+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about the old citizenship requirements (pre-2015)

Lily556677

Sep 11, 2017
I am trying to find this info, but the search results are flooded with the post-2015 and new 2017 requirements.

I remember reading in the application guide back in 2012 that if the applicant does not have the required number of days, they MAY get referred to a citizenship judge. Meaning that the officer can approve the application if he/she is satisfied but refer it to a citizenship judge if they are not.

Is that accurate? Does the officer have the power to approve it? or are they required to refer all applications short on days automatically to a citizenship judge?

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Officer has the power to approve, deny or refer to a judge. It is completely up to him.
You also have the right to appeal a negative decision. If you do, very likely you will end up before a judge unless it is blatantly obvious you do not meet the requirements.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I am trying to find this info, but the search results are flooded with the post-2015 and new 2017 requirements.

I remember reading in the application guide back in 2012 that if the applicant does not have the required number of days, they MAY get referred to a citizenship judge. Meaning that the officer can approve the application if he/she is satisfied but refer it to a citizenship judge if they are not.

Is that accurate? Does the officer have the power to approve it? or are they required to refer all applications short on days automatically to a citizenship judge?
A Citizenship Officer now has the legal authority to approve and grant citizenship to any eligible applicant. That includes an applicant who applied before June 11, 2015 and who met the basic residency test even if he or she had less than 1095 days of actual physical presence. To be qualified for the grant of citizenship, however, such an applicant must have been resident-in-Canada at least three years (1095 days), applying a residency test rather a strict presence test.

The longer explanation; for applications made BEFORE June 11, 2015:

A Citizenship Officer has the legal authority to grant citizenship to a shortfall applicant (for any application in process after August 1, 2014). The Citizenship Officer may do so without any referral to a Citizenship Judge. That is, no approval from a CJ is necessary for IRCC to grant citizenship.

However, IRCC probably has internal policies which prescribe guidelines, which may be binding, for when the Citizenship Officer may grant citizenship in a shortfall case. We do not know what these are.

As long as the applicant met the basic residency requirement (which every PR met after being a PR for three years, even if the PR never actually resided in Canada), a Citizenship Officer does NOT have authority to deny the application on the grounds the applicant did not meet the residency requirement. (Since August 1, 2014 Citizenship Officers have had legal authority to deny applications for various other grounds, like prohibitions.)

The Citizenship Officer may decline to grant citizenship and refer the case to a Citizenship Judge. (This applies to old law residency cases, and continues to apply to presence-cases.) If this happens, the application is not denied by the Officer but rather it is given to a CJ who will decide whether to approve or not approve the application for citizenship. If the CJ does not approve the application, the applicant will be notified and allowed a certain amount of time to request leave for judicial review (no right of appeal). If the CJ approves the applicant for a grant of citizenship, the file goes back to IRCC and the Citizenship Officer will either proceed to grant citizenship (and the applicant will be scheduled for the oath) or a Citizenship official will file an appeal to the Federal Court.

If the Citizenship Officer declines to grant citizenship on residency grounds, and thus refers the case to a CJ, there is usually a CJ hearing, which in practice this is more or less an interview with the Citizenship Judge. The law appears to allow a CJ to make a decision without an in-person hearing with the applicant, but I've seen no reports at all of this procedure.

Summary/overview of procedure:

Citizenship Officer may grant citizenship or refer residency case to Citizenship Judge.

If the case is referred to a Citizenship Judge, the CJ meets with applicant (usually) and either grants approval or denies approval.

If approved, applicant will be granted citizenship (and scheduled for the oath) unless IRRC exercises its RIGHT of appeal to the Federal Court.

If the CJ denies approval, the applicant does NOT have a right of appeal. However, the applicant can make an application to the Federal Court seeking leave to obtain judicial review.

When a CJ denies the shortfall applicant, the odds are not good that leave to obtain judicial review will be given (unless there is some other error in the CJ's decision), and even if leave is allowed, the odds of the appeal being granted are not at all good.

[to be continued]

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
[Continuing prior post:]

For clarification; some further observations about shortfall applications:

(Again, this is only about applications made prior to June 11, 2015.)

What is a shortfall application? A shortfall application is a pre-June 11, 2015 application in which the applicant had less than 1095 days actual physical presence but who met the basic residency requirement and who claims to have been resident-in-Canada for three full years. While it is more complicated, subject to many nuances, in general the successful shortfall applicant is someone whose life was centralized in Canada for more than three years but who had temporary absences from Canada such that the total number of days actually present in Canada totaled less than 1095.

Basically, a resident of Toronto remains a resident of Toronto even when he is on a business trip to Ottawa, or Montreal. And likewise if the trip is to New York or Paris. If he remains a resident of Toronto, thus a resident of Ontario, is he not still a resident of Canada, during that time, as well?

That is probably a relatively easy call for a small number of business trips and a brief holiday or two abroad (in which event, however, it would have been stupid to not wait those extra days so as to meet the residency requirement based on at least 1095 days of actual physical presence). However, the circumstances in the lives of immigrants tend to vary greatly and are often a lot more complicated than that. Moreover, given the statutory language for how days were to be calculated, many legal authorities, including numerous Federal Court justices, argued or, in the case of Federal Court justices ruled, that for purposes of the citizenship residency requirement, only days actually physically present counted toward meeting the residency requirement. Since the decision of one Federal Court justice is not binding on other Federal Court justices, conflicting standards developed.

While it is more complicated, basically there were two different standards or tests which could be applied:
-- actual physical presence test requiring 1095 or more days physically present in Canada to meet the old 3/4 residency requirement
-- centralized mode of living in Canada residency test (actually there are multiple versions of this) which, if applied, would allow someone to be granted citizenship even though they had less than 1095 days of actual presence

In particular, in many, many cases, CJs applied a strict physical presence standard, and would not even consider a shortfall case. In some cases, however, CJs applied a qualitative residency test pursuant to which some shortfall applicants were approved, and became citizens.

The shortfall application is, thus, dependent on persuading a CJ to apply a qualitative residency test rather than the physical presence test. Shortfall applications were very common until a few years into the period of time when Harper was the Prime Minister. By 2008 or 2009, or so, it became apparent that under Harper, CIC (as it was then) was pushing the strict presence test approach, thus pushing for the denial of shortfall applications generally. During that period (up to August 1, 2014), Citizenship Judges decided ALL citizenship applications (subject to the right of appeal, which both applicants and CIC had . . . unlike now, IRCC having a right to appeal a CJ's approval but the applicant does not have a right to appeal being denied, just the right to make an application seeking leave to, in effect, appeal).

Now, in shortfall cases IRCC can grant citizenship or refer the case to a CJ.

It warrants remembering and emphasizing that a CJ can apply the strict presence test without even considering a qualitative residency test. A very recent Federal Court decision affirmed that the CJ can do so without any explanation for why the strict presence test is applied. If this test is applied, a shortfall applicant will be denied citizenship. Period. In such a case, it is likely that no leave for judicial review will be given, but even if an appeal is granted, the odds of succeeding in the appeal are very, very low (unless the CJ committed some other error).

Overall, for many years the shortfall application was a long shot, usually a very long shot. Especially in the later years of the Harper government, when a high percentage of CJs were Harper appointees and CIC was rather aggressively advocating that shortfall applications be denied.

Whether the institution of a Liberal government has changed the odds much, is hard to guess.

There were three quite recent Federal Court decisions in shortfall cases:
-- in one, the shortfall was quite small but the CJ applied the strict physical presence test; while leave to obtain judical review was allowed, the Federal Court upheld the CJ and explicitly ruled that a CJ can apply the strict test without even considering a qualitative test, without any explanation or reason for choosing to apply the strict test (sorry, I do not have the cite or a link handy for this case)
-- the other two involved very substantial shortfalls, but in both cases the CJ granted approval and IRCC appealed. Justice Shore granted one appeal. Justice Elliott denied the appeal in the other.

see http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/fr/item/233859/index.do for the Aman case (decision by Justice Shore, Minister's appeal granted and case to go back to another CJ for reconsideration; in this case, applicant present a mere 420 days, a shortfall of 675 less than the 1095 day threshold)

see http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/233847/index.do for the Saddique case (decision by Justice Elliott upholding CJ's approval, shortfall applicant to become a citizen; this applicant, who should be a citizen by now, was only present for 177 days)

These two cases are reminescent of the pre-Harper days, when there were scores of shortfall applications, many succeeding despite falling way short of 1095 days actual presence. Even well into Harper's terms, until 2011 or so, a shortfall applicant could be granted citizenship without being referred to a CJ hearing unless the days physically present were less than 900 days. (CJ approval was still required, and by 2010 the odds of a CJ hearing were high for virtually any shortfall, even though the formal policy (internal policy, as revealed through ATI applications) did not mandate a hearing unless the applicant had less than 900 days.)

My guess: most if not nearly any shortfall application still in process is still likely to go to a CJ hearing. While how it is likely to go then is really unknown, my further guess is that the odds against the shortfall application are still high. But obviously, some pre-June 2015 shortfall applicants are successful.

Lily556677

Sep 11, 2017
[Continuing prior post:]

For clarification; some further observations about shortfall applications:

(Again, this is only about applications made prior to June 11, 2015.)

What is a shortfall application? A shortfall application is.......

Thank you for the detailed explanation. My application is still in process and wasn't referred to a CJ yet. I wrote a letter to be submitted to the officer in charge of my file explaining the reasoning behind the shortfall and how it was not my choice to file early. My life is centralized in Canada for over a decade, and if other tests are applied, I will certainly get an oath invite. The officer might feel sorry for me as I explained in my letter that I:
Had to apply 3 months early in 2011 (with documents to prove this),
received an RQ in 2011,
passed my test in 2015,
received another RQ in 2015,
received an invite for an interview in 2017 but got cancelled (pending my Residency Appeal hearing filed in 2014),
went through my Residency appeal hearing successfully in mid 2017 (the IRCC accepted my reasons covering the period 2011-2014 under humanitarian and compassionate grounds and conceded).

But with my luck, I know that I'm likely going to get referred to a judge and that is an extra year or two waiting in que. My lawyer thinks I should give it 6 more months before thinking of filing for writ of mandamus. I am just tired and I don't know if I have it in me to go through it.

Part of me wants to start fresh with a new application, yet, the other part wants to see this through after so much time and effort.

Knowing my timeline, what do you think is likely to happen?

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
But with my luck, I know that I'm likely going to get referred to a judge and that is an extra year or two waiting in que. My lawyer thinks I should give it 6 more months before thinking of filing for writ of mandamus. I am just tired and I don't know if I have it in me to go through it.

Part of me wants to start fresh with a new application, yet, the other part wants to see this through after so much time and effort.

Knowing my timeline, what do you think is likely to happen?

Rarely prudent to guess outcomes unless there is no question about the facts (not to be confused with an individual's beliefs or assertions as to the facts), and definitive criteria, and your situation, in particular, is rife with all sorts of factual issues and not at all definitive criteria (no certainty as to which test will be applied, and even if a qualitative test is applied, no certainty about how the elements of such a test will be applied).

For example, if it is for sure a fact that an applicant who applied after June 11, 2015 was physically present less than 1460 days, no need to guess the outcome, the outcome is known: application to be denied. The current 1460 physical presence requirement imposes a definitive standard and the fact of falling short dictates the applicant is not qualified.

Beyond that, even though the quality and competence of lawyers can vary greatly, generally I defer to the lawyer. In particular, I am very reluctant to question or qualify a lawyer's opinion or advice. At the very least, the lawyer undoubtedly knows a great deal more about the relevant facts in your case, and their context.

I will say I do not see the point of spending the money to pursue an application for a Writ of Mandamus. The most that would likely accomplish is getting the case referred to a Citizenship Judge sooner without improving the odds of success at all.

Particularly if you have been living in Canada since 2014, you will likely be eligible for citizenship under the Bill C-6 changes when they take effect, and a new application might be the more practical course to follow. If you have not been living in Canada for most of the time since 2014, your lawyer can better advise you regarding the way forward from here.