+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refused/ Flagpoling Immediately/ Few days left until visa! - Please Advice!

smrthyandy

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
Hello ,

It would be really kind if someone could take out time to reply to a question which I know has been answered a million times before but I am in a pretty bad situation so Thanks a ton in advance.

I recently applied for my Post graduation work permit and unfortunately it got refused saying I do not qualify for it although I meet all the requirements. I called the CIC agent and they have agreed to reconsider my case. They also asked me to re-apply for it.

Meanwhile Should I go to the US-Canada border and try to flagpole? I live 5 minutes away from the border. My student visa expires on January 23rd. Will I have a problem in Re-entry to Canada?
The only concern I have is the Re-entry. Also I am not sure if they do flagpole anymore? I dont want any trouble with the agents while my application is being reconsidered.

Please Advice.

Thank you so much

samanta60

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2017
AOR Received.
16-01-2017
IELTS Request
19-02-2017
File Transfer...
23-02-2017
Med's Done....
25-02-2017 (BG IP: 25-02-2017, BG NA: 09-03-2017, BG IP2: 25-03-2017)
Re: PGWP - Flagpoling - I appreciate all the help and advice! Please.

I think there are people here who can answer your question better than me. But why do you want to flagepole? I think usually flagepole is a way to activate a potential work permit/PR or I guess also to re-enter using a visa-exempt passport as a visitor (maybe I am wrong).

Do you have a visa-exempt passport?

smrthyandy

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
I want to flagpole as my visa expires on jan 23rd . I could reapply and wait for one more month. But If I lose my status , I cant work. And I feel this is just another option to go try my luck to see if I can get workpermit through flagpole.
No , I am from India. So I am not from a visa-exempt country

samanta60

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2017
AOR Received.
16-01-2017
IELTS Request
19-02-2017
File Transfer...
23-02-2017
Med's Done....
So to my understanding, your question is, if it is possible to apply for a PGWP on the border via flagpole.

Experts, please advice.
(sorry I don't have experience with this.)

samanta60

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2017
AOR Received.
16-01-2017
IELTS Request
19-02-2017
File Transfer...
23-02-2017
Med's Done....
Cann't you go on implied status? For work permits, it is like if you apply to renew your work permit BEFORE the current one expires then you are on implied status untill you receive the new permit. During implied status you can work (on the same job) and are legally residing in Canada.
I don't know if something like this applies to your case.

Smearingo

Star Member
May 17, 2016
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS / Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016 (received on 06-01-2016)
Doc's Request.
21-07-2016 (RPRF and PCC from Hong Kong)
Nomination.....
CSQ-PEQ-étudiant, issued: 23-12-2015, received: 30-12-2015
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
Med's Request
30-06-2016
Med's Done....
04-07-2016 (submitted 13-07-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-01-2017 (photocopy of passport pages [visa-exempt country] + 2 recent photos); documents sent: 05-01-2017, delivered: unknown (always "out for delivery" since 09-01-2017)
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Exempt Country, CoPR issued: 16-01-2017, GC-key/MyCIC account finalized: 19-01-2017, return envelope activated: 20-01-2017; CoPR received: 23-01-2017
LANDED..........
24-01-2017
I got my PGWP by flagpoling (indeed not exactly flagpoling, but I did a day trip in the US and applied for the PGWP on my way back at the PoE). It worked. Back then, my Study Permit was to expire in 2 more days. Everything went very smoothly if you got all the required documents in order (and no need to fill in the form).
Importantly, you need your passport, still-valid Study Permit, most updated official transcripts which show the grades of last semester and that you have completed all requirements of the programme, a letter from the registrar of your institution that states clearly that you have completed all requirements of the programme (and with a note saying that you have been registered full time from xx to xx --bcoz I did a research degree that involved dissertation, the transcripts show no grade or course taken during the dissertation writing semesters... and I was also asked about it at the PoE).--- I think those are all that are needed (hope I did not miss any item).

But I have a small concern that you have been refused (though erroneously) for this same application by the CIC. I believe you will be asked about it. So I would advise you to best prepare to explain why that refusal was a mistake. I am not sure if that refusal would matter for flagpoling. But yes, this will be quick. It takes less than 20 minutes. Good luck!

Reactions: sam_dawkins

alemom

Star Member
Oct 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 29, 2015
AOR Received.
March 15, 2016
Med's Request
Jun, 2016
Med's Done....
Jun, 2016
Passport Req..
Jan 06, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 19, 2017
LANDED..........
Jan 26, 2017
Smearingo said:
I got my PGWP by flagpoling (indeed not exactly flagpoling, but I did a day trip in the US and applied for the PGWP on my way back at the PoE). It worked. Back then, my Study Permit was to expire in 2 more days. Everything went very smoothly if you got all the required documents in order (and no need to fill in the form).
Importantly, you need your passport, still-valid Study Permit, most updated official transcripts which show the grades of last semester and that you have completed all requirements of the programme, a letter from the registrar of your institution that states clearly that you have completed all requirements of the programme (and with a note saying that you have been registered full time from xx to xx --bcoz I did a research degree that involved dissertation, the transcripts show no grade or course taken during the dissertation writing semesters... and I was also asked about it at the PoE).--- I think those are all that are needed (hope I did not miss any item).

But I have a small concern that you have been refused (though erroneously) for this same application by the CIC. I believe you will be asked about it. So I would advise you to best prepare to explain why that refusal was a mistake. I am not sure if that refusal would matter for flagpoling. But yes, this will be quick. It takes less than 20 minutes. Good luck!
Hi @Smearingo!
So, you did your landing already?
How long took your passport to go and come back from Ottawa?
All those documents you took with you (Study Permit, Transcripts, Letter from Registrar), how did you know that you have to take those with you? The passport came with some instructions?

Sorry, I need to know if I have to ask for some of those.

I'm editing because after reading carefully, I realize that you were talking when you went for your PGWP (Post Graduate Work Permit).

Anyhow, could you tell me how long is taking your passport to go and come?

Smearingo

Star Member
May 17, 2016
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS / Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016 (received on 06-01-2016)
Doc's Request.
21-07-2016 (RPRF and PCC from Hong Kong)
Nomination.....
CSQ-PEQ-étudiant, issued: 23-12-2015, received: 30-12-2015
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
Med's Request
30-06-2016
Med's Done....
04-07-2016 (submitted 13-07-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-01-2017 (photocopy of passport pages [visa-exempt country] + 2 recent photos); documents sent: 05-01-2017, delivered: unknown (always "out for delivery" since 09-01-2017)
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Exempt Country, CoPR issued: 16-01-2017, GC-key/MyCIC account finalized: 19-01-2017, return envelope activated: 20-01-2017; CoPR received: 23-01-2017
LANDED..........
24-01-2017
alemom said:
Hi @Smearingo!
So, you did your landing already?
How long took your passport to go and come back from Ottawa?
All those documents you took with you (Study Permit, Transcripts, Letter from Registrar), how did you know that you have to take those with you? The passport came with some instructions?

Sorry, I need to know if I have to ask for some of those.

I'm editing because after reading carefully, I realize that you were talking when you went for your PGWP (Post Graduate Work Permit).

Anyhow, could you tell me how long is taking your passport to go and come?
not yet :( You know I would share it in our thread before I go down to the PoE (if I got the CoPR). Indeed CanadaPost's tracking system, even for expensive services such as Xpresspost for local/domestic mail, is not reliable. My package was sent on Thursday January 5, around 18:00. The lady told me it would definitely arrive on Monday (but not Friday as I sent it in the evening). But on the tracking record, it has always remained in the status "out for delivery" since Monday morning. I came across several posts here, I believe it's normal, as someone explained that CIC received a lot of Xpresspost packages everyday, esp around the peak moment when a lot of ppl received PPR. And someone even suggested that they would check the PO Box every other day, and many of these envelopes will not be scanned, so we end up having the "out for delivery" status---but it's the case for many ppl, who finally knew their packages have long been received.

Flourish.

Jan 24, 2017
HELLO ALL
PLEASE I need your response.
I am trying to change my employer specific work permit to a new employer, the Job offer is in 2 weeks, and I need urgent processing.
-I want to know if i can flagpole ?
-which border to go to since i Live in Montreal for flapoling?

CSQ holder
PR in progress
TRV expired
Work permit Valid
job offer is registered on cic portal

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Flourish. said:
HELLO ALL
PLEASE I need your response.
I am trying to change my employer specific work permit to a new employer, the Job offer is in 2 weeks, and I need urgent processing.
-I want to know if i can flagpole ?
-which border to go to since i Live in Montreal for flapoling?

CSQ holder
PR in progress
TRV expired
Work permit Valid
job offer is registered on cic portal
You need a valid multiple entry TRV to flagpole.

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Smearingo said:
<snip>
Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread but I got worried seeing that you can get refused a PGWP. I just received my grad status and right now trying to comple my PGWP application online.

A CiC officer (Ottawa location) came to our campus and he told me that it is as simple as getting an extension of your Study Permit, as long as you have the papers and do it on time.

Is this the case?

One more question, in the IMM5710 form there's checkbox(yes/no) asking if I had my language (English) proficiency tested at a designated testing agency. When I apply to study in Canada I took TOEFL, which was one of the requirements, and I got into the program.

Do I check Yes or No?

Many Thanks!

Flourish.

Jan 24, 2017
scylla said:
You need a valid multiple entry TRV to flagpole.

Not true, do your research before answering people. I just flagpoled and I got my new work permit.
Read reg 90 paragraph f. For foreign nationals.

Reactions: rosamae

snex07

Apr 28, 2017
Hello,

Please help,

I have young professionals work permit (it is a closed work permit) and I need to change employer. If I apply through CIC online web form I will have to wait 46 days. My new employer won't wait for me that long.

Can I flagpole? I am in Edmonton!

Please advise

snagpal

Jul 25, 2017
Hello ,

It would be really kind if someone could take out time to reply to a question which I know has been answered a million times before but I am in a pretty bad situation so Thanks a ton in advance.

I recently applied for my Post graduation work permit and unfortunately it got refused saying I do not qualify for it although I meet all the requirements. I called the CIC agent and they have agreed to reconsider my case. They also asked me to re-apply for it.

Meanwhile Should I go to the US-Canada border and try to flagpole? I live 5 minutes away from the border. My student visa expires on January 23rd. Will I have a problem in Re-entry to Canada?
The only concern I have is the Re-entry. Also I am not sure if they do flagpole anymore? I dont want any trouble with the agents while my application is being reconsidered.

Please Advice.

Thank you so much
Hi,

Did you finally go for flag poling? Can you please share your experience? I have a similar case and need to know if this is the right way to go.

Thanks