+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Philippine nurses: Pinoy RN License Canada

dhebby

Oct 11, 2012
helo... hingi sana ako ng advice.

I am a landed immigrant here in Vancouver. Ung fiance ko, graduating next yr then magtatake siya ng board exam on December. Hopefully makapasa xa. ang tanong ko, plano ko siya kunin dito.kelangan pa ba niya ng experience as a registered nurse? kelangan pa ba niya magtake ng nclex or any exams para maging nurse xa?

pls help.. tnx

pickednotes

Star Member
Oct 26, 2011
dhebby said:
helo... hingi sana ako ng advice.

I am a landed immigrant here in Vancouver. Ung fiance ko, graduating next yr then magtatake siya ng board exam on December. Hopefully makapasa xa. ang tanong ko, plano ko siya kunin dito.kelangan pa ba niya ng experience as a registered nurse? kelangan pa ba niya magtake ng nclex or any exams para maging nurse xa?

pls help.. tnx
As far as I know, as long as you're the principal applicant ma'm, no need for him to undergo any nursing exam or experience. But it would be better if meron. :)

This is a very inspiring thread. I can't help but to share my experiences and feelings about my Canadian endeavours (so far).

I was a registered nurse in the Philippines for over 4 years. I came from one of the prestigious DOH hospitals in the metro. I landed here in Vancouver, BC last June as a PR. I had all hopes that the nursing transition was manageable. But alas, I recently had the revelation that the CRNBC will NOT give a license that easy. To be an RN (at least here in BC), requires the foreign applicant to achieve a relatively high score in the IELTS. At least 7 to 7.5 in all language assessments. Granting you pass the IELTS, you will then have your credentials assessed. If CRNBC comes up with an "undetermined" result of the evaluation, you WILL undergo the SEC (a competency test) , which consists of a written and an oral exam. The oral exam will simulate a certain hospital setting/scenario (complete with actors) and a panel will "judge" you depending on the nursing functions you have performed. Eventually, if you satisfy the panel, they will either give you a recommendation to go for the board exams or undergo a bridging program. The panel or "the board of nursing" by the way does NOT consist of nurses and have nothing to do with health care. But they are the ones who will give the final say if you will engage in a bridging program or immediately take the CRNE (provincial boards). Studying can take up to 2 years which will surely cost more than a million pesos. True, student loans are available, but it is still a burden to bear even though you are working part time. And if ever you pass the boards, you still have to update your knowledge to streamline your qualifications to Canadian standards. Again, money and time will be involved. Finally, if you do ever get all of these requirements, it will not be easy to find permanent RN work. One has to make do with part-time RN work (community, elderly care, etc) and inevitably one has to deal with seniority in applying. Meaning the less experience you have, the lesser chance to find work here. More and more nurses are leaving BC to work in other provinces. All information I have provided came from various sources, from RN's to (RN) care aides, household cleaners and nannys (all are RNs in the Philippines) that had the same sad story, at least here in BC.

Some of my friends who are excellent nurses in the Philippines, had different stories. While some had disappointing stories, others were successful. Let me mention two unusual scenarios of some people that I know who are also nurses, either by profession or by title in the Philippines. One nurse that I know, had 5 years experience at the Makati Medical Center as an E.R. nurse and another 5 years E.R. experience in UAE. As well as a year's preceptor-ship program in the U.S. for E.R. nursing. Unfortunately, he was made to undergo a bridging program and take the BC exams. Another friend who came from the Philippines had NO nursing experience whatsoever, was allowed to take the SEC and JUST the state boards. I ask, what is the basis of assessing one's credentials here? One word, nakakainis. Another friend of mine who is in Alberta, with more than a year's practice back home was recently made to take the WHOLE NURSING COURSE all over again. He is now undergoing an LPN course and will study for a year. And it cost him $25,000. I have talked to a lot of foreign nurses here, all of varying age, experience and stature, all have a story to tell regarding their lives here. While some pursued and became successful, others just gave up and settled with their way of life.

Currently, I have to take the IELTS again. Because I didn't meet the required scores (1 point na lang! :mad: ) At kaka kuha ko lang ng care aide registry number ko. So puede na akong mag apply as care aide. Right now, waiter po ako sa isang restaurant. From an individual who was saving lives, naging tagapunas at tagahugas ng plato dito sa Canada. :( Nevertheless, I will still fight on. As long as humanly possibly. Kakayanin ko.

My aim is to provide the truth and not discourage you guys. Eto lang ang na-eekspiryensya ko dito. Sa totoo lang had I known na ganito, di na ako umalis ng Pilipinas. You will discover a lot of things here in Canada. I learned that mas matimbang pa sa akin ang makapagpractice as nurse keysa kumita ng pera. Hope this helps.

Fight on!

van0818

Aug 14, 2012
pickednotes said:
As far as I know, as long as you're the principal applicant ma'm, no need for him to undergo any nursing exam or experience. But it would be better if meron. :)

This is a very inspiring thread. I can't help but to share my experiences and feelings about my Canadian endeavours (so far).

I was a registered nurse in the Philippines for over 4 years. I came from one of the prestigious DOH hospitals in the metro. I landed here in Vancouver, BC last June as a PR. I had all hopes that the nursing transition was manageable. But alas, I recently had the revelation that the CRNBC will NOT give a license that easy. To be an RN (at least here in BC), requires the foreign applicant to achieve a relatively high score in the IELTS. At least 7 to 7.5 in all language assessments. Granting you pass the IELTS, you will then have your credentials assessed. If CRNBC comes up with an "undetermined" result of the evaluation, you WILL undergo the SEC (a competency test) , which consists of a written and an oral exam. The oral exam will simulate a certain hospital setting/scenario (complete with actors) and a panel will "judge" you depending on the nursing functions you have performed. Eventually, if you satisfy the panel, they will either give you a recommendation to go for the board exams or undergo a bridging program. The panel or "the board of nursing" by the way does NOT consist of nurses and have nothing to do with health care. But they are the ones who will give the final say if you will engage in a bridging program or immediately take the CRNE (provincial boards). Studying can take up to 2 years which will surely cost more than a million pesos. True, student loans are available, but it is still a burden to bear even though you are working part time. And if ever you pass the boards, you still have to update your knowledge to streamline your qualifications to Canadian standards. Again, money and time will be involved. Finally, if you do ever get all of these requirements, it will not be easy to find permanent RN work. One has to make do with part-time RN work (community, elderly care, etc) and inevitably one has to deal with seniority in applying. Meaning the less experience you have, the lesser chance to find work here. More and more nurses are leaving BC to work in other provinces. All information I have provided came from various sources, from RN's to (RN) care aides, household cleaners and nannys (all are RNs in the Philippines) that had the same sad story, at least here in BC.

Some of my friends who are excellent nurses in the Philippines, had different stories. While some had disappointing stories, others were successful. Let me mention two unusual scenarios of some people that I know who are also nurses, either by profession or by title in the Philippines. One nurse that I know, had 5 years experience at the Makati Medical Center as an E.R. nurse and another 5 years E.R. experience in UAE. As well as a year's preceptor-ship program in the U.S. for E.R. nursing. Unfortunately, he was made to undergo a bridging program and take the BC exams. Another friend who came from the Philippines had NO nursing experience whatsoever, was allowed to take the SEC and JUST the state boards. I ask, what is the basis of assessing one's credentials here? One word, nakakainis. Another friend of mine who is in Alberta, with more than a year's practice back home was recently made to take the WHOLE NURSING COURSE all over again. He is now undergoing an LPN course and will study for a year. And it cost him $25,000. I have talked to a lot of foreign nurses here, all of varying age, experience and stature, all have a story to tell regarding their lives here. While some pursued and became successful, others just gave up and settled with their way of life.

Currently, I have to take the IELTS again. Because I didn't meet the required scores (1 point na lang! :mad: ) At kaka kuha ko lang ng care aide registry number ko. So puede na akong mag apply as care aide. Right now, waiter po ako sa isang restaurant. From an individual who was saving lives, naging tagapunas at tagahugas ng plato dito sa Canada. :( Nevertheless, I will still fight on. As long as humanly possibly. Kakayanin ko.

My aim is to provide the truth and not discourage you guys. Eto lang ang na-eekspiryensya ko dito. Sa totoo lang had I known na ganito, di na ako umalis ng Pilipinas. You will discover a lot of things here in Canada. I learned that mas matimbang pa sa akin ang makapagpractice as nurse keysa kumita ng pera. Hope this helps.

Fight on!

tamma ka po kaya ako mag-aaral ng healthcare management and administration kung sakali man hindi maging RN DYAN eh di pwede ako sa opisina ng hospital! kaso almost million din:)

well try ur luck guys dont worry!! remember .......the only failure in life is the failure to try and the only failure is when you stop trying!!
we entrust everything to GOD... He surely knows better than us...im excited sa white christmas

isohyeoh

Jun 29, 2012
Hi this is my first post. I was just reading your posts months ago before I came here. I thought I would remain a reader but when I came here, Sept. 25, 2012, I learned a lot. Most of the info I heard/ knew were not right.

First, I thought of having my credentials assessed for RN licensure here in Alberta and I was told to submit all the requirements in one setting. That includes IELTS, fee, and application form apart from the papers (OTR/Lic Reg) coming from my school and from PRC. The IELTS requirement is more than what I was told. Next, I thought of comparing RN assessment to that of LPN so I went to Norquest College. It seemed, to me,that the requirements are tougher. All Internationally Educated RNs are required to undergo refresher courses wherein you will submit required papers, enrol, pay, challenge some exams, and take mandatory courses! Still, IELTS is required to be eligible for the refresher course, but the required band score is lower. According to the college, it would take me about 18mos to complete the course.

I'm staying with 3 pinay LPNs and based on their stories the information I heard was not consistent. These 3 nurses had different experiences and that each of them came to Canada in different years. One came from the Philippines 4 years ago. She took LPN for 2 years. She took the full course here but she didn't take IELTS upon admission. She's now into 'online study' to become an RN and she said it would be completed in 7 years (she's working kasi so she studies on her free time). The other one has been an LPN for 16 yrs. Asked why didn't she upgade to RN and she said she doesn't need to (!). The last one took IELTs twice but her band scores were half a band lower than the required for LPN. She's preparing fr it again.

I'm now preparing for my IELTs.

Don't chase time to fulfill everything at the shortest period.Remember, everything has its own time (Ecc. 3:1-15)

jassie

Nov 2, 2012
I came to canada a year ago. Even before i left the Phils, i had everything fixed for CRNM (College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba) registration. I came here without knowing what to expect and what to do. It was a blessing that i got to know people who were in the process of getting their license also. I was told that everyone is required to undergo CCA (clinical competency assessment test) counterpart of SEC in other canadian provinces regardless where you are from and your experience as a nurse.
I took my ielts here since it expired during the application, and i got the required scores. Nagreview po ako ng 8 months before I had my CCA last August. And I praise God for helping me throughout the course of my preparation and during the exam, i passed and is required to take the CRNE right away without undergoing the bridging course. Kc po Mga 2 years ang waiting list before ka makapasok sa school for bridging course, ganun katagal. Kya what a relief.
Meron po ako ngaun graduate nurse license para makapwork habang nagrereview for CRNE pero hirap po makahanp ng work maybe because may factor pa rin na di ako graduate sa accredited institution nila dito. Pero sbi nmn nila pag-RN ka na madali na..that i have to see in the next coming months
It just takes patience and hardwork plus lots of prayers to guide us throughout our journey. Goodluck po sating lahat.

Reactions: Ems1025
Feb 13, 2011
i will make follow up update.. i did well sa challenge exam but di pa don natatapos. i have three mandatory subject and 7 weeks duty before taking board.. hirap na hirap na ako. sa financial, sa distance ng school and status ko.. i hope everythng will be ok . ok nmn sha slowly lng . hinay hinay pinag iiponan . after one subject about 2500 dollars plus book yung major mandatory subjet... kaya after iponan na namn bago maenrol... hahaist LORD so help me

Feb 13, 2011
joseph0926 said:
Very inspiring ang story mo, im also a nurse back home, with 1 and half year experience working in a secondary hospital, pero ngayun im working as a HCA dto sa UK, and student VISA same like you before... hirap maging nurse dto.... i took my IELTS, but i failed, though i have my clinical experience, but i need to pass my IELTS... ang galing mo, nabubuhayan ako nang loob pra mapursue ko ang pagiging nurse, just want to asked one question, i was planning to apply in canada, since i still have almost 1 year VISA here in UK, is there any chance for me to work as a nurse in canada... ? mukang dadaan din ako sa matinding hirap .... :) anyway, sana mafulfill mo lahat ng dreams mo, magigigng isa ka ding US-RN!! good luck, and godbless!
yes thanks.. how are you doing jan sa uk now

dhebby

Oct 11, 2012
hello.. im new here.. i just want to ask some advice.. i am a landed immigrant here in vancouver and still no job offered. I am a graduate of hotel and restaurant management in the philippines and i just want to know if my credentials can be used to find job? or do i still have to upgrade my skills? and also my husband is a rn in the philippines. i just want to know what should we do for him to practice his rn status here in vancouver.

thanks for the help.

wizardfox

Nov 23, 2012
hi karrie, im also a nursing grad just like you.. i want to ask you certain questions about all this things. i want to apply for canada but i dont know how. can i send you an email and ask you things to begin with? pls help me..

Ja_Sy

Sep 23, 2012
i graduated college here in Manila.. They said that canada doesnt acknowledge what education you have..all they require are canadian certificate.. My questions are.. Do i need to bring all of my school credentials..And i am planning also to take some units t have a certificate..what are the requirements to enroll? Thank you!

One more please..Are they going to ask my cert of employments when i am applying job?

darlenedina

Dec 16, 2012
hello po, first time ko po mag post dito, naghhanap lang ako ng mga katulad na sitwasyon. dumating po ako ng july dito sa vancouver as live in caregiver, ung auntie ko ang kumuha saken, pero on the process na ung lmo ko sa ibang employer.

ngreresearch po ako kung panu ako mgging rn dto at nkita ko nga ung sa crnbc, tanung ko lang po kung anu maganda gawin, unahin mag exam ng ielts o mag-apply na ng registration sa crnbc? pa-share naman po nung mga tips para po before ko talaga simulan ang process eh medyo handa na ako..
ang initial plan ko plang sana ai magtake ng ielts sa january then kapag pasa, hopefully, magapply ng registration sa crnbc.

naghhanap ako ng kaparehong case na live in caregiver din tas nagtuloy as nurse dito, problema pa din ung immigration status eh, antagal maging pr kapag caregiver, pero in a way okay na rin kase atleast habang ngpprocess ng license eh kahit ppanu kumikta na rin ng pera kahit minimum,

goodluck po sa lahat. very appreciated po ang replies. thanks

cagnocot3

Dec 14, 2012
jassie said:
I came to canada a year ago. Even before i left the Phils, i had everything fixed for CRNM (College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba) registration. I came here without knowing what to expect and what to do. It was a blessing that i got to know people who were in the process of getting their license also. I was told that everyone is required to undergo CCA (clinical competency assessment test) counterpart of SEC in other canadian provinces regardless where you are from and your experience as a nurse.
I took my ielts here since it expired during the application, and i got the required scores. Nagreview po ako ng 8 months before I had my CCA last August. And I praise God for helping me throughout the course of my preparation and during the exam, i passed and is required to take the CRNE right away without undergoing the bridging course. Kc po Mga 2 years ang waiting list before ka makapasok sa school for bridging course, ganun katagal. Kya what a relief.
Meron po ako ngaun graduate nurse license para makapwork habang nagrereview for CRNE pero hirap po makahanp ng work maybe because may factor pa rin na di ako graduate sa accredited institution nila dito. Pero sbi nmn nila pag-RN ka na madali na..that i have to see in the next coming months
It just takes patience and hardwork plus lots of prayers to guide us throughout our journey. Goodluck po sating lahat.

HELLO JASSIE,
I am bound to immigrate in manitoba, canada soon.... i would like to ask you what was your first step in applying for a registration in crnm while still in the philippines? SALAMAT KAAYO SA IMO REPLY, ;D

please add me on fb so that i can ask you some of your journey's experience. any insights from you is of great help for me.... thank you... you can email me through emman_sans@yahoo.com and i will immediately send you my fb add...

mcpabustan8

Jul 2, 2011
karrielove2004 said:
yes thanks.. how are you doing jan sa uk now
hi..i read your about your story of stuggle...im like you, a live in caregiver too and i had done my rn and lpn license processing in canada. I got my lpn license and will be having crne on feb....im still under the live in caregiver program so transitioning to RN or LPN would take time. im in bc....i also took sec and did some courses.

please email me at mcpabustan8@yahoo.com

thanks

mcpabustan8

Jul 2, 2011
darlenedina said:
hello po, first time ko po mag post dito, naghhanap lang ako ng mga katulad na sitwasyon. dumating po ako ng july dito sa vancouver as live in caregiver, ung auntie ko ang kumuha saken, pero on the process na ung lmo ko sa ibang employer.

ngreresearch po ako kung panu ako mgging rn dto at nkita ko nga ung sa crnbc, tanung ko lang po kung anu maganda gawin, unahin mag exam ng ielts o mag-apply na ng registration sa crnbc? pa-share naman po nung mga tips para po before ko talaga simulan ang process eh medyo handa na ako..
ang initial plan ko plang sana ai magtake ng ielts sa january then kapag pasa, hopefully, magapply ng registration sa crnbc.

naghhanap ako ng kaparehong case na live in caregiver din tas nagtuloy as nurse dito, problema pa din ung immigration status eh, antagal maging pr kapag caregiver, pero in a way okay na rin kase atleast habang ngpprocess ng license eh kahit ppanu kumikta na rin ng pera kahit minimum,

goodluck po sa lahat. very appreciated po ang replies. thanks
hi...paraho tayo ng case...nakapagumpisa na ko ng processing......madugo at matagal nga lang, kya tiis talaga....email me at mcpabustan8@yahoo.com

nellyver

Dec 27, 2012
hi,, bago lang po ako dito sa forum, i'm a rn here in the philippines currently working for one year and a half sa isang secondary hospital. and gusto ko sana po magapply bilang LPN sa canada, wala po akong kilala sa canada na pwede mag sponsor sa akin, and wala den po akong idea sa step by step na gagawn,, ask ko lang po na kung anu po mas maigeng gawen, through agency or through direct filing? kung mag agency po ba ako sila na po ba yung mag poprovide sa akin ng work jaan sa canada, and all i need to do is to just handle my papers to them? thank you po sa mga response.. happy new year :)