+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD from USA without PR Card

Rhaineechan

Sep 20, 2017
Hello everyone!

I am a new immigrant here in Canada, been here for almost 3 mos. and have not received my PR card yet for they required me to send them my new photos. these photos were delivered to them last end of Aug.

Me and my family are booked for a flight to US this first week of Oct. for 10 days to attend a wedding and I don't think that my PR card will be available by then, so my option is to apply for a PRTD.

Is there anybody here who have the same problem as mine?
how long can they process a PRTD in US?

need your expert advise.
thanks in advance.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hello everyone!

I am a new immigrant here in Canada, been here for almost 3 mos. and have not received my PR card yet for they required me to send them my new photos. these photos were delivered to them last end of Aug.

Me and my family are booked for a flight to US this first week of Oct. for 10 days to attend a wedding and I don't think that my PR card will be available by then, so my option is to apply for a PRTD.

Is there anybody here who have the same problem as mine?
how long can they process a PRTD in US?

need your expert advise.
thanks in advance.
I don't know the processing time of PRTDs in the US. However, to avoid the hassle of that application, have you considered to:
- Book a flight to a US city close to your home (e.g. Buffalo instead of Toronto, Seattle instead of Vancouver etc)
- Rent a car
- Drive back home

Because in that case you are crossing the border in a private vehicle and don't need a PRTD. Your passports and CoPRs are enough.

Just wanted to point out that option to you, I hope someone else can chime in regarding the PRTD processing times.

Rhaineechan

Sep 20, 2017
I don't know the processing time of PRTDs in the US. However, to avoid the hassle of that application, have you considered to:
- Book a flight to a US city close to your home (e.g. Buffalo instead of Toronto, Seattle instead of Vancouver etc)
- Rent a car
- Drive back home

Because in that case you are crossing the border in a private vehicle and don't need a PRTD. Your passports and CoPRs are enough.

Just wanted to point out that option to you, I hope someone else can chime in regarding the PRTD processing times.

our last option now is to just cancel my trip or to risk my PRTD application there in US..

Rhaineechan

Sep 20, 2017
what are the instances where a PRTD application can be denied?
like in my case, i've been here in Canada for almost 3mos. only.. and will go out of the country just to attend a wedding.. will there be any RO issues there?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
what are the instances where a PRTD application can be denied?
like in my case, i've been here in Canada for almost 3mos. only.. and will go out of the country just to attend a wedding.. will there be any RO issues there?
No, it's been reported that if you apply for PRTDs within the first months of becoming a PR it is a pretty straightforward process. I would say it's really just a question of turnaround. Assuming that the wedding doesn't happen next door to a Canadian Consulate :) it's about mailing the forms to the consulate, them doing the paperwork and mailing it back to you.
The problem is that you can't send your application before you are in the US.

So yeah, there shouldn't be any issue with the application. 10 days might be possible, but I would assume it's cutting it close. And the question is: What do you do if the PRTD doesn't arrive in time.

Rhaineechan

Sep 20, 2017
No, it's been reported that if you apply for PRTDs within the first months of becoming a PR it is a pretty straightforward process. I would say it's really just a question of turnaround. Assuming that the wedding doesn't happen next door to a Canadian Consulate :) it's about mailing the forms to the consulate, them doing the paperwork and mailing it back to you.
The problem is that you can't send your application before you are in the US.

So yeah, there shouldn't be any issue with the application. 10 days might be possible, but I would assume it's cutting it close. And the question is: What do you do if the PRTD doesn't arrive in time.
good to know that it will be aprroved if applied.. and if it doesn't arrive in time, i guess i just need to rebook my ticket..