+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Queries about part-time job for international students

Mahir Samavi

Jul 25, 2017
Bangladesh
I want to study in Canada as an international student in Jan 2018 intake. I am confused between two cities: Winnipeg(Manitoba) and Windsor(Ontario). As I am from a middle class family, my family can only bear my first year tution fees and living expenses. I am going to do 2 years diploma course, so my second year's overall expenses are totally depending on me for which the part-time jobs are essential for me. The minimum wage rate of these cities are: Winnipeg=11CAD and Windsor=11.60CAD. And also the tax deduction from part-time job is more in Winnipeg. But I have heard that the unemployment rate is very high in windsor(which makes me very nervous).
As per rules, int. students are allowed to work for 20hours/week during classes and full time, during breaks. My plan is take rest for 1day a week and I will work for the rest of the 6 days(3hours/day) fro 36 weeks and during break time(16 weeks) I will work 13 hours per day. So my total hours of work per year will be 1968 hours and that will be enough for me.
I would like to know some info about Winsor's employment and unemployment from those who actually have these informations otherwise ignorant people don't make me confuse by replying unnecessarily(don't be offended please). Thanks in advance :) Eagerly waiting for your reply.

Reactions: elusiveadarsh

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Do not under estimate the cost of living any where in Canada as many students struggle to get by on part time income to pay tuition/living expenses especially in the bigger cities. Also whilst your plan is to work full time during breaks that could be a big assumption to flip from 3 hours a day to 13 hours a day, no way to predict such an opportunity will be available so have a backup plan.

Mahir Samavi

Jul 25, 2017
Bangladesh
Do not under estimate the cost of living any where in Canada as many students struggle to get by on part time income to pay tuition/living expenses especially in the bigger cities. Also whilst your plan is to work full time during breaks that could be a big assumption to flip from 3 hours a day to 13 hours a day, no way to predict such an opportunity will be available so have a backup plan.
As far I know, the living cost is 700$ per month in winnipeg and my tution fees is around 15000$ per year. So total living expense is 23000$ per year from which I need to earn alteast 20000$ gross income per year. Whether the job is under SIN or Cash jobs.

Last edited:

Hedayat

Star Member
Mar 28, 2017
Whats your profile mate? why dont you try University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, they just have 740$ continuing fees as 2nd year tuition. its cheaper than some colleges.

Mahir Samavi

Jul 25, 2017
Bangladesh
I have completed my A levels last Jan 2017. My target is to get the PR ASAP. If I apply to a University, then it will take 5/6 years to get me the PR. That's why I am applying to a college.

elusiveadarsh

Aug 10, 2017
I want to study in Canada as an international student in Jan 2018 intake. I am confused between two cities: Winnipeg(Manitoba) and Windsor(Ontario). As I am from a middle class family, my family can only bear my first year tution fees and living expenses. I am going to do 2 years diploma course, so my second year's overall expenses are totally depending on me for which the part-time jobs are essential for me. The minimum wage rate of these cities are: Winnipeg=11CAD and Windsor=11.60CAD. And also the tax deduction from part-time job is more in Winnipeg. But I have heard that the unemployment rate is very high in Windsor(which makes me very nervous).
As per rules, int. students are allowed to work for 20hours/week during classes and full-time, during breaks. My plan is taking rest for 1day a week and I will work for the rest of the 6 days(3hours/day) for 36 weeks and during break time(16 weeks) I will work 13 hours per day. So my total hours of work per year will be 1968 hours and that will be enough for me.
I would like to know some info about Winsor's employment and unemployment from those who actually have these informations otherwise ignorant people don't make me confuse by replying unnecessarily(don't be offended please). Thanks in advance :) Eagerly waiting for your reply.
Well, even I am planning to go for Jan intake 18. Did a research on this topic and got to know few facts:
Bigger cities = More opportunities
Cheap or smaller cities = Low cost of living but least part time jobs
City preferred = Toronto (Ontario province)
Part time availability = factory jobs (12hours shift - 125CAD)
Your expenses entirely depends on your lifestyle there = maximize savings
Transportation is best in bigger cities = Eg: Toronto
You will find good Asian population in Toronto = will help in case of adapting to the environment
College preferred by me: Centennial (giving 14 weeks internship) + Humber + George Brown
Preferred course = Project Management

contact me students going for Jan intake.
whatsapp 8955407429

Reactions: Asad Akram