+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant Live-In Caregiver

ann_82

Feb 11, 2010
Hi everyone!

I need some advice please.. I'm currently under the Live-in Caregiver program and have completed 21 of the 24 months requirement for PR. I'll achieve the 24-month period this May but my work permit doesn't expire until July 1, 2010. My employer is willing to extend the contract and work permit for as long as I want.

Just yesterday I found out that I'm pregnant. I have a Canadian boyfriend who I see and live with during weekends and vacations. We were planning on getting married in 2011 (after all the paperwork) but plans have to change since we found out about the baby.

Questions:
> If I live out of my employer's house, that's illegal right? So should I stay living at my employer's house until May?
> Will I get deported for being pregnant?
> Am I entitled to EI Maternity? I thought I saw on the PR Application guide that I should be able to financially support myself and prove that I will not need subsidy from the government. Would maternity EI count? Does my fiance have to sign support contract for me?
> Which option is better (for papers): Still apply under the LCP after 3 months or get married asap? (because we're still getting married in any case, it's just the date that will be different)
> Should I apply for work permit extension now, then file another open work permit/PR application in May? Or just wait for the open permit and have implied status while waiting?
> Am I allowed not to work after my work permit expires and just wait for the open one? It said on the application that I could continue working if the status and the employer doesn't change. It didn't really say what happens after that. Will it be legal if I live with my fiance after my work permit expires?

Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

eunice

Jan 17, 2010
ARE YOU A FILIPINA?I HAVE READ ABOUT JADE CASE IN HERE..YOU MAYBE TRY TO READ HER PROFILE AND YOU CAN GET SOME INFORMATION ABOUT IT..TAKE A LOOK !MATERNITY LEAVE..

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
ann_82 said:
Hi everyone!

I need some advice please.. I'm currently under the Live-in Caregiver program and have completed 21 of the 24 months requirement for PR. I'll achieve the 24-month period this May but my work permit doesn't expire until July 1, 2010. My employer is willing to extend the contract and work permit for as long as I want.

Just yesterday I found out that I'm pregnant. I have a Canadian boyfriend who I see and live with during weekends and vacations. We were planning on getting married in 2011 (after all the paperwork) but plans have to change since we found out about the baby.
Questions:
> If I live out of my employer's house, that's illegal right? YES So should I stay living at my employer's house until May? YES, if s/he'll let you.
> Will I get deported for being pregnant? No. It is not illegal to get pregnant :)
> Am I entitled to EI Maternity? I thought I saw on the PR Application guide that I should be able to financially support myself and prove that I will not need subsidy from the government. Would maternity EI count? Does my fiance have to sign support contract for me? I think Leon posted something to the fact before, that a live in caregiver would be eligible for maternity EI.
> Which option is better (for papers): Still apply under the LCP after 3 months or get married asap? (because we're still getting married in any case, it's just the date that will be different) Probably getting married. You can start processing PR app once you have the marriage certificate and have gathered the evidence that your relationship is genuine. (having a baby is not enough proof :()
> Should I apply for work permit extension now, then file another open work permit/PR application in May? Or just wait for the open permit and have implied status while waiting? Yes, apply for a work permit extension just to make your work permit (take a while for the processing if you'd be applying for same employer) and TRV current. Then apply for the PR/OWP when you have completed the required number of months.
> Am I allowed not to work after my work permit expires and just wait for the open one? It said on the application that I could continue working if the status and the employer doesn't change. It didn't really say what happens after that. Will it be legal if I live with my fiance after my work permit expires? I don't know about this but if this is true then another member's problem is not really a problem at all :)
Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

ann_82

Feb 11, 2010
@eunice: yes, i am filipina. and yes, i did read jade's post about it. though i'm still a bit confused.

@job_seeker: thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and for the help! :)

i don't think my boss wil have any problem with it. she knows me, my fiance and our families.

i guess what still bothers me is if EI Maternity leave would count as "getting subsidy from the government", therefore even if I am eligible for it, I can't go on EI because (for PR application) I need to be able to prove that I can support myself financially. Or maybe my fiance should get the support declaration for me?Does that make sense? I am quite confused right now, I'm sorry. And in Jade's case, I guess she could go on EI Maternity since she's not applying for PR yet (at the time that she posted that question).

Anybody know how much a civil wedding would cost? I mean, just for the administrator or whatchamacallit. :)

And yes, the relationship is genuine. We've been together for about a year and a half. but what kind of proof, like pictures and stuff? got lots of those

Thanks for all your help!

wounded

Nov 2, 2011
Hi to everyone there,

please i need some advices..im a live-in caregiver and ive been one year working in the family. i just found out that im pregnant which is so sad for me bcoz im still on working permit..my working permit will expire on 2013 coz i just renewed. my question is how if my employer find out that im pregnant, is he/she can terminate me or release me as his/her employee?.however i will not let them know and i will still work til i can but when the time that my belly show up and i cannot hide it anymore and then they will decide not to work with them anymore.. what is my status then?? should i find another employer to transfer my work permit? but how its gonna be if im pregnant? do i have the rights as a pregnant under working permit? what are my rights? and the worst thing is my boyfriend is missing. i dont know what to do, its a big mistake..

I am very much appreciated ur response, thanks..

sydneywhite

Star Member
Aug 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wounded said:
Hi to everyone there,

please i need some advices..im a live-in caregiver and ive been one year working in the family. i just found out that im pregnant which is so sad for me bcoz im still on working permit..my working permit will expire on 2013 coz i just renewed. my question is how if my employer find out that im pregnant, is he/she can terminate me or release me as his/her employee?.however i will not let them know and i will still work til i can but when the time that my belly show up and i cannot hide it anymore and then they will decide not to work with them anymore.. what is my status then?? should i find another employer to transfer my work permit? but how its gonna be if im pregnant? do i have the rights as a pregnant under working permit? what are my rights? and the worst thing is my boyfriend is missing. i dont know what to do, its a big mistake..

I am very much appreciated ur response, thanks..
Hello! Congratulations for that blessing, you will now have a Canadian Baby! Don't worry, you have your rights as a Pregnant Woman, check on it at Service Canada & HRSDC website. I have been in your sit'n before & my employer cannot terminate me because of the law here in Canada for Pregnant Women. So I also worked until I can & been on MATERNITY LEAVE for a year after giving birth. How long have you been working in your Employer? Take care & God bless always!

coffee_po

Dec 30, 2011
Hi wounded,

I have almost the same situation as yours...I just wanted to ask were you able to get answers on your questions? because i also do have the same questions as yours.I just arrived here in Canada a few mos ago and I am 2 mos pregnant now. my boyfriend is missing too. I'm scared but i still want to keep my baby. I hope we could keep in touch.

jd_1989

Jun 24, 2013
Pregnant Live-In Caregiver Candidate

HI everyone.. I just wanted to ask another question.. but related to this one.. I am under LCP program.. but I am not yet finished in processing.. I already signed my contract with my employer but I need to wait for LMO processing and then visa processing. If I become pregnant while waiting for my application, will I be disqualified for the program? Please help me.. I am so scared of asking and also I do not have anyone to ask in here.. Thank you..

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Being pregnant itself doesn't disqualify you from the program, but if your employer feels you can no longer do the job, they can terminate you. It's a rather heartless thing to do, but it does happen.

You may also have a very difficult time finding a new employer if you are pregnant. Discriminate against pregnant women is illegal, but also very real. Unless they say "we won't hire you if you're pregnant" then you can't really prove they are discriminating.

It is possible your employer can withdraw your LMO if you're pregnant before you land. It's also possible the IO can refuse you entry into Canada, even if you possess a work permit, if you're pregnant if the IO feels you won't leave Canada.

Reactions: Pamflores