+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QCS - Quebec Selected Immigrants landing elsewhere

lak09

Sep 1, 2012
As a Quebec Selected Immigrant, am i required to LAND and SETTLE in Quebec?

What are the consequences if I land in another province? Would I be denied entry?
What are the consequences if I land in Quebec, but shortly after decide to move to another province? Can my residency be revoked?

I would appreciate it if you can point an official document/link that clarify this matter.

Many thanks in advance for you reply

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you land in another province without a ticket taking you to Quebec, you will be asked if it is still your intention to settle in Quebec as per the conditions of your PR application. If you say no, you may not be granted you PR. If you say yes but they aren't sure about you, they may withhold your PR card and arrange for you to have an interview with Quebec immigration before they will release it. I know of someone having written here who that happened to.

The only thing I know of in writing is this bulletin: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob251.asp which actually has to do with PNP but that is a similar issue.

If you land in Quebec but move soon after, it is possible that nothing will happen to you. There are no concrete rules. It used to be that they did not even go after people who landed elsewhere and now they do so it is possible in the future that they will start going after people who left early. Keep in mind that in order to keep your PR safe, you should at least make it look like you intended to settle in Quebec at the time you landed.

lak09

Sep 1, 2012
Leon said:
If you land in another province without a ticket taking you to Quebec, you will be asked if it is still your intention to settle in Quebec as per the conditions of your PR application. If you say no, you may not be granted you PR. If you say yes but they aren't sure about you, they may withhold your PR card and arrange for you to have an interview with Quebec immigration before they will release it. I know of someone having written here who that happened to.

The only thing I know of in writing is this bulletin: *** which actually has to do with PNP but that is a similar issue.

If you land in Quebec but move soon after, it is possible that nothing will happen to you. There are no concrete rules. It used to be that they did not even go after people who landed elsewhere and now they do so it is possible in the future that they will start going after people who left early. Keep in mind that in order to keep your PR safe, you should at least make it look like you intended to settle in Quebec at the time you landed.
Many many thanks for your reply Leon!
Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Quebec it is then! I will plan accordingly.

So QSW are considered as PN (selected by Quebec) ?

Would you happen to know what are the regulations regarding receiving your PR beyond the POE?
Can I land in Quebec, and receive PR (From Quebec) in another province?
How about if i need to receive it outside Canada?
Same rules apply to SIN?

Many thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lak09 said:
So QSW are considered as PN (selected by Quebec) ?

Would you happen to know what are the regulations regarding receiving your PR beyond the POE?
Can I land in Quebec, and receive PR (From Quebec) in another province?
How about if i need to receive it outside Canada?
Same rules apply to SIN?
The Quebec program is not actually considered a PNP but they seem to have the same policies that if you were selected by some province, you should at least land in that province.

When you land and they ask you for an address to mail your PR card to, you should either give a Quebec address or no address at all. If you do not give an address, immigration will withhold your PR card until you do. I do not believe it is a good idea to land and a week later notify immigration that they should mail your PR card to an address in Canada that is not in Quebec. It would clearly show that you did not have the intention to settle there when you landed. Immigration will definitely not mail your PR card to an address outside Canada.

It would be a better idea for you to go to UPS once you get to Quebec and ask them if you can get a UPS address. This is like a P.O. Box with UPS that actually looks like a street address. You can ask them to forward your mail to you where you live, even overseas. You can notify immigration once you have secured the address that this is the address you want your PR card mailed to. You can find UPS here: http://theupsstore.ca/find-the-ups-store.html

If you are staying in Canada for a couple of days after your landing, you can go to any Service Canada, apply for your SIN and get the number instantly and the SIN card in the mail. You can of course have it sent to your UPS address too. Here is how to apply for your SIN: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/how.shtml

Your SIN will start with the digit 2 or 3 which will always show that it was originally issued in Quebec. This will support your claim later if anybody asks that you fully intended to settle in Quebec when you landed. Your SIN is of course valid in every province.