+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

hienha

Sep 6, 2016
Hi. What is the risks of applying PGWP at the border? I have my visa (TRV) has expired but my study permit is till valid. Some people tell me not to go as it is very risky (Border officer may not allow me to return to Canada after I cross the borther because I do not have a valid TRV).

I need the PGWP as soon as possible because I am going back home this December. If I apply online I dont think I have enough time to get my both of my PGWP and the new TRV before December.
(I know I need a PGWP before apply for a new TRV. At this point, I have know idea how long it will take to process a new TRV)

Thank you very much. I really need help.

rawnasareeb

Jul 17, 2017
Applied June 8th, hasn't received an approved message yet but it shows this :

Is everything okay? Why don't I have an approval letter or messages?

June 8, 2017 05:36:22 a.m. EDT Approved Read

Document Status Help
Name Unique Client Identifier (UCI) Document Document number Status Expiry Date Status Updated Date Travel document Number Country of Issue
xxx xxx Work Permit xxx Your document is valid. 2020/08/17
have you received a letter in a new message stating that your PGWP has been approved? or is it just your status which changed to approved?

tan6496

Aug 2, 2017
Toronto
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
16-12-2014
Hi. What is the risks of applying PGWP at the border? I have my visa (TRV) has expired but my study permit is till valid. Some people tell me not to go as it is very risky (Border officer may not allow me to return to Canada after I cross the borther because I do not have a valid TRV).

I need the PGWP as soon as possible because I am going back home this December. If I apply online I dont think I have enough time to get my both of my PGWP and the new TRV before December.
(I know I need a PGWP before apply for a new TRV. At this point, I have know idea how long it will take to process a new TRV)

Hey, I would strongly recommend not to go for flagpoling without a valid trv as it is a huge risk even though you have a valid permit. You can check out other forums regarding flagpoling online and lots of people there recommended not to do it as well. Best bet would be to apply for PGWP online and wait, hopefully, they will reduce the processing time in the later days.

Reactions: hienha

hienha

Sep 6, 2016
Hey, I would strongly recommend not to go for flagpoling without a valid trv as it is a huge risk even though you have a valid permit. You can check out other forums regarding flagpoling online and lots of people there recommended not to do it as well. Best bet would be to apply for PGWP online and wait, hopefully, they will reduce the processing time in the later days.
I see. Thank you very much.

Prat123

Aug 19, 2017
Hey Guys,

This thread has been a wonderful source of information about PGWP related queries. So, I had applied on June 3rd and my PGWP got approved on 18th August. Now I need to apply to extend my TRV as soon as I receive my PGWP. I was wondering about how flagpoling works in this regard. Can I flagpole to get my TRV also? If yes, then can someone please help me with the process... I have to travel back home asap to run a couple of urgent errands and need to obtain a TRV asap as I am on an expired TRV but a valid permit.

Appreciate any information/ help in this regard.

Cheers!

stan87

Jul 28, 2017
I applied on June 8th, got updated on the web yesterday and received a message in the application today.
total: 72 days

My wife applied on June 10th, she got updated 2 days ago and also got approved today.
total: 70 days.

Good luck to you all! you guys' been incredibly helpful!
Cheers

God of war

Aug 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Guys,

This thread has been a wonderful source of information about PGWP related queries. So, I had applied on June 3rd and my PGWP got approved on 18th August. Now I need to apply to extend my TRV as soon as I receive my PGWP. I was wondering about how flagpoling works in this regard. Can I flagpole to get my TRV also? If yes, then can someone please help me with the process... I have to travel back home asap to run a couple of urgent errands and need to obtain a TRV asap as I am on an expired TRV but a valid permit.

Appreciate any information/ help in this regard.

Cheers!
No you can't do flag-poling for TRV. apply online for TRV.

God of war

Aug 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

If you don't have a valid TRV, I would suggest not to go to border for flag-poling. Other then that, it is fine to do flag-poling. It's quick.I did flag-poling for my PGWP as well.

klgirl

Star Member
May 2, 2017
Hi Guys, when does one actually applies for PWGP? Is it after one graduates or can we apply like 6 months before graduation?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi Guys, when does one actually applies for PWGP? Is it after one graduates or can we apply like 6 months before graduation?
You can only apply when you have your course completion letter and must apply within 90 days of completing your course and importantly before your study permit expires. Once you have submitted your application you can start work pending a decision. This is all explained on the CIC site.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp