+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pregnancy and delivery while waiting for PR?

Gemini020

Oct 11, 2015
Hi everyone,
We're about to apply for a permanent residency for me, on the common law program. I am moving to Canada on either a visitor or working holiday visa before the PR will be processed (as it might take 1,5 year) and we were hoping to start our own family as soon as possible. I was wondering if anyone has any information on the costs of standard pregnancy check ups and delivery in BC.

If we wait until I am living in Canada, I can get insurance but this insurance is really expensive and we would like to start before I move. Therefor I would like to know what it would cost us in case we don't get that expensive insurance (but a basic one covering emergencies etc only) or if I happen to get pregnant before I can even get that insurance (they won't let me apply before I emigrate).

thanks in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cost of delivery in Canada can easily be between $5,000 and 10,000 and if there are complications, it could even be a lot more. The baby will however be covered from birth.

Gemini020

Oct 11, 2015
Thank you for your reply. That is quite costly, though no unaffordable.

However, in another thread I read that you can get MSP while waiting for the PR to be processed (after sponsership has been approved). You seem to know lots, can you confirm this? I understand the three month (or 2 and whatever) waiting period is still in place but it would still be a big win

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible/applicants-for-permanent-resident-status

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are applying inland, it is possible that you can get MSP coverage after first stage approval. However, first stage approval can take a long time. If you are on a working holiday visa, it is also possible that you can get coverage. I know they tell you on the program that you don't and should buy your own insurance but at least some provinces still cover you if you apply.

Gemini020

Oct 11, 2015
Thanks again. It doesn't work if you apply outland though? I couldn't get that from the information on the website (http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible/applicants-for-permanent-resident-status)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They say in some cases and in some cases they usually take to mean inland. However, it's still worth a try. One guy managed to get OHIP to overturn their decision on covering his wife who was applying outland. You would have to talk to MSP and see what they are willing to do.

Gemini020

Oct 11, 2015
In case other people are reading this too, in another post (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/can-i-be-added-to-my-husbands-health-insurance-before-pr-t366210.0.html) there are some people who've gotten coverage while applying outland. I think persistence is key.