+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec resident applying for Ontario license ?

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
Can a Canadian PR holder, resident of Quebec apply for an Ontario drivers license ?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
atzquebec said:
Can a Canadian PR holder, resident of Quebec apply for an Ontario drivers license ?
yes, i believe so. it is not required to prove residency, it is only required to prove your identity:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-g-drivers-licence-new-drivers

however, you can not hold a Quebec AND Ontario license at the same time. so if you currently have a Quebec license and you apply for an ontario one, they will take your Quebec license and it will be cancelled.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
yes, i believe so. it is not required to prove residency, it is only required to prove your identity:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-g-drivers-licence-new-drivers

however, you can not hold a Quebec AND Ontario license at the same time. so if you currently have a Quebec license and you apply for an ontario one, they will take your Quebec license and it will be cancelled.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence
Thanks for the info. The waiting time for getting Quebec license is minimum 13 months, which is way too long, hence its better to get the Ontario one converted.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
atzquebec said:
Thanks for the info. The waiting time for getting Quebec license is minimum 13 months, which is way too long, hence its better to get the Ontario one converted.
i'm a bit confused by what you mean it takes 13 months to get a license in Quebec. do you currently have driving experience from somewhere else and want to convert it to a canadian license? Or are you getting your first driver's license/can't prove driving experience?

If you do not currently have a license, and are getting your first license, there is a graduated system in Ontario, meaning you do not receive FULL license privileges at first. I'm assuming this is similar to what you are referring to in Quebec? The G1 license is like a practice license. It will take at least 8 months to get a full G2 license.

See here from the service ontario website:

Learning to drive: graduated licensing
Once you pass your eye and written tests, you get a G1 licence. Before you can get a full G licence, you have to:

finish two learning levels: G1 and G2.
pass two road tests
This process is called “graduated licensing.” It is designed to give new drivers time to practice and gain driving experience over time.

You have up to five years to finish the whole process. After five years, if you do not get your full G licence, you will need to start over.

G1 licence
By law, when you have a G1 licence, you must:

maintain a zero blood alcohol level (no alcohol in your blood)
make sure every passenger with you wears a properly working seatbelt
not drive between midnight and 5 a.m.
not drive on 400-series highways or high-speed expressways (e.g., 401, Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), Gardiner Expressway)
drive with a fully licensed driver who has:
at least four years of driving experience
a blood alcohol level of less than .05 (if this person is 21 and under, their blood alcohol level should be zero)
The driver accompanying you must be the only other person in the front seat. If you are driving with a driver instructor certified in Ontario, you can drive on any road.

In most cases, you practice with your G1 licence for 12 months.

G1 road test
The G1 road test is the first of two you need to take as a new driver.

you can take your first road test after 12 months with a G1 licence
this exam tests basic driving skills (e.g., turning left and right, stopping, parking)
once you pass, you get your G2 licence
If you finish an government-approved driver education course, you can take your first road test after just eight months.

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
i'm a bit confused by what you mean it takes 13 months to get a license in Quebec. do you currently have driving experience from somewhere else and want to convert it to a canadian license? Or are you getting your first driver's license/can't prove driving experience?

If you do not currently have a license, and are getting your first license, there is a graduated system in Ontario, meaning you do not receive FULL license privileges at first. I'm assuming this is similar to what you are referring to in Quebec? The G1 license is like a practice license. It will take at least 8 months to get a full G2 license.

See here from the service ontario website:

Learning to drive: graduated licensing
Once you pass your eye and written tests, you get a G1 licence. Before you can get a full G licence, you have to:

finish two learning levels: G1 and G2.
pass two road tests
This process is called “graduated licensing.” It is designed to give new drivers time to practice and gain driving experience over time.

You have up to five years to finish the whole process. After five years, if you do not get your full G licence, you will need to start over.

G1 licence
By law, when you have a G1 licence, you must:

maintain a zero blood alcohol level (no alcohol in your blood)
make sure every passenger with you wears a properly working seatbelt
not drive between midnight and 5 a.m.
not drive on 400-series highways or high-speed expressways (e.g., 401, Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), Gardiner Expressway)
drive with a fully licensed driver who has:
at least four years of driving experience
a blood alcohol level of less than .05 (if this person is 21 and under, their blood alcohol level should be zero)
The driver accompanying you must be the only other person in the front seat. If you are driving with a driver instructor certified in Ontario, you can drive on any road.

In most cases, you practice with your G1 licence for 12 months.

G1 road test
The G1 road test is the first of two you need to take as a new driver.

you can take your first road test after 12 months with a G1 licence
this exam tests basic driving skills (e.g., turning left and right, stopping, parking)
once you pass, you get your G2 licence
If you finish an government-approved driver education course, you can take your first road test after just eight months.
I have read online that with an 24 months+ experience letter from your home country gets you a G1 license automatically without taking the road test for the same. After get this G1 license, we can go for road test directly without any waiting time, apart from the normal test date waiting time ?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
atzquebec said:
I have read online that with an 24 months+ experience letter from your home country gets you a G1 license automatically without taking the road test for the same. After get this G1 license, we can go for road test directly without any waiting time, apart from the normal test date waiting time ?
yes, though it depends on which country is your home country. canada doesn't reciprocate licenses for every country. you will need to check the website to see if your home country qualifies. if your country qualifies then you need either a non-expired license that shows you've been driving for 2 years or an experience letter from the agency that handles vehicle registries.

adriferr

Aug 17, 2017
Note that I just spent the morning at the Ottawa DriveTest centre (1570 Walkley), but it turns out that you do need to be an Ontario resident. They would not let me go start the process because my address was in QC.

So, you need an Ontario address. Now, if you choose to get a mailbox in Ontario, I suppose no one can stop you.

PS: The agent there did say that it's "easier" in QC anyway. Not sure how true that is

Reactions: atzquebec