+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant, moving to Ontario at 7 months, Have health card but am I eligible?

navneet1983

Star Member
Jul 21, 2011
Hi All

After we received our immigration, we landed in Ontario in July last year and got our PR cards and SIN numbers made. We rented out an apartment from our relatives and applied for health card. However, for some family reasons, we had to immediately come back to our home country. Our health card arrived at our rented accommodation after the 3 months waiting period (but we were not physically present for 3 months) and was collected by our relatives.

Now , I'm pregnant and plan to move to Canada after wrapping up here in a few months. I will be 7 months pregnant.

My question is - although technically I do have the health card, am I eligible for the health cover? Do I have to inform the authorities about my limited stay. I may not complete three months before my delivery. Out of curiosity, when are such details checked, does the hospital check your landing details? Or this will be checked when the claim goes for payment to the relevant authority. Example - if I visit a doctor in Ontario and show my health card, when will I be informed that I am supposed to pay for my visit and I'm not covered under OHIP

Secondly, is there a chance that I now move to Alberta instead? I understand I will be covered since day one including pregnancy. But I have to stay
153 days to ensure my OHIP coverage remains valid and I'm not asked to pay later. BUT what if I move to any other province before the 153 says (say my husband gets a job) or worse return to my home country.

Many thanks for your time and reply!!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
navneet1983 said:
My question is - although technically I do have the health card, am I eligible for the health cover? Do I have to inform the authorities about my limited stay. I may not complete three months before my delivery. Out of curiosity, when are such details checked, does the hospital check your landing details? Or this will be checked when the claim goes for payment to the relevant authority. Example - if I visit a doctor in Ontario and show my health card, when will I be informed that I am supposed to pay for my visit and I'm not covered under OHIP
First, no you are not covered as you didn't maintain the OHIP residency obligations. You will need to wait 3 months after returning to Ontario before being eligible for health coverage again.

OHIP can check your eligibility at any time - before, during or after your time using OHIP. In many cases OHIP doesn't check the residency obligation of every single person using healthcare, so many times they won't know if you've been outside Canada or not. However even if you didn't tell the hospital you were away and get covered for everything at the time... at any time in the future if OHIP does a review of your file and sees you weren't eligible they will back-charge you for all the costs you incurred.

BUT what if I move to any other province before the 153 says (say my husband gets a job) or worse return to my home country.
Same as with OHIP. If you don't maintain the Alberta residency obligation and they find out, they will back-charge you for the full cost of any healthcare you received.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're better off paying for the costs of the delivery and any pre-natal care yourself than trying to cheat the system.

We've seen several cases here where people were caught after cheating the system and the amount of money the province charged them for using services they weren't entitled to use for free was several thousands more than if they had just paid for this care out of their own pocket.

Short answer: You won't be entitled to free health care until you've returned to Canada and lived here for three months. If you cheat the system - expect to be caught.

navneet1983

Star Member
Jul 21, 2011
Thanks Rob and Scylla... I have no intention to Cheat, I was only trying to understand how this works

Well now we have planned to move early say 1 September so we will be covered by time time of my due date (late December). Yes we know that in case of a premature delivery, we will have to bear the costs but we are taking that risk and prepared for that expense

Thanks!

rzw

Jun 22, 2015
hi dear,
any body how guide me in this issue, MAY GOD BLESS him/her in this regard.

I am coming back to Ontario after a long time , with my family, all health cards has been expired.
I am coming to stay permanantely.
delivery is due after 45 days.

will the hospital will take the CASE/ patient?
so how much i have to pay in hospital?
will i get any refund latter?

Thanks.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
navneet1983 said:
Thanks Rob and Scylla... I have no intention to Cheat, I was only trying to understand how this works

Well now we have planned to move early say 1 September so we will be covered by time time of my due date (late December). Yes we know that in case of a premature delivery, we will have to bear the costs but we are taking that risk and prepared for that expense

Thanks!
If born premature, you have to bear the cost. But the post-natal will be covered

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
rzw said:
hi dear,
any body how guide me in this issue, MAY GOD BLESS him/her in this regard.

I am coming back to Ontario after a long time , with my family, all health cards has been expired.
I am coming to stay permanantely.
delivery is due after 45 days.

will the hospital will take the CASE/ patient?
so how much i have to pay in hospital?
will i get any refund latter?

Thanks.
Your question has already been answered here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/expired-health-card-pregnancy-ontario-t309854.0.html

You will have to pay - there will be no refund later.

navneet1983

Star Member
Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for your revert again! I have a couple of more follow up queries

- When I re-enter Canada, do I have to re apply for OHIP? Or my previous OHIP will automatically get reinstated after my 3 month wait period is over?

In other words , lets say I go on August 1, and I do not apply for fresh OHIP. My baby is born on 15 December (which means my 3 month wait period is over), in that case, will I still need to pay and get it reimbursed later OR do I need to do any formalities to ensure a cash less hospitalization

- What are the documents they ask when I visit any doctor or hospital for this purpose

Jun 30, 2015
Hello,

Sorry to hijack this thread but I cannot figure out how to start a new topic.

Me and my partner (both foreigners) are moving to Alberta in September. I have a work permit in the university for a year and will be enrolled in AHCIP. My common-law partner is unable to apply for a common-law work visa until September 18th, the date we can prove we have lived together from. Once her visa has arrived, she will be eligible for AHCIP health care.

However, she is pregnant and I am unsure how long her visa will take to process. I wondered how she can access prenatal care in the interim period before she is eligible for healthcare. We have read midwifery and prenatal care is taken care of by Alberta Health Services (not AHCIP). Is that right? Can you let me know if she has free access during the interim period?

Do let me know if you need any more information.

Many thanks,

Cristian and Hannah