+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about a work reference letter/ Statutory Declaration from a colleague

Kaushal187

Star Member
Sep 2, 2014
It is not possible for me to get a reference letter from the company I am working with the duties I have carried out.

But I can get a letter from a colleague with the duties and notarized the letter. But it is not in a letter head. Will this be enough?

Do I need to get a Statutory Declaration type document or just letter type document? Which is better?

If someone have any examples letters please share....

Please help me to figure this out.....

happy-go-lucky

Star Member
Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO (transferred to WVO)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2014
Nomination.....
28-01-2015
AOR Received.
24-02-2015 (Warsaw)
File Transfer...
ECAS 2nd line update: Started processing: 10-04-2015
Med's Request
09-05-2015
Med's Done....
23-05-2015
Interview........
PCC/RPRF Reciept/ Updated POF sent on 29 May 2015. Received on 1 June, 2015. Third line update in ECAS on 2nd June, 2015
Passport Req..
06-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2015
LANDED..........
Feb 2015
Kaushal187 said:
It is not possible for me to get a reference letter from the company I am working with the duties I have carried out.

But I can get a letter from a colleague with the duties and notarized the letter. But it is not in a letter head. Will this be enough?

Do I need to get a Statutory Declaration type document or just letter type document? Which is better?

If someone have any examples letters please share....

Please help me to figure this out.....
Hi Kaushal,

I had the same problem as yours. Unlike Australian immigration where self attested duties in an affidavit are accepted, unfortunately Canadian authorities do not accept the same.

Hence I took my supervisor in confidence and got a reference letter (on a plain paper without letter head) signed by him. Then I notarized the photocopy of the same and attached a cover letter explaining why I did not got the same on the letterhead. Simultaneously, I requested my HR Department to provide me an Employment Certificate (on letterhead) which mentioned my employment period, designation and current salary. I notarized the photocopy of the same and added in my application.

This is what I did. But, I am not an expert and I have just filed an application to CIC with the help of this forum. So, I cant be sure if this will work.

However, this was the best I could do. Rest I have to take the risk.

Hope this helps.

Kaushal187

Star Member
Sep 2, 2014
Thanks alot for the infomation...
Can I get a letter from a colleague and notarize it... Also I can send the copies of appointment letters and promotion letters... will it be enough ?

Please advice ....

happy-go-lucky

Star Member
Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO (transferred to WVO)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2014
Nomination.....
28-01-2015
AOR Received.
24-02-2015 (Warsaw)
File Transfer...
ECAS 2nd line update: Started processing: 10-04-2015
Med's Request
09-05-2015
Med's Done....
23-05-2015
Interview........
PCC/RPRF Reciept/ Updated POF sent on 29 May 2015. Received on 1 June, 2015. Third line update in ECAS on 2nd June, 2015
Passport Req..
06-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2015
LANDED..........
Feb 2015
Before my supervisor agreed to help me, even I was planning to ask a colleague to certify my job duties on plain/ stamp paper.

But fortunately, my supervisor was supportive. Or else, I was prepared to take a risk and go ahead with my colleague's reference letter. See, a lot depends on your case officer. What may work for someone may or may not work for

Also, what I am telling you is just my opinion, I have not recieved my PER yet. So I can't be sure what will work and what will not.

In addition to my appointment letter, I gave my sal slips, performance awards/ letters, increment letters, etc.

Hope this helps.

rakakatoofaan

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
What I did was asked my Supervisor to give me the letter. Then I took that letter and gave it to the HR, who then helped me with the reference letter.

Sincerely

Bigdream2020

Dec 5, 2019
I have submitted my notarised work experience letter from my current manager for OINP in August as my company does not issue it on the letter head. Now I have got ITA, so can I submit the same letter in ITA documents as it is 2+ months old? Or should I get the new one. However there is no change in my roles and responsibilities in these 2 months. Someone please answer

Max003

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
I have submitted my notarised work experience letter from my current manager for OINP in August as my company does not issue it on the letter head. Now I have got ITA, so can I submit the same letter in ITA documents as it is 2+ months old? Or should I get the new one. However there is no change in my roles and responsibilities in these 2 months. Someone please answer
I would suggest getting the most up to date letter for submission. Since you are still employed in the same company getting a new one wouldn't hurt. Also, try to get other documents as well to prove your experience that will save you from further concerns from the visa office at the later stage of your application.

1) Get a notarized letter mentioning all the reference letter details signed by your immediate supervisor/ HR/ Colleague (Which you have already)
2) Try to get your supervisors business card
3) Pay stubs, salary certificates, offer letter, and any other relevant documents proving you've worked for them
4) Last but not least, Email from HR that they don't have a letterhead for the company.