+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on taking IELTS academic or general.

nithin26

Sep 3, 2017
Hello Folks,

I have an US masters and this is my fourth year in states, now I am looking towards Canada.

As far as my limited years of experience, I am aware that the two options for entering Canada is by applying for any university(academic IELTS) or by applying for permanent resident which needs general IELTS.

Now, I am in confused state on taking which IELTS exam. At this point I have no priority on studies/work but I want to make myself prepared with IELTS band.

Note:
1. While applying to US universities back in 2013, I've got academic IETLS band 6.5 which is expired now.
2. I have 2 years of work experience from giant US software companies.

Please provide insights towards the query.

Thanks,

rehanacca

Apr 22, 2017
If you just want to prepare for IELTS, you can still do so until you decide which stream to apply.

There is no difference between listening and Speaking modules so you can prepare for these two modules without any issues.

Reading module of GT involves topic more related to general interest while the academic reading is more based on text book or course content topics. the exam structure is same but Academic one is just more difficult in nature.

In writing, Topic 1 GT asks you to write a letter while in academic you have to explain a flow chart or kind of bar diagram. Topic 2 is always an Essay in both IELTS. it's just the nature of the topic which differs.

Reactions: nithin26