+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD Application Processing Delay-H&C

Discussion in 'Visa Offices in North America' started by akuaamankra, Sep 12, 2017.

  1. Hello,

    I'm writing because it's been over 35 business days and I haven't received an update from the Consulate General in New York about my application for a PR travel document on humanitarian and compassionate grounds. I checked the application tracker, and it still says "Application Received by the Visa Office - Under Consideration". When I called the VAC office, they said they couldn't provide me with further information. I also tried the number for the Consulate, but they explicitly said that they will NOT respond to any questions about applications that they received.

    Has anyone else applied for a PRTD on H&C at the Consulate General in New York? What was your timeline like for getting a decision?

    If needed, I can provide more details on my specific situation, but at this moment I just want to find out a general estimate of how long it takes them to make a decision in this case.
     
  2. Hi

    No one can really give you an estimate because you applied requesting H&C. Normal processing times don't apply and it is entirely a case-by-case basis.

    What are your H&C grounds?
     
  3. Yup I get this, which is why I wanted to find out other people's experiences. Hopefully with enough perspectives, I could get a general idea. Just trying to get enough data points to assess any trends or patterns #statistics :)

    I came to the US on a full ride scholarship to a prestigious university, and when I finished and wasn't finding jobs in Canada, I came back to the US on a student training visa. Unfortunately my job ran out of funding, so I will be laid off at the end of the month, and going back to Ghana where I'm a citizen isn't a good idea because I'm gay. I only met about 42 days of the residency requirement in Canada.

    By the way, I submitted an Express Entry profile a long while back just in case, and I just got invited to apply for permanent residency. Would it be worth trying to withdraw my PRTD application and my permanent residency, and just reapply? I have 85 more days to apply for the permanent residency, so quite some time. Could it realistically take them three more months to decide about the PRTD?
     

Share This Page