+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Immigration - Is French Mandatory

daffodils05

Jun 16, 2010
Hello,
I sent my initial application as a FSW under 0213 NOC on 24th June, and obviously my application wouldn't be considered any more.

I need suggestion regarding QSW. Do I need to send a proof of French language with CSQ. My French knowledge is nil, but I'll start French classes in Oct. I go through the evaluation process, and I qualify even if I select French level 1-2. Learn French and go through TEF will took around 5 or 6 months, and rules can suddenly changes so I don't want to loose this opportunity.
Can anyone suggest me what to do?

god0fwar

Star Member
Apr 25, 2010
i'm planning to file my application as i passed the online assessment.

can i submit my application even without proof of french (TEF, etc...)? will my application still be processed (that is Quebec would just request my proof of french later on the application processing)?

merci!

Shahi

Champion Member
Oct 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-04-2010
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
15-02-2011 CSQ
AOR Received.
25-05-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with Initial Application
File Transfer...
25-02-2011
Med's Request
13-03-2011
Med's Done....
14-03-2011
Interview........
NR
Passport Req..
13-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2011
LANDED..........
30-05-2011
@ doffodil and Godofwar

Guys ur right..rules can change anytime...just send the application and learn some french in the meanwhile..i guess that is a wiser option..Good Luck

Shahi

daffodils05

Jun 16, 2010
Thanks shahi,

one more questions......
My points for QSW is 60 without French knowledge, and I am planning to apply within next few days. I'll start French course in Oct.
What level I'll need to show in interview(do I need TEF or any other test results with me as a proof) or language skills in speaking /understanding is fine.

I read somewhere that at least overall 7 is required regardless of total QWS points.

Shahi

Champion Member
Oct 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-04-2010
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
15-02-2011 CSQ
AOR Received.
25-05-2010
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
25-02-2011
Med's Request
13-03-2011
Med's Done....
14-03-2011
Interview........
NR
Passport Req..
13-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2011
LANDED..........
30-05-2011
hey daffodil.. Just attach a slip of fr course u have or will join.. N update wen u finish.. TEF n DELF r acceptéd..

Malmo

Star Member
May 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2010
GodOfWar:
I was told to attach it.

Malmo

JohnBenjamin

Jul 6, 2010
Yes, French is mandatory. No French, no QUES visa. I thought Bill 101 made French the sole official language of Quebec. Is it English too?

Malmo

Star Member
May 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2010
GodofWar:
I applied via CampbellCohen visa office. In my application I also photocopied my primary school diploma and high school diploma where 5 years of French classes (total) were shown.

Malmo

mtlguy

Star Member
Oct 23, 2009
Montreal Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've said this once before and i'm gonna say it once again...only for the sake of CSQ applicants to provide them with some hope and support.

I am from India and I do not speak a single word of French. If i managed to get a Canadian PR through the CSQ program, so can you, if you have filled in the online assessment through the govt of quebec website truthfully and have received a positive response.

Things that went in favor of me:
1. I am an aerospace engineer (US degree and work exp). Aerospace is once of the occupations in demand in Quebec.
2. My wife has an MBA from USA as well. Once again, my wife being a professional helped me secure some extra points
3. I received a CSQ interview waiver. Both my wife and I enrolled for the french course at the adult education center and simple mailed a photocopy of the registration along with the CSQ application and supporting documents.

Bottom line, if you fill in the information truthfully in the govt of Quebec website and receive a positive response, whether or not you know french, I recommend going ahead with the process and enrolling for french lessons in the mean time.

I have known few applicants from India who developed basic french skills by the time they received their interview call. They all got their CSQ's.

Govt of Quebec would like to see that you are interested in developing your french skills which in turn will help you to successfully integrate with the society in Quebec.

Word of caution:

1. Unless you are in aerospace or couple of other industries where there is severe labor shortage, one cannot find a job even at Mc Donald's or as a night watchman without knowing french.

2. I live in an English speaking neighborhood in Montreal. I can get away without speaking any french. If you end up in any other city, french is a must to sustain.

I am not here to argue with senior board members or anyone else...but yeah, you can get your CSQ without french as i did...maybe I was lucky but u could be lucky as well. I am writing this only to motivate and support fellow applicants and provide honest information regarding my success story.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Shahi

Champion Member
Oct 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-04-2010
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
15-02-2011 CSQ
AOR Received.
25-05-2010
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
25-02-2011
Med's Request
13-03-2011
Med's Done....
14-03-2011
Interview........
NR
Passport Req..
13-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2011
LANDED..........
30-05-2011
@mtlguy...thanks. well written and explained for everyone...Shahi

Mal

Apr 20, 2010
If you have perfect English and zero French but super experience and US degree is most likely that you have to convince the Quebec immigration that you will not move from Quebec to any other part of Canada. Great degrees and jobs required great communication skills.He most important for them is-you will find job on demanding list or not.

KAMMAR

Star Member
Jun 27, 2010
Malmo:

You didn't tell when did you receive a request for the French certificate?
I missed the federal process because my NOC is removed and I'm planning to apply for Quebiq asap. My spouse education were in French for more than 11 years. Should she send a certificate of her french language or just attach a certificate from her French school.

btw, I don't know any French, could we still apply to Quebiq using my spouse as main applicant?

Thanks,
-k

Malmo

Star Member
May 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2010
I was told by my visa office to copy my certificates when I logged my application. I also had to write one letter wherein I had to describe my French abilities in English. So In the letter I wrote how and why I spoke French, where and why I got interested in learning French, how well I spoke it. Whether I spoke it nowadays etc.

Malmo

BlueRobin

Feb 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-06-2010
Med's Request
23-09-2010
Med's Done....
20-10-2010
Passport Req..
11-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
02-08-2011
@mtlguy Excellent post.

However a word of caution to others. @mtlguy is in a very specialized occupation and he lives in an English speaking neighbourhood. So getting a CSQ without speaking a word of French or demonstrating a willingness to learn French is an exception rather than the rule. In this case, probably his occupation was the deciding factor.

However if you are in any other profession or going to look for a job on your own, then without knowing French, it will be all but impossible to find a job. Beyond the job, one also needs to socialize, go to movies, go shopping, call government office, enroll kids in school. All of these are not possible without some level of French.

To give an example, there are people who live in US without any knowledge of English. But then, they never integrate with society as well.

I don't mean to sound offensive to anybody. But everybody should try their best to learn as much French as possible.