+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Immigration - Is French Mandatory

bobine

May 5, 2008
thank you all for your postings!
this forum is rich of all kind of people trying with the best of their knowledge to help
put some light in all our queries.
so let don't confuse one another.
french: mandatory or not?
what i see is that french is not mandatory but it's going to be very difficut for someone
with no command of french to make it in quebec, for that reason the authorities have put
in place a systeme of learning french to help people integrate.

go read it here:
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.html

AlbertaCitizen

Star Member
Apr 11, 2009
bobine said:
this forum is rich of all kind of people trying with the best of their knowledge to help
what i see is that french is not mandatory but it's going to be very difficut for someone
with no command of french to make it in quebec, for that reason the authorities have put

go read it here:
This is true. In quebec, If No french then no Visa

CometoAlberta

Mar 24, 2009
Do you have any references for your conclusions ?

AlbertaCitizen said:
bobine said:

go read it here:
This is true. In quebec, If No french then no Visa

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
but its like saying, you can qualify to immigrate even without a college degree. technically, yes. but in all likelihood, u will need a degree to get approved. Same with the french capability.

CometoAlberta said:
Please, please show me any link which says "French is a must".

no such rule, for people who is not good at knowing these stuffs, please DON'T mislead those people. you should note that in Quebec, there are still lots of job which only use ENGLISH, for example , a researcher in a university.

people always make conclusions without any study

rascojenkins said:
CometoAlberta said:
for people with statistics/bio-statistic degree,it's pretty easy even you get 0 point in the interview. do more study please. check their immigration law word by word.

Leon said:
CometoAlberta said:
Please don't mislead people, no such words saying that "French is mandatory". however, if you know French, you may get more points and you can do better when interview.

I suggest people who pass the score point and who know English well but don't know French could apply for this program, and during the processing time, he/she can learn some French so that during the interview, he/she can get some points.
Ok, if you want to apply for the Quebec skilled worker without knowing any French, by all means do it and make sure to come back and tell us how it went. Good luck.
French is a requirement for Quebec.

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
also, if u r a superstar, super genius, or diplomat, then you have no need for message boards like these. they easily get approved.

we are referring to regular people here wanting to immigrate.

CometoAlberta said:
Because your friend doesn't have "super experience" and "couple of master degrees". it doesn't mean "French is a must". all because your friend's application is too weak. what i want to tell you is that some of my friends who have couple master degrees and they pass the point line without knowing any French. they also have five year U.S work experiences and a short stay in Quebec.

if you won Nobel prize, do you think Quebec will reject you because you don't know French? LOL

rascojenkins said:
CometoAlberta said:
Please, please show me any link which says "French is a must".

no such rule, for people who is not good at knowing these stuffs, please DON'T mislead those people. you should note that in Quebec, there are still lots of job which only use ENGLISH, for example , a researcher in a university.

people always make conclusions without any study

rascojenkins said:
CometoAlberta said:
for people with statistics/bio-statistic degree,it's pretty easy even you get 0 point in the interview. do more study please. check their immigration law word by word.

Leon said:
CometoAlberta said:
Please don't mislead people, no such words saying that "French is mandatory". however, if you know French, you may get more points and you can do better when interview.

I suggest people who pass the score point and who know English well but don't know French could apply for this program, and during the processing time, he/she can learn some French so that during the interview, he/she can get some points.
Ok, if you want to apply for the Quebec skilled worker without knowing any French, by all means do it and make sure to come back and tell us how it went. Good luck.
French is a requirement for Quebec.
What do you mean Misleading? If you do not hava a level of French you'll be turned down. My Friend was turned down Just for that.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
CometoAlberta said:

This just implies that French is mandatory before going to Quebec but not at the time of application. It is not as if one can get Quebec PR without knowing French. Thats how most people will read your post.

By the way, I just went and filled in the online evaluation. I filled in everything based on what I think is good for Quebec except I said no French and I got the following message

"In light of the information that you have submitted, it seems that you do not meet Québec's selection criteria. It is not recommended that you submit an Application for a Selection Certificate.

We thank you for your interest in Québec."

Then again, what I think is good for Quebec might not necessarily what they want.

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
one can still get go to Quebec without knowing french. what are the chances?

rupeshhari said:
CometoAlberta said:

This just implies that French is mandatory before going to Quebec but not at the time of application. It is not as if one can get Quebec PR without knowing French. Thats how most people will read your post.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
poissonmagique said:
oh i have no idea. I was basing my reply on someone else's message. Personally, i believe zero chance for mere mortals without knowing french. Actually, I have 2 masters (one from one of the best uni in the US) and a phd soon, and i believe i have zero chance for CSQ as is.
Maybe my chance improves if i get a job there. But getting job there without knowing french would be hard, unless i apply to teach at concordia or mcgill.

I don't think people should waste their money applying without knowing french unless they have something special that they know, which we don't.

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
why are u considering going to Quebec, as opposed to the other provinces?

rupeshhari said:
poissonmagique said:
oh i have no idea. I was basing my reply on someone else's message. Personally, i believe zero chance for mere mortals without knowing french. Actually, I have 2 masters (one from one of the best uni in the US) and a phd soon, and i believe i have zero chance for CSQ as is.
Maybe my chance improves if i get a job there. But getting job there without knowing french would be hard, unless i apply to teach at concordia or mcgill.

I don't think people should waste their money applying without knowing french unless they have something special that they know, which we don't.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
oh i am not. i wanted to answer to this question regarding knowing french or not.
I want to go to BC, unless you can get me a job at mcgill or concordia.

Anyway, my FSW is far from conclusion. I am pretty sure to be rejected but even with that, I won't apply for Quebec without knowing french.

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok. why did u choose BC, over the other provinces?

rupeshhari said:
oh i am not. i wanted to answer to this question regarding knowing french or not.

Anyway, my FSW is far from conclusion. I am pretty sure to be rejected but even with that, I won't apply for Quebec without knowing french.

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oh ok. just wondering, why did u choose BC, over the other provinces?

also, what do u mean by 'im sure to be rejected'? why?

rupeshhari said:

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Ah, we are taking over this thread on another topic (sorry Tarun).
BC because of the weather, its beautiful and vancouver specifically because it is one of the best cities in the world to live in. Now, best city to live in depends on individual needs. For some Timbuktu might be better to live in than Vancouver, but based on my needs like a good university nearby, pretty city, good weather, low crime, descent lifestyle, etc, Vancouver wins.

Even though Vancouver is nice, I wouldn't mind ending up in Toronto or Montreal. Both have a subway (which is a major plus for me). Toronto is really diverse. Montreal will allow me to experience another culture and living in a different language setting. Where do you plan to live in Canada.

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yes, excuse us Tarun, but this seems an important tangent.

as for ur question, I really do not know yet. Vancouver looks great, but I understand its the most expensive Canadian city to live in. is it true? if yes(and on a budget), it might be a tough place to start out.

wat u mean by 'timbuktu might be better to live in'?

rupeshhari said:
Ah, we are taking over this thread on another topic (sorry Tarun).
BC because of the weather, its beautiful and vancouver specifically because it is one of the best cities in the world to live in. Now, best city to live in depends on individual needs. For some Timbuktu might be better to live in than Vancouver, but based on my needs like a good university nearby, pretty city, good weather, low crime, descent lifestyle, etc, Vancouver wins.

Even though Vancouver is nice, I wouldn't mind ending up in Toronto or Montreal. Both have a subway (which is a major plus for me). Toronto is really diverse. Montreal will allow me to experience another culture and living in a different language setting. Where do you plan to live in Canada.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Timbuktu is a famous city in Africa. It is in the desert so most people would think it is not the best place to live. I was trying to give an example where there maybe people who would rather live in Timbuktu than in Vancouver, but I am not one of them.

Yes, it is expensive but I seriously don't see myself moving to Canada without a job upfront. The only way I would do that is if I can't get a job anywhere and I need to go somewhere to go look for a job, then if i have a PR , i might go to canada and look for a job. Otherwise, I am hoping to get a job before moving to canada even if it means working in the US first. Finding a job in canada is a bit easier for academics going to one of the bigger universities.