+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problems with work permit and public health service Quebec

yako

Jul 7, 2011
Hello all,

It's my first message so let me introduce myself. My name is Juan, now settled in Montreal, coming from Spain. I am a telecom engineer.

I have one important question, would be very grateful any advice or answer.

The facts are these. I arrived three months ago thanks to an open work permit as my common-law-partner started a Ph.D in Montreal, so she got a study permit.

Now I have found a job and want to be enrolled in the Public Quebec Medical System (Maladie). They are refusing my application as they say that for temporary workers, the name of the employer MUST be printed on the permit. They also say that as my permit is valid across Canada, is the only way that they can ensure that I am working in Quebec. They also refuse my job offer, rent contract or payrolls as proof of working here.

I have asked the immigration department of Canada and they have told me that I can't have the name of the current employer printed or linked to my file as my permit is "open" and will never have that information in it.

Anyone have had the same problem? Any idea of how can I solve it? I'm very disappointed because I pay the taxes here and paying an expensive private insurance and I can't also enroll the complementary insurance that my company offer as the first requirement is to be covered by the public health insurance.

Thank you very much in advance and best regards from the cold Montreal.
Juan M.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You could ask the employer to apply for an LMO for you so you can get a regular work permit which would be in your name and the employers and would prove that you are working there.

defenestration

Star Member
Jul 8, 2011
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2010
Doc's Request.
11-06-2011
AOR Received.
29-03-2011
Med's Request
31-05-2011
Med's Done....
04-07-2011
Passport Req..
23-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
07-09-2011
yako said:
The facts are these. I arrived three months ago thanks to an open work permit as my common-law-partner started a Ph.D in Montreal, so she got a study permit.

Now I have found a job and want to be enrolled in the Public Quebec Medical System (Maladie). They are refusing my application as they say that for temporary workers, the name of the employer MUST be printed on the permit. They also say that as my permit is valid across Canada, is the only way that they can ensure that I am working in Quebec. They also refuse my job offer, rent contract or payrolls as proof of working here.
I had a regular work permit in Montreal, and after my spouse arrived later on an open work permit, we went to RAMQ and they enrolled her. We had read on the web that people with open work permits shouldn't be eligible, but they enrolled her anyway. I don't know if there's a difference between the "principal" temporary resident having a work permit vs. study permit, or if we just got lucky and the RAMQ worker didn't know the rules...

Leon's suggestion may be the way to go.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It could also depend on the person you get when you go there. You could also ask to speak to their manager or even go higher up and write to the ministry of health. Ontario use to have similar rules. They didn't let anyone join unless they were on a work permit with an Ontario employer named on it but they changed their rules and relaxed it quite a bit.

yako

Jul 7, 2011
defenestration said:
I had a regular work permit in Montreal, and after my spouse arrived later on an open work permit, we went to RAMQ and they enrolled her. We had read on the web that people with open work permits shouldn't be eligible, but they enrolled her anyway. I don't know if there's a difference between the "principal" temporary resident having a work permit vs. study permit, or if we just got lucky and the RAMQ worker didn't know the rules...

Leon's suggestion may be the way to go.
The point here is that they don't mention any case related if the principal applicant is a student. Your case is an "standard" case and the common way to obtain the RAMQ

Leon said:
You could ask the employer to apply for an LMO for you so you can get a regular work permit which would be in your name and the employers and would prove that you are working there.
CIC told me that they can't ensure that, even doing that process, the name of the employer appears because of my previous status. And there's another problem here, because I'm living in Montreal, so I should go abroad to apply, I guess.

It's all so frustrating!

Thank you all for your replies!

fleur

May 10, 2012
Hi Yako

Did you finally find a solution to this problem? I am exactly in the same situation as you. We are in Quebec city - my husband is the principal applicant with study permit and I have an open work permit. I'm being told by RAMQ that I am not eligible. I would be very grateful if you reply to this note :)

yako

Jul 7, 2011
Sorry for the delay. Unfortunately "we" won't be covered. I claimed, but they refused again my request and I gave up (at least for now). If you obtain a different answer, please let me know...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You could both try talking to your respective MP's about the problem and see if they have any suggestions. You could offer solutions like issuing special health cards that only work in Quebec or issuing temporary health cards that are only valid for 6 months and you have to show again that you are working in Quebec in order to renew them.

Arthur123

Jul 12, 2012
yes there is much problem in getting work permit now. i hope your problem solve soon but i heard govt there is announcing easiness to gave wor permit to people. good luck

Keden

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 24, 2013
AOR Received.
Apr 9, 2013
Med's Request
Apr 15, 2013
Med's Done....
Apr 18, 2013
Passport Req..
Feb 27, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 27, 2014
LANDED..........
May 20, 2014
I think this must have something to do with the type of permit the Principal Applicant has i.e. student vs work.

My husband has a closed work permit and through that I obtained an open work permit. I walked into the RAMQ office and was able to apply for my RAMQ card with no hassle at all. There was no issue at all.

The only reason I can think why they wouldn't approve your application is because of the type of work permit the Principal Applicant (your partner) has.

Arthur123

Jul 12, 2012
Keden said:
I think this must have something to do with the type of permit the Principal Applicant has i.e. student vs work.

My husband has a closed work permit and through that I obtained an open risk merchant account work permit. I walked into the RAMQ office and was able to apply for my RAMQ card with no hassle at all. There was no issue at all.

The only reason I can think why they wouldn't approve your application is because of the type of work permit the Principal Applicant (your partner) has.
I think the same, bye

dsan_01

Star Member
Sep 17, 2013
I am facing the exact same issue and really bad news is even we are not eligible for health insurance provided by my company.

My profile : My spouse is University student in Montreal. I got open work permit and now RAMQ is refusing to give me health insurance. Due to this my company insurance provider is not covering me. I am literally forced to survive on travel insurance.

I don't have words to express my frustration.

Anybody found any workaround, please share.

BDavid

Jan 26, 2015
Hi,

I am in the same situation. I am a student at Concordia University and through me my fiance obtained an open work permit, but she can't get covered due to the above mentioned reasons in this thread.
Anybody solved this issue or has any suggestions?

dsan_01

Star Member
Sep 17, 2013
There is nothing one can do. This is the case only with spouses of student which are on Open work permit.
Only thing one can do is to get private medical coverage which has this requirement that one has to apply for it within certain amount of time of entering in Canada (i think 30 days)