+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pet health care

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is there any sort of public care system for pets as well?

If not, how expensive are the vets? Do pet owners normally acquire pet insurance?

Sorry if it sounds dumb, but in my country the system is all private, with very few people hiring pet insurance. On the other hand I have lived in Finland where you can find both private and public coverage for pets.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Is there any sort of public care system for pets as well?

If not, how expensive are the vets? Do pet owners normally acquire pet insurance?

Sorry if it sounds dumb, but in my country the system is all private, with very few people hiring pet insurance. On the other hand I have lived in Finland where you can find both private and public coverage for pets.
There is no public healthcare for pets.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I spent $89 for one single vaccine on my puppy several days ago.

MartinH1337

Star Member
Jul 6, 2017
I am a veterinarian, moving to Canada (hopefully) January 2018. Many of my friends from university are Canadian, and we have compared prices. You have to remember veterinarians in Canada leave university with $300,000 debt or more, and have expensive professional fees.

Regular consultations seem to be around $80-100, but are usually 30 minutes (compared to the 10 minute ones in UK and Europe).
Surgery varies, but neuters start around $250+, but surgical equipment and facilities in general are of a higher standard in America & Canada.

Pet care is private in Canada (and most countries I believe?)

Edit - I always recommend pet insurance - people forget that the equipment used for surgery/medical care/medication in pets is the exact same as humans, Therefore it costs almost the same to provide animals with care as it does for humans. You wouldn't want to pay your own medical bills upfront, so why would you want your wallet to suffer just because it's for a pet?