Quebec, more than 183 days absence

CyberHawk

Oct 31, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
I have a problem.
I landed at the end of 2007, did all my papers as required, received my PR card and subscribed fro my medical card, then after 2 months I left back to my country of origin to finish up my obligations there.
During my stay there I encountered family problems (sickness of parents) that forced me to stay more than those 183 days (about 210 days total).
Five months ago the Quebec Regie de l'assurance maladie sent me a questionnaire asking when I was absent from Quebec, and I with all honesty answered that I was absent more than 183 days in the first 12 months, because of my family reasons.
Today I received a letter from them stating that because of my absence back then, I don't have the right for the public health care plan and that I "did not establish residence in Quebec" (while I physically leave in Quebec for the last 3 years and so) and that I need to return them my medical card.
I've applied for citizenship 3 months ago, will it be affected???
What should I do?
Please advise. Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your citizenship should not be affected but you should go to RAMQ and ask them if you can apply for the health card again. Surely, even if you had lost it 3 years ago, you would have qualified to get it again 3 months later.

CyberHawk

Oct 31, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you very, very, really very much!!
I was afraid that because of this mistake I would lose absolutely everything, including my residence and citizenship.
If all there is to it is that I have to re-apply for my health insurance then I'll do just that.
Although I feel strange knowing that I actually lived for 3.5 years in Quebec without being insured.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah, go and talk to them. Surely it was your mistake not to notify them that you spent more than 183 days outside but you didn't know about that. If you had told them, you would have qualified to apply for RAMQ again after doing the 3 month waiting period again and it seems a bit too late to take it away from you now. Maybe they will want you to do the 3 month waiting period now, who knows. I am sure they will not condemn you to life without health care forever.

You really do not have anything to worry about with your PR or citizenship. Immigration is a completely different entity than RAMQ. Immigration is federal and RAMQ is provincial. You could move from province to province and never qualify for health care anywhere if you never stay long enough but you would still be living in Canada, would still keep your PR and would still get citizenship.

CyberHawk

Oct 31, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I went there and explained what happened.
They were nice, though they said I really have to re-apply, but since I am on wellfare there is no need for me to wait those 3 months.
So I am now secured and will receive my new card in 2 weeks.
But to be honest, knowing that I lived here for 3 years and so in Quebec without being actually insured makes me feel how damn lucky I was not to need any medical attention during this period.
Thank you again for your kind response. :)

shekhawatmx

Star Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dubai UAE
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22 May 2009
File Transfer...
16 june 2009 from CIO
Med's Request
26 aug 2009
Med's Done....
8 oct 2009 at mumbai INDIA
Passport Req..
17 feb 2010 by email
VISA ISSUED...
22 march 2010 got pp back on 29 march 2010
LANDED..........
20 Aug 2010
hi
did u used any of medical services in those 3 years and if yes then did RAMQ asked you to pay for them??
how you renewed the Medi card when you were out of Canada?
basically im in similar situations and i have to stay out of qubec for more then 183 days in first 12 months.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you know about it, it is better to clear it up with RAMQ right away. They may give you a special permit to stay away longer if you have a good reason. I know OHIP has something like that.

If you don't tell them and they find out, what could happen is that you lose your coverage and only find out about it after you have for example broken a bone and it turns out that you do not have coverage. That or they pay for it, then find out later that you shouldn't have had coverage and back charge you.

Also, even they say you will be losing your coverage and will have to do the waiting period again, you would be able to prepare for it by getting emergency insurance for your waiting period.

grvsngh

Sep 29, 2014
Hi,

In a similar situation. Got PR and landed in Quebec in May 2017. Got RAMQ health card, and also used it a couple of times in august 2017.
In Sep 2017, move to Ontario to study. So did not complete the 183 day period in the first year and moved to another province. Applied for OHIP there and got it.

Question- Will not staying in Quebec for the mandatory 183 days in Quebec in the firat year cause any issues with RAMQ. Is there any ground for them to retroactively cancel health card and ask to refund for medical services used?

Thanks!

vannguyen22

Nov 13, 2018
Hi,

In a similar situation. Got PR and landed in Quebec in May 2017. Got RAMQ health card, and also used it a couple of times in august 2017.
In Sep 2017, move to Ontario to study. So did not complete the 183 day period in the first year and moved to another province. Applied for OHIP there and got it.

Question- Will not staying in Quebec for the mandatory 183 days in Quebec in the firat year cause any issues with RAMQ. Is there any ground for them to retroactively cancel health card and ask to refund for medical services used?

Thanks!
Hi there,
I’m in the same situation as you. Did you get any answer for your question? I actually gave birth during my waiting period for the health card. so I would like to know if they will ask me refund for the service I had at that time for not staying for the mandatory 183 days.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,
I’m in the same situation as you. Did you get any answer for your question? I actually gave birth during my waiting period for the health card. so I would like to know if they will ask me refund for the service I had at that time for not staying for the mandatory 183 days.
Nobody can predict who provinces will pursue for reimbursement. Arriving in a province that provides health coverage for pregnancy/delivery right away and then moving is something they are looking out for. If you moved to Quebec to get the immediate health coverage for your delivery with no plans to remain in Quebec you are taking the risk that you will potentially have to reimburse the government.

vannguyen22

Nov 13, 2018
Nobody can predict who provinces will pursue for reimbursement. Arriving in a province that provides health coverage for pregnancy/delivery right away and then moving is something they are looking out for. If you moved to Quebec to get the immediate health coverage for your delivery with no plans to remain in Quebec you are taking the risk that you will potentially have to reimburse the government.
I have lived and worked in Quebec for 6 years before giving birth to my son. I was in the waiting period for health card because my status changed from work permit to permanent residence. And the reason why I had to leave Quebec after my delivery was because I couldn't manage to take care of the baby alone so I had to bring him to my hometown to get help from my family. Now when the baby is older that we can go back together to Quebec. Hope that the ramq agent will look at the matter differently than you.

Last edited: