+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about travel document for permanent residents

CanadaJoe

Oct 12, 2017
LANDED..........
31-08-2012
Hi,

I’m a permanent resident of Canada and I fulfilled my residency obligations for the past 5 years, but I’m currently in Germany and my PR card expires early in December. I contacted the VAC in Düsseldorf and the embassy in Vienna but they didn't answer my questions. Maybe someone here has been in a similar situation and can help:
I will not be able to go back to Canada before January. My question is, if I apply for a travel document, how long would it be valid ... in other words, how soon after receiving the document would I have to enter Canada? Also, if I travel back to Canada via the United States, will the travel document be valid there as well or would I have to travel back to Canada directly from Germany? I’m asking because I will be in New York for 5 days in January and it would make sense to take a plane/bus/train back to Canada from there. I know I can enter by car from the US without a travel document but unfortunately that's not an option.

Thank you very much for your help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I’m a permanent resident of Canada and I fulfilled my residency obligations for the past 5 years, but I’m currently in Germany and my PR card expires early in December. I contacted the VAC in Düsseldorf and the embassy in Vienna but they didn't answer my questions. Maybe someone here has been in a similar situation and can help:
I will not be able to go back to Canada before January. My question is, if I apply for a travel document, how long would it be valid ... in other words, how soon after receiving the document would I have to enter Canada? Also, if I travel back to Canada via the United States, will the travel document be valid there as well or would I have to travel back to Canada directly from Germany? I’m asking because I will be in New York for 5 days in January and it would make sense to take a plane/bus/train back to Canada from there. I know I can enter by car from the US without a travel document but unfortunately that's not an option.

Thank you very much for your help!
Hi

I believe they are usually issued with 6 months validity, though it can vary. The PRTD is not country-specific; you can come to Canada from wherever you want.