+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opening a Canada Bank Account before moving

anoop_satheesh

Jul 21, 2017
Hi All,

I am looking to open a new bank account in Canada (Scotia bank) and to open a deposit only account before travelling. I am planning to travel in a month and I hope to send funds to this account before landing.

Anybody has done similar method and any suggestions for this?

Regards,
Anoop

francaispourquebec

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Hi All,

I am looking to open a new bank account in Canada (Scotia bank) and to open a deposit only account before travelling. I am planning to travel in a month and I hope to send funds to this account before landing.

Anybody has done similar method and any suggestions for this?

Regards,
Anoop
I recently opened bank accounts with RBC while staying abroad. Take a look at the newcomers package. The document requirements were pretty straightforward and the accounts were opened in a few days. There are a lot of people who vouch for TD as the better bank but I couldn't manage the process with them. Scotia was clear from the start that they wanted physical presence before accounts could be opened.

anoop_satheesh

Jul 21, 2017
thanks for the reply.
I kicked off RBS process, but they have lots of process that i need to do including notary affidavit etc..
Scotia was a quick process for me. I got the account number and I can do wire transfer the amount to that account number. But i need to land there to activate the bank account and to do any transaction.
Just want to confirm taking this route is ok?
Even RBS will open deposit only account for me and can be active once i land.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks for the reply.
I kicked off RBS process, but they have lots of process that i need to do including notary affidavit etc..
Scotia was a quick process for me. I got the account number and I can do wire transfer the amount to that account number. But i need to land there to activate the bank account and to do any transaction.
Just want to confirm taking this route is ok?
Even RBS will open deposit only account for me and can be active once i land.
Do you realize RBS is Royal Bank of Scotland? RBC is Royal Bank of Canada. This is two different banks.