+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options for refundable health insurance for IEC visa

td1

Dec 11, 2015
Hi,

Could someone please recommend a local Canadian health insurance provider (not European or similar) that:
- is reliable and actually pays for claims
- is able to issue a prorated refund (they may add some fees, that's fine) should I need to cancel the policy (eg: the employer will provide a group policy or I will be leaving Canada earlier) -
- has policies for ~ 20 months

I am well aware of the existence of arbetovinsurance since the name appears on every single reply online - I'm looking for opinions (and past experiences) with actual providers rather than brokers.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just as an FYI - you can't benefit from an employer group policy if you are in Canada on an IEC. All employer group policies are predicated on having provincial health care coverage. Since you don't qualify for provincial health care coverage - you also will not qualify for any employer group policies. Additionally, employer group policies supplement provincial health care coverage - they don't replace it.

I know this isn't what you asked - but thought it would be worthwhile to pass on this info.

td1

Dec 11, 2015
Actually this is very valuable information, thanks for sharing.

It is a bit odd, I must say but each country has its particulars.

Thanks again

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Just as an FYI - you can't benefit from an employer group policy if you are in Canada on an IEC. All employer group policies are predicated on having provincial health care coverage. Since you don't qualify for provincial health care coverage - you also will not qualify for any employer group policies. Additionally, employer group policies supplement provincial health care coverage - they don't replace it.

I know this isn't what you asked - but thought it would be worthwhile to pass on this info.
you can actually. depends on the province. Many of them do give provincial coverage to people on IEC. In Ontario you need to be in the province 3 months and have an employment letter to qualify. BC and Alberta also do allow IEC holders get provincial coverage, I'm just not sure what their requirements are. Not totally sure about the other provinces, I think Sask do allow it, the others I have no idea.
But even when/if you do get provincial and/or group coverage, you cannot cancel the health insurance you took out. One of the IEC requirements is to maintain that coverage because it needs to cover repatriation. Provincial and Group coverage won't cover that.