+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning to move in Alberta as a student

jap

Mar 14, 2013
Hi I'm an immigrant and currently residing in Ontario(probably an hour or two drive east of Toronto) with my family, but currently I am planning to move out from my parents. The reason I plan to move from Ontario to Alberta is because I'm in my early 20's and i want to explore around Canada. Its been very hard for me to find jobs here in my place its because I'm either overqualified in jobs i apply for, and under-qualified in the jobs available in the area. I'm an undergraduate computer engineering student in my country, and for these reasons I want to continue my studies. I dont particularly like Toronto its because it feel like cramped and I grew up in a city area and I'm already tired in that kind of ambiance.

1. I just want to know what should I be prepared of and be expecting if I plan to move to Alberta, say Calgary or Edmonton. Will the cost of living be expensive? Its actually my first time living alone.
2. How much money should i bring. I actually saved a couple of thousand dollars already.
3. I plan to get a student loan but im not sure what should I apply for: OSAP or an Alberta OSAP equivalent(which Im not sure if there is)
4. Should I look for apartments online before going there, or should i just look for it when im there. (I mean looking looking for apartments without seeing it personally is pretty risky)
5. Would it be hard for me to look for a job under my circumstances? (and top of that im studying)
6. Should I just continue my computer engineering or pursue a different career in Alberta?

Thank you in advance.

Mech_1983

May 25, 2014
Hi I'm an immigrant and currently residing in Ontario(probably an hour or two drive east of Toronto) with my family, but currently I am planning to move out from my parents. The reason I plan to move from Ontario to Alberta is because I'm in my early 20's and i want to explore around Canada. Its been very hard for me to find jobs here in my place its because I'm either overqualified in jobs i apply for, and under-qualified in the jobs available in the area. I'm an undergraduate computer engineering student in my country, and for these reasons I want to continue my studies. I dont particularly like Toronto its because it feel like cramped and I grew up in a city area and I'm already tired in that kind of ambiance.

1. I just want to know what should I be prepared of and be expecting if I plan to move to Alberta, say Calgary or Edmonton. Will the cost of living be expensive? Its actually my first time living alone.
2. How much money should i bring. I actually saved a couple of thousand dollars already.
3. I plan to get a student loan but im not sure what should I apply for: OSAP or an Alberta OSAP equivalent(which Im not sure if there is)
4. Should I look for apartments online before going there, or should i just look for it when im there. (I mean looking looking for apartments without seeing it personally is pretty risky)
5. Would it be hard for me to look for a job under my circumstances? (and top of that im studying)
6. Should I just continue my computer engineering or pursue a different career in Alberta?

Thank you in advance.
Your questions were never answered by anyone but are the genuine questions in my mind.
Did you find the answer for yourself ? I would be highly thankful if you can advise after 4 years of your personal experience.

Thank