+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD

Kaayenaat

Sep 17, 2017
hi
Can anyone plz tell what is actually written on PRTD ?
Immigrant or permanent resident or anything else
N whats d validity period?

R

rish888

PRTD is just a visa counterfoil to facilitate getting on commercial transport to Canada.

It has different codes, R-1, RC-1, RX-1, depending on the circumstances surrounding the issuance of the document.

The validity is until the expiry date mentioned on the visa counterfoil. The embassy determines how long it will be valid for and there are no fixed guidelines.

p.s. The PRTD is only valid for one entry (unless exceptional circumstances) so once in Canada you should not leave until you have your PR card in hand, or you will have to got though the whole process all over again.

Mumbai_Indians

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016
PRTD is just a visa counterfoil to facilitate getting on commercial transport to Canada.

It has different codes, R-1, RC-1, RX-1, depending on the circumstances surrounding the issuance of the document.

The validity is until the expiry date mentioned on the visa counterfoil. The embassy determines how long it will be valid for and there are no fixed guidelines.

p.s. The PRTD is only valid for one entry (unless exceptional circumstances) so once in Canada you should not leave until you have your PR card in hand, or you will have to got though the whole process all over again.
Hi,

We are going to do a short landing in Canada in a month's time. But we need to come back to India in 2 weeks' time once landed there. We will give our uncle's Canada address for IRCC to mail our PR cards. Now, my question is: once back, can I apply for PRTD once my PR cards are received by my uncle at his address in Canada? Or, do I have to necessarily apply for PRTD before PR cards are issued?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi,

We are going to do a short landing in Canada in a month's time. But we need to come back to India in 2 weeks' time once landed there. We will give our uncle's Canada address for IRCC to mail our PR cards. Now, my question is: once back, can I apply for PRTD once my PR cards are received by my uncle at his address in Canada? Or, do I have to necessarily apply for PRTD before PR cards are issued?
So any reason why your uncle cannot mail your cards to you in India which would be a couple months after you land initially. Or are you planning to come back to Canada before then in which case you will need to apply for a PRTD.

Whether the cards have been issued or not is not relevant given when outside Canada without cards you have no option but to apply for PRTD to be able to board a plane.

Reactions: Mumbai_Indians

Mumbai_Indians

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016
So any reason why your uncle cannot mail your cards to you in India which would be a couple months after you land initially. Or are you planning to come back to Canada before then in which case you will need to apply for a PRTD.

Whether the cards have been issued or not is not relevant given when outside Canada without cards you have no option but to apply for PRTD to be able to board a plane.
Thanks for the reply!

The only reason (I feel) for having to apply PRTD (instead of getting it mailed / couriered) is that I have heard mailing PR cards to outside Canada could run the risk of seizure by customs / Govt. The other option, I am thinking of, is: ask a friend / relative to carry our PR cards to them when and if they are travelling to India from Canada. So, how does this (having friend / relative carry our PR cards) option sound?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks for the reply!

The only reason (I feel) for having to apply PRTD (instead of getting it mailed / couriered) is that I have heard mailing PR cards to outside Canada could run the risk of seizure by customs / Govt. The other option, I am thinking of, is: ask a friend / relative to carry our PR cards to them when and if they are travelling to India from Canada. So, how does this (having friend / relative carry our PR cards) option sound?
Well it is not illegal to mail or courier cards outside of Canada just immigration will not do it so if there is any seizure going on then likely the receiving country for what reason who knows. Many people use this option and there would be many more posts here regarding seizures but only takes one I guess to start a rumour.

Not a problem for a friend to bring them but in the end all about timing I guess so if you feel more comfortable applying for a PRTD do that taking into account how long it may take to get approved before you need it.

Reactions: Mumbai_Indians

Mumbai_Indians

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016
Well it is not illegal to mail or courier cards outside of Canada just immigration will not do it so if there is any seizure going on then likely the receiving country for what reason who knows. Many people use this option and there would be many more posts here regarding seizures but only takes one I guess to start a rumour.

Not a problem for a friend to bring them but in the end all about timing I guess so if you feel more comfortable applying for a PRTD do that taking into account how long it may take to get approved before you need it.
Thanks for your reply! Really appreciate it!

hh645720

Dec 11, 2017

Is there any info about marital status on PRTD?

I just landed yesterday and waiting for my PR card. Currently I am in Canada, and my current marital status is engaged.

I am going back home for 1 month. I am planning to do application on Jan 10, 2018. There is a question in application form asking for marital status so I will be choosing Engaged.

I am getting married on Jan 15, 2018.

Does it matter if marital status changed after you applied for PRTD and before you get the PRTD?

Is there any written info on PRTD document about marital status?

Thanks in advance.

ekramece

Star Member
May 17, 2017
Is there any info about marital status on PRTD?

I just landed yesterday and waiting for my PR card. Currently I am in Canada, and my current marital status is engaged.

I am going back home for 1 month. I am planning to do application on Jan 10, 2018. There is a question in application form asking for marital status so I will be choosing Engaged.

I am getting married on Jan 15, 2018.

Does it matter if marital status changed after you applied for PRTD and before you get the PRTD?

Is there any written info on PRTD document about marital status?

Thanks in advance.
PRTD visa has nothing to do with marriage/engagement. It is per individual, so only you are bound to it. It will say as visa type- permanent resident.

sanddip

Star Member
Dec 21, 2015
London, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2016
Nomination.....
23-09-2016
AOR Received.
23-01-2017
Med's Request
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
01-03-2017
Passport Req..
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Anyone have any format for letter of justification why we need PRTD? do we need to give that with our application?

ekramece

Star Member
May 17, 2017
Anyone have any format for letter of justification why we need PRTD? do we need to give that with our application?
Justification letter is not mandatory. Only COPR copy along with SIN number is required. However, i added a justification letter(aka cover letter) just in case. Below is the format i used. I got PRTD in 10 days, with 2 years validity and Multiple entry.

Respected Sir/Madam,

I would like to bring to your attention regarding my circumstances leading to this PRTD (Permanent resident travel document) Application.

On 15-November-2017, I landed in Toronto for and became Permanent resident. My Permanent resident card is in process and as per the timeline, it may take 2 months for me to receive it. Meanwhile, I had to travel to my home country India to wind up things. I have to move back to Canada on 18-December-2017 for employment. In this regard, I am applying for PRTD (Permanent resident travel document). I have attached the COPR for your reference.

Should you need any clarifications or more information, I will be glad to provide.

Yours faithfully,​

Reactions: Tonex_E and sanddip

sanddip

Star Member
Dec 21, 2015
London, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2016
Nomination.....
23-09-2016
AOR Received.
23-01-2017
Med's Request
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
01-03-2017
Passport Req..
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Justification letter is not mandatory. Only COPR copy along with SIN number is required. However, i added a justification letter(aka cover letter) just in case. Below is the format i used. I got PRTD in 10 days, with 2 years validity and Multiple entry.

Respected Sir/Madam,

I would like to bring to your attention regarding my circumstances leading to this PRTD (Permanent resident travel document) Application.

On 15-November-2017, I landed in Toronto for and became Permanent resident. My Permanent resident card is in process and as per the timeline, it may take 2 months for me to receive it. Meanwhile, I had to travel to my home country India to wind up things. I have to move back to Canada on 18-December-2017 for employment. In this regard, I am applying for PRTD (Permanent resident travel document). I have attached the COPR for your reference.

Should you need any clarifications or more information, I will be glad to provide.

Yours faithfully,​
Awesome man. Thanks a lot for this. really appreciate... looks like we are in same boat :) I landed on 17th November and came back to UK and now I want to go back for job interview so looking for PRTD.
Thanks again.