Buffalo:

ONLY accepts these payment instruments: Bank draft, Money order, Cashier’s cheque, Cash*

*If paying in person, US or Canadian funds only. Exact amount required.

If paying in Canadian funds, make your payment instrument payable to the Receiver General for Canada. Payment in Canadian funds by bank draft or certified cheque must be drawn on a bank located in Canada.