+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate needed for Work Permit @ POE?

Oct 4, 2017
Hi All,

Thanks so much in advance for any clarity or help you can offer. Here is my situation: I'm moving to Quebec for work, hoping to attain a work permit at the border Port of Entry when I make the move via road-trip. I'm a US citizen/TRV exempt, also coming for an LMIA exempt/CAQ exempt position (religious/charitable position category). Position for at least 1 year. Seems like a simple case, but I do have some questions about a POE permit application that I continue to see mixed answers to...

Q1: Is a Police Certificate/FBI check required for POE permit applications? The general consensus seems to be that those are not needed, or at least rarely requested. I have read of similar cases that said it was not needed... but the government website is mixed: It says in some places that it "may be" needed, & lists it on the document checklist for those residing for more than 6 months (that one makes me nervous)... However in other places on their website (on the "applying at the port of entry" section: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=171&top=17) it is not listed as needed. Most people from visa-exempt countries say it was not. Can someone confirm for me that the police certificate is not required for a visa-exempt POE application? I hope to move very soon (2-3 weeks) -- and an application for clearance from the FBI could add months on to my wait time... If it is needed I need to get on that ASAP!

So far, to have all other bases covered, I am bringing: (1) job offer & contract signed, (2) employment #/proof of LMIA exemption, (3) passport/photocopies, (4) proof of qualifications/CV, diplomas, transcripts, recommendations, etc., (5) bank statement, and (6) photos.

Q2: This is a bit of an aside - but all this being said, does it matter where I enter? Which province/which POE? I've assumed it doesn't matter.... however, I know Quebec is a little strange. I've assumed that each POE can handle a Quebec case, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm residing in Seattle, not far from the BC border. Was thinking of possibly making a border-run to BC to get the work-permit, instead of en-route on the road-trip to move... seems safer than driving 5 days to Ontario or Quebec & potentially having something go wrong there... anyone have experience with that?

Apologies for how lengthy this is! Any two cents you can pitch in would be a great help... would love to hear of similar cases and how those worked out... Thanks a million!